TMNT #89 Preview and Discussion

Release: 12/19/2018.
First Look:
Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Here's hoping that Splinter gets some holiday cheer and can stop being a ninja warlord with an outdated, feudal mindset
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Igglet

Man, I really like these Christmas issues. I feel bad for Splinter already, though. One of the writers shared some of the panels from this issue weeks ago and it had a lot of flashbacks, I assume that's what'll make up most of this issue.

We got some more stuff implying that Casey - Jennika might become a thing, that's interesting. I'm slowly starting to like Jennika more and more, she really started developing a personality when she became Chunin.

I wonder if Splinter's gonna behead anyone in the Christmas issue. That'd be such a Splinter thing to do. Dude spends the entire issue reminiscing past events, missing his family. Suddenly, he snaps out of it and goes "Oh! I almost forgot, I had an execution scheduled in about an hour."
Old 12-07-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Gosh darn it, we didn't need another Christmas issue so soon! It's throwing off the internal continuity!!! <nerd rage>
Old 12-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Gosh darn it, we didn't need another Christmas issue so soon! It's throwing off the internal continuity!!! <nerd rage>
It's a Christmas issue, God damn it, how could you be mad with a Christmas issue? Screw the continuity, I just want to see Splinter dressed as Santa (preferably while beheading someone).
Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

This may be Splinter's last time of peace if Karai tries to wrestle control of the Foot out of his hands.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
It's a Christmas issue, God damn it, how could you be mad with a Christmas issue? Screw the continuity, I just want to see Splinter dressed as Santa (preferably while beheading someone).
Did you just say "screw the continuity!?"

You filthy casual. Geddouttahere.

Seriously, though, Issues #1-65 all happen in one year (also including Turtles in Time, Secret History of the Foot Clan, Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything, and Universe #1-8 or so)... and then #66-89 are a whole damn year (also including Universe #9-15)?

That's an incredibly slow year compared to their previous. While I like the idea of the Turtles' new status quo post-#50 (Leo, Don, Raph with the Foot, Mike on his own) having been in place for a month or two, I still don't see those 25 or so issues stretching out a whole year.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It does kind of give the some perspective for how long the year had gone and what has transpired, but...did that really happen all in one year It felt like our poor boys were dealing with all of this madness in a period of a single month .

But y'know...it just comes to show.

One Christmas your friend is showing up with a basket of candy. By the next, he's already died in a nuclear act of self-sacrifice, also with candy.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:59 AM   #9
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Did you just say "screw the continuity!?"

You filthy casual. Geddouttahere.

Seriously, though, Issues #1-65 all happen in one year (also including Turtles in Time, Secret History of the Foot Clan, Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything, and Universe #1-8 or so)... and then #66-89 are a whole damn year (also including Universe #9-15)?

That's an incredibly slow year compared to their previous. While I like the idea of the Turtles' new status quo post-#50 (Leo, Don, Raph with the Foot, Mike on his own) having been in place for a month or two, I still don't see those 25 or so issues stretching out a whole year.
B-but... Christmas...

No, but really, I honestly doubt #1 - #65 all happened within a year. Just because there's no Christmas issue doesn't mean there's no Christmas if you get me.

Plus, I'm pretty sure #5 was a Christmas issue too, actually. And I'm convinced there's a few more that we're all forgetting.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Looking at it from another perspective, I'm starting to think it's less of a "Splinter learns the true meaning of Christmas" situation (because of course not) and more of an...

Not sure why the Pantheon would be so interested in getting Splinter to pull his boys together for Christmas, though.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Looking at it from another perspective, I'm starting to think it's less of a "Splinter learns the true meaning of Christmas" situation (because of course not) and more of an...
https://66.media.tumblr.com/088bbc79...qdm3xg_500.gif

Not sure why the Pantheon would be so interested in getting Splinter to pull his boys together for Christmas, though.
I've a feeling that Toad Baron is going to be teaching him the true meaning of Christmas so he understands that he needs to go back to his sons. He has a realization and says he knows what must be done and decides that the only way to pull his kids out of their crippling depression is to lynch Bishop. And then he beheads someone.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #12
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Pretty much what I'm going for. Just don't know why Toad Baron would want to help . Shouldn't he be at his own Christmas party that's...probably complete insanity. Truly the halls will be decked with holly. Too much holly.

Or for that matter, Gothano (come on, he's GOTTA be Christmas Future, just look at him!) and...probably the Rat King? Not sure who else could possibly cover past. And why would the Rat King want to help after the way the turtles defeated him?

...Aka would make sense though. She's on nice enough terms with them and can do the flying scene.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Pretty much what I'm going for. Just don't know why Toad Baron would want to help . Shouldn't he be at his own Christmas party that's...probably complete insanity. Truly the halls will be decked with holly. Too much holly.

Or for that matter, Gothano (come on, he's GOTTA be Christmas Future, just look at him!) and...probably the Rat King? Not sure who else could possibly cover past. And why would the Rat King want to help after the way the turtles defeated him?

...Aka would make sense though. She's on nice enough terms with them and can do the flying scene.
I wonder if Splinter's being manipulated by the Pantheon. It sure would add up with my theories.

Though I'm guessing the rest of the Pantheon won't show up. Toad Baron's just... special, I guess? I mean, we do know that they like getting involved with mortal affairs and perhaps having one of the most powerful people in New York alive on his side and perhaps as a pawn?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #14
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Two new pages:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #15
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

I didn't think Alopex could remove her mask after it stopped being face paint and started being blue spirit goo. And/Or mythical fox blood.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

Something I've just noticed: why wasn't April in the final scene? Harold and his wife I can understand, and the Mutanimals even more so, but she seems like a glaring omission. And has she met Jennika yet? There's bound to be at least some animosity there.

(Splinter inviting Stockman over to the Foot HQ for a Christmas party would've been hilarious, though!)
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #17
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Something I've just noticed: why wasn't April in the final scene? Harold and his wife I can understand, and the Mutanimals even more so, but she seems like a glaring omission. And has she met Jennika yet? There's bound to be at least some animosity there.

(Splinter inviting Stockman over to the Foot HQ for a Christmas party would've been hilarious, though!)
Oh, we've got April covered, my friend. She's with her mom and dad, as she should be!

Talk soon...

Tom W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 11.59.35 AM.jpg (21.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 12.02.06 PM.jpg (21.9 KB, 16 views)
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ghost Saki and Splinter lying dead at the hands of his sons are the two standout scenes of this issue.

Also the implications that Splinter eventually attacked/killed the Mutanimals and Casey/Jenny, etc.

Let's hope our Splinter never turns into that. Also I do like the fact that the Pantheon are not actually shown to be evil, it's really only Rat King and Kitsune who are the troublemakers, if the Turtles manage to stop those two bad seeds the rest of the Pantheon probably would never bother them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #19
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWaltz View Post
Oh, we've got April covered, my friend. She's with her mom and dad, as she should be!

Talk soon...

Tom W.
My bad! I was so eager to see what was in store for Splinter that I sort of skimmed over that page, as I did with the others that had already been shown in the previews. I'd still like to see April meeting Jenny, though!

This thread is probably the most appropriate place to do this, all things considered, so... Merry Christmas to you, to Bobby, and to the rest of the IDW crew and all of your loved ones! Thanks for making our TMNT dreams come true year-round!

Last edited by ChosenOne; 12-19-2018 at 01:19 PM.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #20
martinitolove
Foot Soldier

Thank you Tom, Bobby, all the wonderfull artists and Peter & Kevin for making the best TMNT series ever!!! To a merry Christmas and a new year of amazing stories in our favourite Cowabunga universe!!!
martinitolove is offline   Reply With Quote