The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 04-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Gremlins 3

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79715

Chris Columbus has finished his script. No mention of Joe Dante at all, though.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
newfan
Mad Scientist

I've been waiting for this, talks were a while back. I remember they wanted a sequel rather than a re-make, glad they went with that.

Last edited by newfan; 04-06-2018 at 02:50 PM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

I don't know what to even expect, if this does happen, but I hope they go all out.

I love how bats*** insane Gremlins 2 was and I'm not apologizing for it.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Gremlins 2 was much better than the first one. Gremlins was a fairly obvious kids movie, Gremlins 2 was like a self-parody making fun of how stupid a lot of things in the first movie was.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist

The second movie had more of a comedy element to it, curious to see what they do with 3 and if any of the former actors have a part in it.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

It says the 3rd one will be more dark and twisted then the 1st one. The first one had its humor and the scary stuff. hopefully the 3rd one does the same. But make it more scarier.

Gremlins was the reason the MPAA created the PG-13 rating. Because it was too intense.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Hmm... while the AICN article is new, the actual article they cite is actually from August of last year. Not entirely comforting.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #8
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Gremlins 2 was much better than the first one. Gremlins was a fairly obvious kids movie, Gremlins 2 was like a self-parody making fun of how stupid a lot of things in the first movie was.
Hearing about the Dad of one of the main protagonist characters die from a broken neck within a chimney just for trying to play Santa, seeing the lead Gremlin die like he did from being exposed to sunlight, and hearing those Mogwai's literally cry out and thrash in pain from self-reproduction with water, doesn't entirely a children's movie make.

The first movie knew how to balance the somber stuff with the icky and gruesome stuff (the Mogwai / Gremlin metamorphosis scene(s), Spike's death, ect.), while injecting the humor where / when it needed to be there.

The second Gremlins movie might have borrowed elements from the first movie, but, it also seemed like it's own movie at the same time.

** I might have to give G2 a re-watch..

*** Also a G3, huh? Hmmm...
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
Hearing about the Dad of one of the main protagonist characters die from a broken neck within a chimney just for trying to play Santa, seeing the lead Gremlin die like he did from being exposed to sunlight, and hearing those Mogwai's literally cry out and thrash in pain from self-reproduction with water, doesn't entirely a children's movie make.

The first movie knew how to balance the somber stuff with the icky and gruesome stuff (the Mogwai / Gremlin metamorphosis scene(s), Spike's death, ect.), while injecting the humor where / when it needed to be there.

The second Gremlins movie might have borrowed elements from the first movie, but, it also seemed like it's own movie at the same time.

There's a reason why that film was PG-13 in the first place.

I liked Gremlins 2 since it didn't take itself seriously. That one was more comedic. I remember watching it at the theater.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post

Just a minor quibble, but it was Stripe, not Spike. Spike was the one from G2, that turned into the spider.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:44 PM   #11
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Whoops - my bad. Thanks Duckie.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #12
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Gremlins wasn't PG-13, it was PG, it was one of the reasons they made the PG-13 rating along with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom being the other one.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #13
newfan
Mad Scientist

Just read the uncut version was a 15 over here, we didn't have cert 12 in 1984 and it was considered not suitable for PG, apparently there was a theatrical re-release in 2012 and it's been re-graded to 12.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #14
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Just a minor quibble, but it was Stripe, not Spike. Spike was the one from G2, that turned into the spider.
The G2 gremlin was called Mohawk. A lot of people think it's Spike for some reason - I guess he was pretty spiky.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

https://www.cbr.com/chris-columbus-c...tion&view=list

Now it's a "reboot."

Though that word is thrown around so much these days incorrectly that it may not mean much other than, "We're making a new Gremlins movie."
Old 04-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #16
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
https://www.cbr.com/chris-columbus-c...tion&view=list

Now it's a "reboot."

Though that word is thrown around so much these days incorrectly that it may not mean much other than, "We're making a new Gremlins movie."
They did seem to be using reboot as remake, or so it seemed to me. (they used that remake also) I thought they wanted to leave the original alone and do a sequel, what a shame. I suppose they feel they can't help themselves with the time gap, introduce it fresh to new audience.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I suppose they feel they can't help themselves with the time gap, introduce it fresh to new audience.
Sure they can.

I expect it'll be a Jurassic World "reboot." You know, kind of a requel. The old movies still happened but now it's this new story... that's kind of like the first story.

In terms of how this would apply to Gremlins, I imagine the way that would work is Gizmo just shows up to a new family, or is gifted to some family by Billy (quick cameo), and -- surprise -- the same stuff happens again. Probably at Christmas again. They'll call it "The Gremlins" or something.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #18
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Sure they can.

I expect it'll be a Jurassic World "reboot." You know, kind of a requel. The old movies still happened but now it's this new story... that's kind of like the first story.

In terms of how this would apply to Gremlins, I imagine the way that would work is Gizmo just shows up to a new family, or is gifted to some family by Billy (quick cameo), and -- surprise -- the same stuff happens again. Probably at Christmas again. They'll call it "The Gremlins" or something.
Yeah, I wondered if the previous actors would come back. I'd still watch out of interest but less interested now.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #19
raph27
Mad Scientist

I mean, that sounds pretty much like what a Gremlins 3 would be. You really thought they'd still have Billy as the protagonist, 30 years later?

I'm expecting some new interesting location though. I heard there were plans for a Gremlins movie set in Vegas, that would be fun to see.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #20
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raph27 View Post
I mean, that sounds pretty much like what a Gremlins 3 would be. You really thought they'd still have Billy as the protagonist, 30 years later?

I'm expecting some new interesting location though. I heard there were plans for a Gremlins movie set in Vegas, that would be fun to see.
Not really having Billy with the lead role, but be in the movie.