The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

View Poll Results: Who's your favourite Sailor Senshi?
Sailor Moon 0 0%
Sailor Mercury 0 0%
Sailor Mars 1 12.50%
Sailor Jupiter 7 87.50%
Sailor Venus 0 0%
Sailor Uranus 0 0%
Sailor Neptune 0 0%
Sailor Saturn 0 0%
Sailor Pluto 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Who's your favourite Sailor Senshi?

My favourite is Sailor Mars aka Rei Hino. She's the girl in my avatar, btw.

What about yours?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Fun fact: The Sailor Moon girls are only 14 (in the beginning of the show), yet they're drawn and look like 17-18 year olds. It's really funny, because if this was a modern anime they'd all be drawn like "loli's" really short and more cutesy.

Since Sailor Moon came out in the 90's it's so noticeable how anime designs have changed. You never see characters drawn like this anymore.

Anyway my favorite is probably Mars or Jupiter but I'm fond of Mercury too. When Venus first appeared I thought she felt the most bland and almost a clone of Usagi, but then as the show went on her personality became more distinct and funny. She was actually pretty funny in the third and fourth series when they made her a flirt and a showoff. She's basically the most sexually provocative of all the Sailor Moon girls.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Fun fact: The Sailor Moon girls are only 14 (in the beginning of the show), yet they're drawn and look like 17-18 year olds. It's really funny, because if this was a modern anime they'd all be drawn like "loli's" really short and more cutesy.

Since Sailor Moon came out in the 90's it's so noticeable how anime designs have changed. You never see characters drawn like this anymore.

Anyway my favorite is probably Mars or Jupiter but I'm fond of Mercury too. When Venus first appeared I thought she felt the most bland and almost a clone of Usagi, but then as the show went on her personality became more distinct and funny. She was actually pretty funny in the third and fourth series when they made her a flirt and a showoff. She's basically the most sexually provocative of all the Sailor Moon girls.
Of course you'd have to go THAT WAY, Cubed Oh God.

Anyway, Venus/Minako in the first couple of seasons of the classic SM anime is nothing like Moon/Usagi personality wise. She seems more mature than the other girls and while she takes her role seriously, it's not like she's uptight or snarky like Rei/Mars is.

But, from season 3 on, she basically became Usagi v2.0. She became the comedy releif character alongside her and also had bad grades, was unintelligent, irresponsible, etc. Which is odd because she's the first ever Sailor Senshi to awaken and she's supposed to be the leader of the Inners. Yet, the classic anime made her a spatz. In the manga she's a bit more leader like, except in the Sailor V manga which was a predecessor to the main SM manga, but she's only 12 or so in that manga, so ofc she's gonna be more immature.

PGSM Minako is totally different, though. She's a famous idol singer who's sick and dying and is by far the most mature and level-headed of the group. And also the one who takes her mission the most seriously and cares the most abotu the past. Even Rei/mars tells her to chill and let lose a bit, which is funny since Rei is usually the most serious of the bunch.

Haven't watched Crystal, so I have no idea what they're like there. I've heard it's basically the manga in anime format with all plot and nearly no down time to develop each of the characters.

Dunno if you ever read the SM manga, but 90s anime Rei is quite different from her other versions. Think of her as being the Raphael of the Sailor Moon series and the 90s anime being the Fred Wolf series of the Sailor Moon property.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

It's just weird. They're all 14 yet they're all drawn tall with huge breasts and legs making them look like 18 year olds. Modern anime would make them look like 12 year olds with flat chests but still sexually cute, because that's the way things are these days.

All the people who crushed on Sailor Moon characters back in the day probably feel weird now knowing they were only 14. But I guess it's no different than Pokemon girls who are even worse since they're all 10 year olds in canon yet are all drawn like teenagers.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Lol what are you even talking about? They don't have huge breasts. In fact, the only one that has big ones is Jupiter and she even mentions that's the reason she should play Snow White in a play. That's the infamous line that in the American dub became "I should play Snow White because I'm the most talented one".

You must be confusing the official anime/manga with fanart or hentai of the characters or something. They look normal in the anime/manga. Keep in mind it's a shoujo written and drawn by a female author targeted primarily at a female audience. That being said, Sailor Moon does have a quite sizeable male audience.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

I just marathoned the whole show recently with the new Viz dub, that's what they have. There's also a lot of sexual jokes in the new dub now that it's more accurate to the original, really weird how 14 year old girls are treated like sex objects. At least they don't look 14 but when they say they go to middle school it makes it obvious. Also you see their bodies when they wear dresses or casual clothes or swimsuits in various episodes.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Well I'm not American, so I never watched any English dubs of the show or hell even watched the Portuguese dub of it. I got into Sailor Moon quite late. Around 2006-2007 or so when the show among other classic anime was ENTIRELY uploaded on youtube. I dunno what made me check it out at the time I guess I watched one episode out of curiosity because I started o get heavily into anime around that time and wanted to watch some classic series. next thing I knew I was watching 5-6 episodes of SM a day on youtube on my 2007 summer break.

When I was a kid, no boy openly admitted to watching Sailor Moon at all. The closest thing to "girl shows" that you could watch as a boy was the Power Puff Girls. I guess around the time I was 16 and SM was long gone from TV and I was no longer a young boy, I didn't feel insecure to watch something like that anymore. Besides, it's not THAT girly of a show. It has a lot of action and violence for a shoujo, actually.

Well, maybe that was the best way for them to grab some male audience as well. It's primarily a series for girls, but clearly a lot of teenage boys like it as well. I notice most male fans of the show seem to have Mars as their favourite Senshi. And she's known and generally considered for being the prettiest of them. Coincidence? I think not.

Btw, is it true Haruka and Michiru are cousins in the American dub? And I thought it was weird that Artemis and Luna's genders were reversed in the Portuguese dub. You see, Artemis is named after a Greek Goddess, despite him being a male. So I guess that's why he became a girl in our dub and Luna a boy. But anyone who watches SM, regardless of the version, can easily tell that Luna is female and Artemis male. Both even like each other and have a daughter named Diana. So I dunno if gender swapping was very convincing...
Old 09-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

There is the new Viz dub that started back in 2014 I think, the whole show was redubbed in english from the beginning with new voices, they kept the Japanese names, and translated the script accurately. So that was the dub I watched, not the old one from the 90's.

The new english dub is great and all the voices fit the characters and the jokes are translated well. Like how sometimes some jokes don't translate well in a different language but they made it funny.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
There is the new Viz dub that started back in 2014 I think, the whole show was redubbed in english from the beginning with new voices, they kept the Japanese names, and translated the script accurately. So that was the dub I watched, not the old one from the 90's.

The new english dub is great and all the voices fit the characters and the jokes are translated well. Like how sometimes some jokes don't translate well in a different language but they made it funny.
Interesting. Wasn't that around the time Crystal came out as well? They actually went back to redub an old show entirely? Sailor Moon had like 200 different episodes plus some animated movies. So that's A LOT to redub. I think SM lost its license for a long time until suddenly Crystal was announced and the manga began getting sold and translated again outside of Japan. In the previous decade, SM was very easy to find online because it wasn't licensed in most countries outside of Japan anymore, but then Crystal was announced and the property became licensed all over the world again and it was no longer as easy to find entire episodes on youtube and such.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #10
Allio
Foot Elite

And there goes Cubed spouting some facts no one cares about.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

I enjoy educating people about shows with random trivia.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
And there goes Cubed spouting some facts no one cares about.
Not to mention he's also exaggerating. I think he's seeing more of that "stuff" than there actually is.

Cubed loves to complain about anime and how perverted it is... but then goes on and watched an 90s series entirely. All TWO HUNDRED EPISODES of them.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #13
Allio
Foot Elite

Could you actually imagine giving the Pokémon anime in its entirety the time of day?

Just read the different mangas. Even Gentlemen thief Pokemon is better.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

Allio, go back to rangerboard.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #15
Leo656
The Franchise

NERD FIGHT!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #16
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Allio, go back to rangerboard.
Sounds like an odd correlation to me, especially when Rangerboard has an active Pokemon thread that often talks about the anime.

Last edited by Allio; 09-13-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #17
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

For me it's Jupiter. I always have a soft spot for her because the very first episode I watched was the one where she showed everyone what a brilliant ice skater she was. Plus, her English voice actress Susan Roman stayed with the series till it ended.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:40 PM   #18
sdp
Megan Fox = April

My favorite is definitely Sailor V, before she becomes Venus. Besides that I like Saturn a lot. I also watched all of Sailor Moon but it was a few years ago like 7 so I guess that's now considered a long time

S > R > OG > Stars > Super S

S is just an amazing show all around; R has an amazing anime only filler arc in the beginning but the actual adaptation is just good; OG is great overall but not amazing; Stars is weird and not great but at least better than Super S; Super S is just horrible.

Fun fact the Mexican dub while using the dub name Serena is a faithful adaptation and dubbed all shows in the mid 90s. Yeah I never saw them as 14 year olds, it's like Saint Seiya, you have all these guys who look in their late 20s and they're all supposed to be 14.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:33 AM   #19
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Sailor Jupiter / Sailor Mercury / Sailor Mars.

Sailor Pluto.. she was the destructive one of the group, wasn't she? I remember the other Scouts being afraid of her power in the later episodes.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #20
Sumac
Banned

Sailor Mercury.
In fact, she is the reason why I am partial to anime girls with blue hair.

In Russia, show was broadcasted in 1996 (seasons 1-3) and later in 2000s (seasons 4-5). Seasons 1-3 and 4-5 had different teams translating them and translation of the seasons 4-5 was awful, since they were translated in Russian from German, which itself was made from Japanese version of the show.

Favorite season is season 3. Least favorite are 4 and 5. 4 was boring and 5 had too many characters, so show didn't know which characters should be the focus of the show. Inners sometimes felt like they are mere cameos in their own show.

Interestingly enough, despite having Lesbian and Gay couples, as well as crossdresser later on, no-one was crying about "muh traditional values" and show was left uncensored (so no "kissing cousins" or Zoycite (sic?) or Fisheye changing sex). It was a different time in Russia.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote