The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
HerpDerp
Hench Mutant

Ratings Discussion Thread

So, after months of promotion and anticipation, the show has finally premiered.
Nick is really relying on this show pulling big numbers, particularly in K6-11 and K12-17, where they've seen a steep drop in viewers over the last year or so.
What are your predictions?
For some perspective, Korra premiered to around 4.5mil viewers earlier this year. It didn't have anywhere near the level of promotion as TMNT, however, it was also highly anticipated and had the advantage of being a spin-off of an already successful Nick show with a large fanbase (Avatar).
Do you think TMNT will top that?

I will be posting the ratings in this thread as they become available, BTW.
HerpDerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

It'll be interested to see how good the Friday preview episode did too..
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

I think this will be WAY more successful than Korra. I can't wait to see the ratings
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
shezcrafti
Hench Mutant

Not that this is scientific or fact-based information in any way, but I checked in with my boyfriend's niece and nephew who are 7 and 9 and they were both extremely excited about this show. The boy in particular was saying how much he loves Ninja Turtles before this premiere happened (he's never seen any version of Turtles in his life, lol). Then there's my co-worker who has 2 girls aged 6 and 7 who have been talking this show up and I know they were both watching this morning.

From the pulse-read I've taken on the kids I know, it seems like NickTurtles is definitely on their radar.

Update -- I saw these kids again this past weekend and showed them my 11" Nick TMNT figures. They went freaking bananas over them! We all re-watched the first 2 eps together while we played with our toys. I had to apologize to their parents because now all they want for Christmas is Ninja Turtle stuff.

All of Raphael's Badassery in One Video
Spoiler:

Last edited by shezcrafti; 10-02-2012 at 01:35 PM.
shezcrafti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Scud
Hench Mutant

Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
I would love to hear what the ratings were.

I pvr'd the hour show and watched it over lunch with my son(6) and daughter(3). We all loved it.

New to the Technodrome? Why not introduce yourself here.
To read the forum rules click one. For guidelines on Buying/Selling/Trading click two.
Scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Heather Breckel
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I expect it to be at least as successful as Korra. The main disadvantage Korra had was it really helped to have seen Avatar:TLA first to fully enjoy it. TMNT might have the advantage there as they're starting fresh with this series. There's not many *good* action shows directed towards children these days so I expect it to do very well.
Heather Breckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #7
HerpDerp
Hench Mutant

Friday night cable ratings are in:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-more/150786/

The "Rise of the Turtles" preview got 2.295 million viewers. Not bad considering it had absolutely zero promotion.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
Coro
Mad Scientist

I hate to admit this on The Technodrome, but Avatar TLA was by far the best cartoon I have ever watched. The story and character development was unparallelled. A cartoon that can make you audibly gasp one minute, cry the next, and still laugh every episode really says something about any show, and for a cartoon its just mind boggling.

That being said, I have always been a Turtle fan and my 10y/o daughter seems to be into it. She seems to have the same excitement as when we watched Korra, and she DVRd it, but it was for me. We'll see where her excitement is in a few weeks.
Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

And that was just the advance preview! I'm predicting Saturdays Premiere is gonna have around 4 Million. Fingers crossed because it really deserves 10 million.
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
BAXTER STOCKMAN 19
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
Friday night cable ratings are in:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...s-more/150786/

The "Rise of the Turtles" preview got 2.295 million viewers. Not bad considering it had absolutely zero promotion.
Excellent! But we need to know how many users watched the premiere on saturday because it was advertised so much!
BAXTER STOCKMAN 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

So is that a good rating? better than 4kids?
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

That's hard to gauge. It's possible the 4Kids series broke 2 million at some point in it's run on Saturday mornings and Cartoon Network. Being on network television should have made that an easy task to accomplish but because TMNT 2003 started when Saturday morning ratings on network television were dropping dramatically it may have never even managed 2 million total viewers.

The 2003 cartoon may have actually done better when it was on Cartoon Network. I'll poke around on some ratings sites and such for some kind of comparison but we wont know the kid's ratings for TMNT until later this week or whenever Nick puts out a PR about them and I imagine they will if it did well.

Edit: Here's what I've found so far

The earliest info I can find at the moment is the 2003 series in 2006 was getting 1.3 with kids 6-11 (roughly 300,000 viewers 6-11). That's chump change to Nickelodeon. I wish I could find some 2003 or at least 2004 info when the 4Kids series was doing a lot better than that, at least in theory. There 2 hour Miguzi block ratings from CN back in April of 2004 averaged about 600,000 kids 6-11 (a rating of 2.6). Ratings ratios differ per demographic and we are only seeing the total viewer numbers for Nick TMNT so far and the ratings info for the 2003 show was mostly just for 6-11 but IMO it's the 6-11 that we need to see for Nick TMNT to gauge how well it is doing in comparison. I would be shocked to see TMNT get less than 1.5 million 6-11 and probably about 3 million total viewers.

Second Edit: More ratings

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rating...0201cartoon01/
In January of 2005 the Miguzi average was up to around 700,000 kids 6-11 and the 2-11 was above 1 million so the total viewer ratings for TMNT was assuredly above 1 million but maybe not even 2 million.

Third Edit: Finally something from the FOX BOX premiere ratings

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/tm...ings.34715212/

3.6 with 9-14 boys and a 1.0 with 9-14 boys is only about 120,000 so it got about 430,000 boys 9-14 on it's premiere. The 6-11 kids ratings were likely close to 1 million. These may not be the best ratings the 2003 series ever got but if it's any indication the Nick show is already off to a better start.

Last edited by Ninja Tiptup; 10-01-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Adding ratings information
Ninja Tiptup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
pannoni1
Foot Elite

Here is some ratings information with relation to the OT:

-Season 4 was #1 overall for that season. This article from 1990 shows how both half-hours are #1 not just for the time slot, but Saturday Morning Overall:
http://newspaperarchive.com/santa-fe...11-26/page-10/

-Season 5 had a 7.3 rating overall and a 26 share overall.

-On May 14, 1994 well into Season 7 reruns, the second half of TMNT had dropped to a 3.2 rating and a 12 share, in third place behind FOX and ABC.

This of course was before the Internet and Smartphones changed viewing habits. I'd wish DVR could count towards ratings. Still, as long as it has better ratings than 4kids, this show should last for awhile, though toy sales are another key factor, since good promotion could lead to a boost of viewership around the winter holidays to catch up on some reruns.

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
HerpDerp
Hench Mutant

Saturday premiere got 3.917 million viewers:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...0-2012/151014/
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
MrTMNT2012
Mad Scientist

So is this good enough for Nick or what?
MrTMNT2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
shezcrafti
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
Saturday premiere got 3.917 million viewers:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...0-2012/151014/
Wow! #7 overall? The only thing above it is sports. I know nothing about ratings, but that sounds...very good. Yes?

All of Raphael's Badassery in One Video
Spoiler:
shezcrafti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
HerpDerp
Hench Mutant

3.9 is good, but I expected it to do a lot better. It only got about 10% more viewers than the SpongeBob repeat preceding it.
Still, if it can hold on to enough of those viewers (there's usually a drop after the premiere) it should still be a strong performer for Nick. Maybe not as strong as Korra, but hopefully more consistent and longer-lasting (Korra was a bit unpredictable ratings-wise and also wasn't that strong in key demos - it skewed more to an adult audience).
Bear in mind that it's not the total viewers that will decide this show's success, but it's performance in kid demos, since that's what matters most to Nick. I'll post those numbers when they become available later this week.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Keep in mind the episodes are on itunes, and Nick even streamed them on their own website.

Ratings don't matter as much now that the episodes are available to watch elsewhere, and remember Nick still gets revenue from the itune purchases or the hits from their website.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

Ratings still matter a ton but also remember TMNT is not just a cartoon and the toys are going to make Viacom plenty of money.

The Legend of Korra scored 4.548 million on it's premiere back in Spring but is there any question which action franchise will make Viacom more money?

And going by what I found for ratings of the 2003 series Nick's series looks to be starting off with much higher ratings considering that pulled in a mere 343,000ish boys 9-14 and likely only about 1 million total viewers on network television. I expect it got over a million total viewers at some point maybe 2 million but probably not 3 million on FOX, The CW or Cartoon Network at any point.

Nearly 4 million viewers is a promising start. Television is a very different beast these days so 7 million would have been incredibly difficult to get. I believe the Phineas and Ferb movie got that but it was a rare case.

Without a doubt TMNT claimed the top ratings for similar programs. It obliterated DC Nation, Star Wars and Ben 10 on Cartoon Network much less anything on Disney XD. The Turtles just came back to show those Lego's, Naruto and Randy Cunningham what a real ninja can do.

And yes I'd say they're satisfied with the results. We just got 26 more episodes ordered!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-cable/151241/

Last edited by Ninja Tiptup; 10-02-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Ninja Tiptup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #20
HerpDerp
Hench Mutant

Yeah, as it says in the press release Tiptup posted, the premiere did well where it needed to (with kids).

Quote:
Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo and Donatello – aka the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles – made a triumphant return to television in their new Nickelodeon series premiere this weekend (Saturday, Sept. 29, at 11 a.m., ET/PT), ranking as the week’s top telecast with kids 2-11 (6.2/2.1 million) and boys 6-11 (8.2/837,000) across broadcast and cable TV, and the number-one kids program on basic cable with total viewers (drawing 3.9 million) for the week. Additionally, the new CG-animated version of the series hit a ratings high for Nickelodeon with boys 2-11 (7.5/1.3 million), and was the network’s top-rated premiere for an animated series since 2009. During its premiere weekend the series reached nearly 12 million total viewers.

Tags
7 seasons at least, nick, ratings