The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #41
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Spidey and MJ swing across the city

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #42
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This is the MCU. He'll wear it at the beginning of one scene and it'll be in the trailers, but then take it off and never see it again.
Nobody is a bigger perpetrator of always having the main hero take their mask off than Sony with all their Spider-Man movies
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #43
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Spidey and MJ swing across the city

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads...-in-nyc204.jpg
Did anyone else just realize MJ is not Mary Jane Watson, but Michelle Jones
I feel like an idiot for not noticing earlier, but it makes me wonder why the chose this route.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:56 PM   #44
Leo656
The Franchise

Plausible deniability.

Having Mary Jane be non-white would cause no small bit of anger amongst the fans. But having two white people kiss each other is apparently against Movie Law, now, because "Too Many Honkies Is Offensive," or something, so Mary-Jane simply can't be white, even though she is. So, you create a new, non-white character that coincidentally has the initials "MJ", so you can have your cake and eat it too. "See? Spidey still loves 'MJ'! It's totally the exact same thing!"

I mean, sure... her family is different... her backstory is different... her name is different... literally every single thing about her is different... but sure, it's exactly the same!

Not sure if you actually wanted an answer to your question, but that is, indeed, the answer to your question.

Also: The whole thing is stupid.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:19 AM   #45
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I feel like an idiot for not noticing earlier, but it makes me wonder why the chose this route.
She’s not even a red head/ginger so no.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:29 AM   #46
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I have a theory she'll end up changing her name to Mary Jane at some point in the series, either as witness protection or if she takes up acting and wants a stage name
Old 10-13-2018, 04:29 AM   #47
Leo656
The Franchise

Part of me also thinks it's a Disney-mandated thing, wherein they don't want to feature a character who's name is slang for marijuana in a film that's aimed at children. That's exactly the kind of over-thinking nonsense I'd expect from them. I'm quite positive it was at least part of the conversation.

The same kind of "But kids will make jokes!" junk that turned Dick Grayson into Rick Grayson, or whatever the hell it is now.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #48
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

http://collider.com/spider-man-far-f..._medium=social

While the rest of us will have to wait a little while longer to see the Spider-Man: Far From Home trailer, Collider’s own Steve Weintraub was in the audience at Comic-Con Experience Brazil to get a glimpse at the first footage. Here’s his rundown of what he saw:
Old 12-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #49
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Plausible deniability.

Having Mary Jane be non-white would cause no small bit of anger amongst the fans. But having two white people kiss each other is apparently against Movie Law, now, because "Too Many Honkies Is Offensive," or something, so Mary-Jane simply can't be white, even though she is. So, you create a new, non-white character that coincidentally has the initials "MJ", so you can have your cake and eat it too. "See? Spidey still loves 'MJ'! It's totally the exact same thing!"

I mean, sure... her family is different... her backstory is different... her name is different... literally every single thing about her is different... but sure, it's exactly the same!

Not sure if you actually wanted an answer to your question, but that is, indeed, the answer to your question.

Also: The whole thing is stupid.
Yeah sounds about right. Extremist trying push their agenda for the sake of equality, while simoltaneously discriminating against others

Quote:
I have a theory she'll end up changing her name to Mary Jane at some point in the series, either as witness protection or if she takes up acting and wants a stage name
You must be doing some deep thinking coming up with the idea of witness protection. The idea of Mary Jane being a stage name is really good though or maybe a pen name if she becomes a investigator or photographer like she has in other incarnations??? (I think this only happened in the Ultimate Cartoon. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Part of me also thinks it's a Disney-mandated thing, wherein they don't want to feature a character who's name is slang for marijuana in a film that's aimed at children. That's exactly the kind of over-thinking nonsense I'd expect from them. I'm quite positive it was at least part of the conversation.

The same kind of "But kids will make jokes!" junk that turned Dick Grayson into Rick Grayson, or whatever the hell it is now.
That is so freaking stupid....... Does anyone still even call it Mary Jane????? Really Disney????? Because this would not shock me.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:27 AM   #50
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
You must be doing some deep thinking coming up with the idea of witness protection. The idea of Mary Jane being a stage name is really good though or maybe a pen name if she becomes a investigator or photographer like she has in other incarnations??? (I think this only happened in the Ultimate Cartoon. )
She's an investigator in the recent PS4 video game too, and she was delving into that occupation a little in the Ultimate comics which the cartoon based elements off of.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #51
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
That is so freaking stupid....... Does anyone still even call it Mary Jane????? Really Disney????? Because this would not shock me.
Of course they do.

Sometimes I forget that most people here don't seem to partake of The Devil's Lettuce.

But yeah people still call it that.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #52
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Spider-Man and Mysterio Are Working Together in ‘Far From Home’; Villains Revealed

Spider-Man and Mysterio Are Working Together in ‘Far From Home’; Villains Revealed

Quote:
Not much is known about the Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel Spider-Man: Far From Home, and that’s exactly how Marvel Studios wants it. However, given that Far From Home is a Sony Pictures release, Marvel doesn’t exactly get to decide how the film is marketed or even when it’s released—no doubt Marvel would rather have let the whole “Spider-Man is dead after Infinity War” thing linger a little while longer before set photos of Tom Holland alive and well shooting Far From Home hit the interwebs.

But Hollywood is a business at heart, and Sony wants to ensure that Far From Home is as big a hit as Homecoming was. To that end, Far From Home cast members Holland, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Jacob Batalon appeared together at Brazil’s Comic-Con CCXP earlier this month, where they offered up some tantalizing Spider-Man: Far From Home plot details.

We know that Gyllenhaal plays classic Spidey villain Mysterio in the movie, but in offering a pretty substantial plot description for the movie, Batalon not only revealed that Spider-Man and Mysterio are working together in the film, but the villains are Elementals.

“It’s basically just about the kids going on a European vacation. We go to London, we go to Prague, we go everywhere. It’s just a really fun thing. There’s a lot of dynamics that go on. A lot of relationship stuff. A lot of cool funny stuff. A lot of fun stunt stuff. The main focus is for him not to be Spider-Man per se, but he gets dragged into it. But you know he reluctantly saves the world again with Mysterio. Mysterio’s a good guy in this, they’re both teaming up to kill the game, to defeat these Elemental monsters.”

In Marvel Comics lore, the Elementals are four extradimensional humanoids who wreak havoc on Earth. We don’t know how they’ll materialize in the film, but in the comics they are Hellfire (he controls flames), Hydron (controls water), Magnum (controls earth), and Zephyr (a female Elemental who can control the air).

Gyllenhaal revealed that Mysterio is recruited by Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury because he knows more about the Elementals than anyone else:

“Well there are these threats to the world, the Elemental creatures, and Mysterio is someone who knows about them and who wants to make sure that the world is safe from them, and Nick Fury asks him to come on and help because he’s the only one who really understands them in a way. And he teams up with the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man and unfortunately he has to make him become more than just a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.”

Curious.Very curious. Obviously since Mysterio is a classic Spider-Man villain there’s the possibility that there’s more going on here and Mysterio eventually turns on Holland’s Peter Parker, but for now it appears the official plot has them teaming up.

We’ll no doubt learn more about Spider-Man: Far From Home when Sony finally releases that trailer online, but for now you can check out the full CCXP interview with Holland, Gyllenhaal, and Batalon below.

For more on Spider-Man: Far From Home, peruse links to our recent coverage below:
  • ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Trailer Recap: Europe, Nick Fury, and Mysterio’s Costume
  • Watch ‘Far From Home’s Tom Holland and Jake Gyllenhaal Surprise the Brazil Comic-Con Crowd
  • First Images of the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Stealth Suit
Old 12-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #53
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

wow that a big plot/spoiler
Old 12-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #54
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Mysterio is absolutely behind the Elementals.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #55
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
He's gotta be. Since his whole thing is creating illusions. And he's a character who likes messing around with Spider-Man all the time. In the comics he was just a guy who was a master of visual FX. I bet he reverse engineered some of that alien technology and is using it.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #56
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Yeah, that seems like a pretty safe assumption. There's definitely more going on than meets the eye.

Quote:
wow that a big plot/spoiler
In my opinion, no information officially released by the studio producing a movie counts as a spoiler, but to each their own.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #57
Vicky82
Emperor

The trailer has been released

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #58
newfan
Mad Scientist

Oh cool, Nick Fury.
That explains the change of suit.
Looks decent.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #59
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

As cool as that is, I love how everything and everyone is ignoring the elephant made of deatomized dust in the room.

This motherfvcker is supposed to be DEAD, remember?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #60
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

like Spider-Man or Fury would stay dead
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubedmilfhunter, far from sjws, make it stop, marvel's crapshoot ideas, spider-cuck, spider-man