The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Official Horror Film Discussion

I'm aware of the few other overall horror threads that were posted a while back, but they've also had no activity for a good while, so that being said....

it's time for a new one! What are some of your favorites? Which ones are the worst ones?

I'll start right off the bat by saying Hide and Seek is f*cking terrible. It's bad enough it was a film designed to get you hooked all the way to the end and then throws a twist for the finale (that didnt really make sense to begin with).
Another bad one is The Ouija Experiment, especially the sequel, dont see those...unless you like to be in for a bad time.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Another bad one is The Ouija Experiment, especially the sequel, dont see those...unless you like to be in for a bad time.
They are hilariously bad.

I really enjoy bad horror movies. Shark movies are a staple of Bad-Movie-Nights.

The Barrens 2012 (was named Jersey Devil on my Netflix) is pretty good, it balances well between what's real and what is not real through the movie.

The Hatched movies are not good, but pretty fun and inventive on the gore. A bit of low-rent Jason killer that lives in the swamps.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

The Only Horror Movies I like are Evil Dead 2 Dead by Dawn and the Halloween Movies.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I'm in the midst of writing a horror movie right now so I've been watching a huge string of horror flicks. Just watched Hellraiser last night.

My favourite horror* film is Scream. I know it has its share of problems but there's a real sense of fun included in the carnage.

I'm also a huge pusher for people to watch Beyond the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. If you like the slasher classics like Jason, Freddy, Michael.. check it out. It's amazingly charming.

*As a genre, "Horror" is typically misused to categorize any scary movie. By definition, Horror needs to have a supernatural element in the story to be deemed Horror. If it doesn't, such as the case of Scream, it's considered a Thriller.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

My favorite horror films are The Fly (1986), Alien, Psycho, Near Dark (1987), John Carpenter's The Thing, and Fright Night (1985).

Have any of you seen "Sleepaway Camp"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #6
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
*As a genre, "Horror" is typically misused to categorize any scary movie. By definition, Horror needs to have a supernatural element in the story to be deemed Horror. If it doesn't, such as the case of Scream, it's considered a Thriller.
I find this strange. If it were proven that there are beings in the universe like in The Thing, would that make The Thing a sci-fi/thriller instead of sci-fi/horror?

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:48 AM   #7
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
I find this strange. If it were proven that there are beings in the universe like in The Thing, would that make The Thing a sci-fi/thriller instead of sci-fi/horror?
You're entering a grey area but I'd suppose it'd be considered Science-Fantasy/Thriller.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:04 AM   #8
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

I tend to enjoy horror a lot more than thrillers.My favorite antagonists have to be the cenobites from Hellraiser. They're all business and don't quip like Freddy. I think the only thriller that gets my heart pumping is Saw and the subsequent films. Pitched down or not, Tobin Bell's voice never fails to give me the creeps. I'm still hoping he lends his voice to some ancient Sith Lord in a holocron in one SW thing or another. Other than Jigsaw, thriller baddies just don't do it for me.
blindturtle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:45 AM   #9
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Just watched this little... well, I was gonna say gem, but its not quite that.

I love late 90s/early 00's slasher flicks, as unremarkable as they might be. Probably due to nostalgia more than anything else: the cast, the clothing, the music(especially in this case) all have a way of making some pretty schlocky films quite endearing to me.

Not sure how this one managed to sneak by me for all these years, but I'm happy I saw it. It's no masterpiece and certainly doesn't break any new ground in the genre but it's still a fun little by the numbers slasher flick. Most of the death scenes are pretty uninspired but there's a couple stand outs, too.

And I don't care how many seasons of Bones he has under his belt, I still can't see David Boreanaz as anything but Angel.

All in all, a fun little flick. There's worse ways to burn 90 minutes.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I'm not a big fan of horror films, but I like a lot of them, mostly slashers from the late 90s onwards. My favourites are Scream, I Know What You Did That Summer, Wrong Turn, 28 Days Later, House on Haunted Hill (1999), Cabin in the Woods, Ghost Ship, and Tucker and Dale versus Evil. Ones I don't like are Urban Legend, The Final Girls, Small Town Folk and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (remake).

Last edited by Wesley; 08-29-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Just watched this little... well, I was gonna say gem, but its not quite that.

https://s15.postimg.org/g7y2ok50r/va...1020211110.jpg

I love late 90s/early 00's slasher flicks, as unremarkable as they might be. Probably due to nostalgia more than anything else: the cast, the clothing, the music(especially in this case) all have a way of making some pretty schlocky films quite endearing to me.

Not sure how this one managed to sneak by me for all these years, but I'm happy I saw it. It's no masterpiece and certainly doesn't break any new ground in the genre but it's still a fun little by the numbers slasher flick. Most of the death scenes are pretty uninspired but there's a couple stand outs, too.

And I don't care how many seasons of Bones he has under his belt, I still can't see David Boreanaz as anything but Angel.

All in all, a fun little flick. There's worse ways to burn 90 minutes.
I've seen this one...wasnt really a fan.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #12
Powder
So tired of this place

I mostly gravitate towards Troma & Japanese horror. Rubber creatures, gore, exploitation, they're my thing.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Rubber creatures, gore, exploitation, they're my thing.
Have you seen Killer Condom? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116791/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:04 AM   #14
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
I've seen this one...wasnt really a fan.
Yeah, like I said, there's nothing special about it. But I enjoy it for what it is. Or maybe since I watched it immediately after Slumber Party Massacre, which didn't really do much for me.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:03 AM   #15
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Yeah, like I said, there's nothing special about it. But I enjoy it for what it is. Or maybe since I watched it immediately after Slumber Party Massacre, which didn't really do much for me.
I saw Slumber Party Massacre a few months ago. It had some unique characters, but the overall story has been done better by other films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #16
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Old 08-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

My favorite horror films are

1. Psycho
2. Jaws
3. Halloween (original)
4. Misery
5. The Others

I think The Others is a really underappreciated film. Highly atmospheric.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #18
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I'm trying to think of some horror films but one I felt that was categorized as horror but I felt wasn't was Stephen King's Cat's Eye. I don't know if it was meant to be scary but truthfully it didn't know what it wanted to be.

Actually I did enjoy The Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson but that was probably more thriller than scary. I hated the ending though.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:08 AM   #19
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things

I like psychological horror such as Session 9 and Uzumaki, but I also enjoy the occasional giallo or zombie movie. It doesn't matter to me whether a horror film is cheesy or serious -- as long as keeps me engaged, then I'm able to enjoy it. I like directors such as David Cronenberg, Dario Argento, and John Carpenter. At the moment, I have taken an interest in grey market releases of movies that have either gone of out print or did not have a proper DVD release in the US. I thought I'd give a site called Twistedanger a try, so I ordered a movie from 1988 called The Brain, which basically is about a giant brain-like creature that goes around eating people. James Rolfe has talked about the movie before on Cinemassacre and he noticed the creature's similarities to Krang from the '80s cartoon, so that was a nice little tidbit. The movie is coming from the UK and I ordered it about a week ago, so even though it'll take a while to get here, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:12 AM   #20
Allio
Foot Elite

For horror tv show, try either Slasher or Darknet
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote