The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 19,855
Root canals

Has anyone else had one? I had a "half root canal" done on a back molar and right now they have it packed with a "temporary filling" until next week when they do the proper filling/sealing. Right now on day 2 my breath still smells like rancid antiseptic and all I can taste is burning rubber... any idea how much longer that lasts?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 12,194
I've had one, but it was quite a few years ago. Not sure what is meant by "half" though. My guess is it's probably just the temporary materials that you're tasting and likely normal (edit: and doubtful if they're intended to be pleasant), but there might be no harm in calling them up and checking with them before the weekend. Esp if an infection had been involved.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:25 AM   #3
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,315
Hey Andrew,

I know it's been a month, but how is the root canal work now? Hope no additional work was needed.
__________________
Society consistently complains about the absence of love in society, but in a self-absorbed narcissism driven society, love will not germinate. It's because the purest expression of love is self-sacrificial behavior for the benefit of others, and who would want to make those sacrifices to their own detriment?
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 19,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Hey Andrew,

I know it's been a month, but how is the root canal work now? Hope no additional work was needed.
It's been terrible. It took them an extra trip... the first they only did half the root canal, the second time they completed the root canal but it took them way longer than it should have because they said I had a "ribbon root." The third time they gave it the "final filling," but they were supposed to have done this in visit #2.

Next is the crown, which will be another 2 visits. One to drill it down to a nub, the next to put it on. Meanwhile, the "final filling" is so close to the gumline it's like... seeping a metallic taste into my mouth. So I'm constantly salivating, which makes me constantly swallow... which is enflaming my throat and making me constantly gaggy. I'm told this will be better when the crown is in place and all of that.

So no, not good!
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's been terrible. It took them an extra trip... the first they only did half the root canal, the second time they completed the root canal but it took them way longer than it should have because they said I had a "ribbon root." The third time they gave it the "final filling," but they were supposed to have done this in visit #2.

Next is the crown, which will be another 2 visits. One to drill it down to a nub, the next to put it on. Meanwhile, the "final filling" is so close to the gumline it's like... seeping a metallic taste into my mouth. So I'm constantly salivating, which makes me constantly swallow... which is enflaming my throat and making me constantly gaggy. I'm told this will be better when the crown is in place and all of that.

So no, not good!
Damn, not sure what a Ribbon root is but all sounds very messy.
I have only had two fillings, one of which ended up becoming root canal but it was done in 2 visits with no issues. This was about 10 years back, I am told that now they take away less tooth so crowns are supposed to be smaller.

Hope it settles down soon

Last edited by newfan; 10-30-2019 at 11:04 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 19,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I have only had two fillings, one of which ended up becoming root canal but it was done in 2 visits with no issues. This was about 10 years back, I am told that now they take away less tooth so crowns are supposed to be smaller.
Really? I had a crown maybe 8 years ago and they grinded my tooth down to like just a peg. I was shocked how much perfectly good tooth they took.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's been terrible. It took them an extra trip... the first they only did half the root canal, the second time they completed the root canal but it took them way longer than it should have because they said I had a "ribbon root." The third time they gave it the "final filling," but they were supposed to have done this in visit #2.

Next is the crown, which will be another 2 visits. One to drill it down to a nub, the next to put it on. Meanwhile, the "final filling" is so close to the gumline it's like... seeping a metallic taste into my mouth. So I'm constantly salivating, which makes me constantly swallow... which is enflaming my throat and making me constantly gaggy. I'm told this will be better when the crown is in place and all of that.

So no, not good!
Sorry to hear about those developments. Did the dentist initially prepare you saying this much dental work was needed, or did he/she mention this after already doing the procedure? With today's precise medical imaging (i.e. X-rays) usually they can give a good estimation of just how complicated the whole procedure can be.

Of course there's some unpredictability since the procedure is taking place in the mouth (a haven environment for germs) and not fully knowing until they go into the tooth, but still from what you initially posted versus what you updated with, seems like the dentist encountered a big, unexpected complication.

Hope things get better on from here on out.
__________________
Society consistently complains about the absence of love in society, but in a self-absorbed narcissism driven society, love will not germinate. It's because the purest expression of love is self-sacrificial behavior for the benefit of others, and who would want to make those sacrifices to their own detriment?
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 19,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Hope things get better on from here on out.
They did not! I just came back from a different dentist, and after contending with a very sour taste in my mouth coming from that tooth, it turns out the root canal was "shallow" on one side and is now "leaking" bacteria into my mouth. So now they need to drill into the crown, complete the root canal, and seal it all up again.

Fun fact: the dentist I was going to for the root canal/crown went out of business like two weeks after they "finished" the crown.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
Vegita-San
Emperor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They did not! I just came back from a different dentist, and after contending with a very sour taste in my mouth coming from that tooth, it turns out the root canal was "shallow" on one side and is now "leaking" bacteria into my mouth. So now they need to drill into the crown, complete the root canal, and seal it all up again.
yep, no fun.

had one and that was enough for me.

however, I have had about 6 crown replacements due to bad enamel (thanks psoriasis!) and those are a pain in the ass.

Not so much because of pain itself, but due to the length they take to get right. The Drilling itself usually doesn't take more than 15 minutes. but the shaping of the new tooth top is what takes a while. they tend to be artists .
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 12,194
Sorry to hear that, Andrew, that sucks that they messed it up that badly. Hope you have insurance or something that is at least covering part of that... I mean, ouch, once is enough let alone have to pay for someone else to correct the mistakes. >.<
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They did not! I just came back from a different dentist, and after contending with a very sour taste in my mouth coming from that tooth, it turns out the root canal was "shallow" on one side and is now "leaking" bacteria into my mouth. So now they need to drill into the crown, complete the root canal, and seal it all up again.

Fun fact: the dentist I was going to for the root canal/crown went out of business like two weeks after they "finished" the crown.
Damn, that's some awful $hit!
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
joe-eyeball
Hench Mutant
 
joe-eyeball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 397
Wow! That sucks big time. I never really thought about how awful some dental problems could be. Im grateful I’ve never even had a cavity yet.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:34 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 20,824
Jesus, that's terrible.

My wife's teeth are pretty much ruined after some quack did a number on 'em a while back. No insurance so she can't get 'em fixed, no money for a lawyer or we would'a sued the bastard. This was 10 years ago already though, I think that guy went outta business too.

I haven't been to the dentist since the first Gulf War, so... just about 30 years, roughly. No that's not a joke, and stuff like this is why. My teeth are pretty bad, but they don't hurt, so until they start hurting or just plain falling out, I don't need to be some hack's next jetski payment. I don't trust these people.
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:23 AM   #14
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School
 
Voltron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Realm of SJW
Posts: 4,699
My root canal procedure lasted for weeks. That was unpleasant.

On the plus side, it's super cheap here. It cost a few hundred after all was said and done, meds included.

Bonus: after I did get insurance, the dentist refunded me the cost and charged it through insurance.

I asked around before going, because I had a less than thrilling experience before, too.
__________________
I AM FOR ACTUAL! . . . and the White Savior. . . and the Right Hand of God. . .
Voltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 19,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
however, I have had about 6 crown replacements due to bad enamel
Like, on the same teeth? Yeesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Sorry to hear that, Andrew, that sucks that they messed it up that badly. Hope you have insurance or something that is at least covering part of that...
Yeah, they made sure and strategically bill them so as to get every dollar of coverage I had in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Damn, that's some awful $hit!
It's not good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
This was 10 years ago already though, I think that guy went outta business too.
Seems to be the move. Open a questionable practice, burn a whole bunch of people, bill the insurance companies, get out.

Quote:
I haven't been to the dentist since the first Gulf War, so... just about 30 years, roughly.
Shesus. You better go in, man, even for just a cleaning. Could have root stuff going on... by the time you feel "pain" it could already be causing heart damage and other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
My root canal procedure lasted for weeks. That was unpleasant.
Sounds about right.

Quote:
On the plus side, it's super cheap here. It cost a few hundred after all was said and done, meds included.
For me, the whole procedure was about $2100-$2300 -- the root canal and crown, with an extra billable "day" in there somewhere. Insurance paid all but about $500, but literally they made sure and bill my insurance down to the last dollar of yearly coverage.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #16
newfan
Mad Scientist
 
newfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

For me, the whole procedure was about $2100-$2300 -- the root canal and crown, with an extra billable "day" in there somewhere. Insurance paid all but about $500, but literally they made sure and bill my insurance down to the last dollar of yearly coverage.
Damn! Not sure how much they have gone up here but mine was about £340 or something, but that was £10 years ago. That was a private price not NHS price as I wanted tooth colour not metal, the NHS only cover that for front teeth. You still pay with the NHS unless you are on low income but it's still less.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:18 PM   #17
Leo656
The Franchise
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 20,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Shesus. You better go in, man, even for just a cleaning. Could have root stuff going on... by the time you feel "pain" it could already be causing heart damage and other things.
"We're ALL gonna die, kid. WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!"
- Sensei Johnny Lawrence
__________________

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #18
Vegita-San
Emperor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Like, on the same teeth? Yeesh!

Nope, different ones. and luckily all done right the first time and no problem since.

Best news, far less cavities after it's done.

even with constant brushing.
__________________
'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.