The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 05-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
mikey22
Stone Warrior

when will toys r us go to 80% off

hey guys

i went to toys r us they are still only at 30% off?!

U would think after 2 months theyd be nearing 70-80 off

was curious when yuo think the 80% off will happen anyone work retail or have a good guess/
thanks

i wanted to clean them out of some kingdom hearts plushies that hopefully will still be aroudn at the 80% mark
mikey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey22 View Post
hey guys

was curious when yuo think the 80% off will happen anyone work retail or have a good guess/
thanks

i wanted to clean them out of some kingdom hearts plushies that hopefully will still be aroudn at the 80% mark
I visited TRU last Saturday. I was expecting half empty shelves and deep discounts. I found full shelves and 20%-40% off sales. What was interesting was the newer stock like Avengers Infinity War merchandise.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they stay with the current discounts of 20%-40% until after the Holidays. The store in my area seemed in no rush to move products. If it wasn’t for all the signs I wouldn’t have even know about the closure.

Also I wonder if they have more stock in werehouse and that’s why I seen Avengers merch? They could keep doing restocks with warehouse product even through the holidays I imagine. At least in my area.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey22 View Post
hey guys

thanks

You answered your own question its Toys R Us it pains them having do any sort of discount. They prefer to mark stuff up higher
Old 05-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

While I worked for Sears, not Toys R Us, I'm sure it is very likely that the liquidation is probably run similarly.

If that is the case then, speaking from experience, I was very surprised how that went at my store. The liquidator is the one that decides the percentages, not the store/company. And he or she is very focused on getting the most profit out of it, not just getting it out the door. The prices also actually bounced back and forth for a while at my store, at times going back to a lower percentage than they'd been a previous week. Our store did not go to 80% until the last couple of days, but not everything. Some departments never went that high.

That said, maybe they'll hit 80% off sooner than we did, but I wouldn't hold my breath, and it might not be everything. I'd check their last couple of days for sure, but get there at opening if you're after something in particular that's still there.

As for the new Avengers stuff, it may have been stuff that was already sent and waiting OR the company may be shipping them extra stock. That happened to us. Got several truck loads of both new and excess stock from other stores that the company was trying to get sold. Surprised me to see the new spring clothing that showed up.

Anyhow.... I think someone around here had said he worked for TRU? Maybe he can give some better TRU specific input.

In short, probably not up to 80% until close to closing.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 05-08-2018 at 01:47 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Maybe Rise of the TMNT figures before then?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wouldn't hold my breath on them getting inventory in that far into it if liquidation lasted that long, at best maybe leftovers from stores that closed sooner, but that would be nice if they did get some of those figures in!

Anyone know around when they are aiming to close? Thought I'd seen something about doing liquidation in 60 days when it was first announced in March, so this month or are they staying around longer?

Mine did it in 90, which I think is supposedly more typical, but it wasn't the whole company. Surely getting rid of an entire company's inventory would take a while...

Just wondering because I've been wanting to get over there at some point and have a last look around, and maybe offer a word of understanding to people in the same sad, exhausting boat I was recently in. But too bad the TMNT merchandise already died off.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I know our TRU still gets trucks, but it is stuff from the warehouse. I’d be shocked if they are getting new stuff that wasn’t already in transit to them. Their suppliers would be completely stupid to send new merchandise.

They wont go below their break even on their inventory. The discount is basically only going to be whatever their mark up was until drop dead time. But they’re still hoping for a buyer so...
Old 05-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

One of the TRU in my city was remodelled rather recently. About 5-6 months ago or so? Haven't gone inside it since then but it seems to have retained its size. No idea about its stock.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote