The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What stereotypes fit you?

Stereotypes... everyone does them to some degree. Tbh many of them have some truth behind them, even if a lot of people don't understand the context or reason behind them. So I'm sure everyone is stereotypical to some degree.

So, what stereotypes do you fit?

- I like football like most Europeans do.

- I also love coffee like most Europeans seem to do as well.

- I speak more than one language like many other Europeans do.

What about stereotypes you DON'T fit?

- I'm Portuguese and I'm not short. I am actually 1,83m(6'0) tall.

- I'm also Portuguese and can't tan that well.

- I'm an Atheist and not a Catholic.

- I'm European but am not effeminate, pompous nor do I consider myself superior to people from other continents.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I guess the stereotype of "Napoleon/Short Man" syndrome fits me. I HATE having my size pointed out, or being seen as "deficient" or "incapable" of doing something because of it, and I prefer to do things myself rather than ask for help, even if it's more difficult for me. I'm 5'0", so most other people are much taller than me. I often have to climb or use a broom handle or other object to pull things down off high shelves, where others might easily reach.

As far as other stereotypes, I guess the "nerdy/geeky girl" is the one that fits me most.

I'm also Irish-descended and a Sagitarrius, so Irish temper is another one that fits me.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
newfan
Mad Scientist

Just thinking of British stereotypes, they aren't very good

Tea drinker: Yes...but I like coffee more.

I think we have a steroetype for feeling superiority too. No, I do not feel that way either.

Stick up my ass? Err not really, I can be a bit stiff sometimes but I can also chill out too.

Last edited by newfan; 05-13-2018 at 11:51 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
- I speak more than one language like many other Europeans do.
What languages do you speak? Portuguese, English, any others?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post

I think we have a steroetype for superiority too. No, I do not feel that way either.

Stick up my ass? Err not really, I can be a bit stiff sometimes but I can also chill out too.
I was talking more about Europeans in general. I notice in the Americas Europeans are kind of stereotyped as being unfriendly and pretentious. I'm rather quiet irl so I guess people can misinterpret that as unfriendliness or snobbism. But that's not how I am at all.

As for Brits... small countries tend to think people of larger and more "important" countries are arrogant and have a superiority complex.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
What languages do you speak? Portuguese, English, any others?
Portuguese and English, obviously. I speak some German as well, but not as well as I speak English.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
Sumac
Banned

I am Russian, but I don't think I fit any stereotypes, aside from being quick to anger and then easily calming down. Also I am very friendly (to people I like), but I am not sure if that's a Russian stereotype.

I don't drink alcohol;
I don't like crazy risky stuff;
I don't drive like blind sheep with a buzzer up its ass (in fact I don't even have a car);
I don't like big loud companies and parties, I prefer to sit to read / watch stuff on my own;
I am not crazily patriotic;
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I am Russian, but I don't think I fit any stereotypes, aside from being quick to anger and then easily calming down. Also I am very friendly (to people I like), but I am not sure if that's a Russian stereotype.
In the West? Nah. In the West, Russians are usually portrayed as being cold and distant people. Not as friendly people. It's probably an inheritance of the Soviet Union days where Russians were the "enemy of the West". Most of Western European countries have an aging problem, meaning most Europeans were already alive at the time the Cold War was still a thing. It's hard to change people's perceptions just like that, I guess.

As for alcohol, that's a general stereotype people have for Slavs. That they're all alcoholics and wear adidas apparel while squatting with a beer in their hands
Old 05-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
In the West? Nah. In the West, Russians are usually portrayed as being cold and distant people. Not as friendly people. It's probably an inheritance of the Soviet Union days where Russians were the "enemy of the West". Most of Western European countries have an aging problem, meaning most Europeans were already alive at the time the Cold War was still a thing. It's hard to change people's perceptions just like that, I guess.

As for alcohol, that's a general stereotype people have for Slavs. That they're all alcoholics and wear adidas apparel while squatting with a beer in their hands
I was only wearing Adidas boots when I was a kid.
Russians are very friendly to people they like, even for strangers, but they are also can be very judgmental (that fits me) and quick to anger, especially when drunk.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

I'm an Italian on the East Coast...

Stereotypes that are true about me

* I can never get enough bread, pasta and pizza

* I can definitely get feisty and can be quick to anger if I know I'm right and have no problem calling you out if you're wrong

*Come from kind of a mob/criminal family... though my family isn't large, we ALL have a criminal history involving all but not limited to drug sales, bank robbery, and other forms of trafficking. I won't get into more details there.

*My brothers middle names are legit Mario and Luigi but it's actually just a funny coincidence.

*I have huge boobs... It's a curse, LOL

*I own a vintage Vespa... I don't know why. I'm afraid to ride it... but I have it.

Stereotypes I don't fit

*I'm not stupid (which most Italians now a days are portrayed as freaking idiots)

*I cannot cook to save my life. I almost always burn everything.

*I'm not a "hand talker" always flailing my hands around when I speak.

*I don't have a huge family. In fact, I have almost no family. (we're portrayed as having these HUUUUUGE families. Maybe in actual Italy, but in America not so much. At least not me. Of course, that may be because most of my family is locked up, (see above) LOL

*That I am a terrible driver (I am actually a damn excellent driver)

*I am not tan... I get confused for Portuguese all the time... in fact I'm so white that you probably ought to bust out the sun glasses if you look at my legs.

*I don't drink... Are Italians drinkers? I mean... I guess we're portrayed as wine drinkers maybe.. in either case. No thanks.

If we're counting American stereotypes then I'm also not one of those "I live in the best country and the world and every other country pales in comparison to "Murica! No... I realize America sucks A LOT. Call me unpatriotic, but I'd prefer a realist. I'm not saying America sucks either, but we have a LOOOOOOOT of nerve sometimes and frankly I understand why most other countries hate us. If I had to hear that crap constantly too I'd hate us too. I really hope most folks realize our government doesn't necessarily represent the average American, the same way other governments don't effectively represent their masses either.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3

Last edited by drag0nfeathers; 05-13-2018 at 02:54 PM.
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I was only wearing Adidas boots when I was a kid.
Russians are very friendly to people they like, even for strangers, but they are also can be very judgmental (that fits me) and quick to anger, especially when drunk.
Tbh I dunno how the "Slavs and Adidas" meme came to be. Adidas are a major sports brand all over Europe. In every country you'll find people wearing Adidas and also brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag0nfeathers View Post

*I am not tan... I get confused for Portuguese all the time... in fact I'm so white that you probably ought to bust out the sun glasses if you look at my legs.
Some Portuguese people have rather nice naturally tanned skin as well, though. I've only been to Italy once when I was young and don't encounter Italian tourists often in my country, but I don't think Italians on average are more tanned or less than Portuguese people? Can't say I've noticed a pattern.

A stereotype people have about people who live south of Austria/Switzerland is that they're all rather tanned. But that's because people tend to notice those kinds of people the most. Just liek if I go to The Netherlands I'll notice the super tall people the most. Lots of people are pale or have a normal skin tone here. That's more evident if you come here during colder months, where obviously no one is hitting the beach.

That being said, even when we're pale as hell we're not as pale as some Irish and British people are. Jesus, I'm pretty pale already and many people from Ireland and the UK are EVEN paler than I am. How don't they get skin cancer by the time they're 20?

Last edited by Prowler; 05-13-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #12
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

Quote:

Some Portuguese people have rather nice naturally tanned skin as well, though. I've only been to Italy once when I was young and don't encounter Italian tourists often in my country, but I don't think Italians on average are more tanned or less than Portuguese people? Can't say I've noticed a pattern.

A stereotype people have about people who live south of Austria/Switzerland is that they're all rather tanned. But that's because people tend to notice those kinds of people the most. Just liek if I go to The Netherlands I'll notice the super tall people the most. Lots of people are pale or have a normal skin tone here. That's more evident if you come here during colder months, where obviously no one is hitting the beach.

That being said, even when we're pale as hell we're not as pale as some Irish and British people are. Jesus, I'm pretty pale already and many people from Ireland and the UK are EVEN paler than I am. How don't they get skin cancer by the time they're 20?
No you're right. My brother in law is Portuguese and he is very tan. He also works outside for al living so that's mostly why. Usually the first thing a guy says when they find out I'm Italian is "Really, you're not tan and hairy enough to be Italian."

I CAN tan... I'll usually get one initial burn, and then tan after that for the rest of the season, but my natural pale-ness always seems to devour any tan at all and I'm back to having panda eyes again.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag0nfeathers View Post
No you're right. My brother in law is Portuguese and he is very tan. He also works outside for al living so that's mostly why. Usually the first thing a guy says when they find out I'm Italian is "Really, you're not tan and hairy enough to be Italian."

I CAN tan... I'll usually get one initial burn, and then tan after that for the rest of the season, but my natural pale-ness always seems to devour any tan at all and I'm back to having panda eyes again.
Yeah a lot of those more tanned people get even more tanned when they go under the sun during summer.

The most I can get is a bit of a tan on my arms and legs. But it eventually fades away.

I am hairy though

From my limited observations, Italians on average seem to be more physically similar looking to Greeks than to people from the Iberian Peninsula. Then again Greeks settled in Italy in the past and influenced some local languages/dialects, so that might explain some genetic influence as well? But on the other hand, I notice that Italians seem to have more natural blonde and more northern looking people on average than Portugal and Spain do. Perhaps that's due to Italy bordering Central Europe and being closer to Germany? Same happens with the French from my observation, btw.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #14
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I'm black and I probably have more stereotypes that I don't fit than ones I would. Anyway, here goes.

What I fit:
-I like curvy women
-I grew up in an urban area

What I don't fit:
-My taste in music is eclectic and not limited to just R&B and hip hop (my avatar would even give that away)
-I don't talk or act "ghetto"
-I don't eat ribs, burgers, and steak, and am in fact a vegetarian
-I'm not really into basketball (or any sports for that matter)
-I don't blame white people for pretty much everything wrong in the world
-I'm not "smooth" when it comes to talking to women
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

As an introvert... I don't like the incorrect stereotypes about introverts, but by simply who I am I inevitability make some of it look true.

It should by all accounts be a family stereotype that my dad's family does not move from this part of the country. There is a particular region, a swath that reaches across sections of a few small states, where my dad's side has been for generations and the vast majority of it STILL is. Any moves across state lines still remained within this region.

The whole rest of the country out there and nope... people immigrated, settled here, and won't budge. Still. This family does NOT move. lol (Mom's side on the other hand has wandered from the east to Midwest; many staying out there but a few wandering back east again over generations.)

I guess some of the biggest ones I don't fit are just that as a woman I dislike makeup, I'll never understand the shoe obsession, could not care less about fashion, I wouldn't label myself as maternal...
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #16
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Mexican stereotypes I fit into

I love spicy food

I love authentic Mexican food

I think there's a black/hispanic stereotype where they like big butts and cannot lie

Mexican stereotypes I don't fit into

I was never good with landscaping or yard work

I don't like beans. I can eat burritos/chimichangas and whatnot if they're spicy enough where I don't really taste the beans

I speak English 24/7, so I'm not ending my sentences with 'ese' and 'homes' and whatnot

I'm a legal citizen LOL

Nerd geek stereotypes I fit into

I'm into comics, videogames, cartoons, superhero movies, all that

Nerd geek stereotype I don't fit into

I'm not that good at math, science and whatnot. I remember everyone in grade school thought I was like the 'could solve any math equation in my head' type of nerd, but no, I just liked Ninja Turtles and Super Mario

It was weird, back then videogames were considered being for kids, but I was the only kid in my general area actually interested in going to the arcade, not counting other kids there of course.

Not into FPS or those MMOs. I never got into that 3D shooter era, and don't really have time to just play games for 5 hours straight.

Not the biggest Star Wars/Star Trek fan. I don't really care much to be into the lore. And I don't make it first priority to watch the latest movie or tv show related to them.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #17
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Texas stereotypes I fit

- Sweet tea pretentiousness. For gods sake, you mix the sugar in while the water is hot, you heathens!
- Have a passing familiarity with riding horses (equine therapy in third grade, riding horses at various camps)
- I pronounce "pecan" as "peh-cahn" , not "pee-can" like some barbarian.

Texas Stereotypes I don't fit

- In high school, people thought I was from a northern state because I don't have a Southern accent
- I don't like barbecue, and strongly dislike BBQ sauce
- Can't take the heat
- Don't and won't wear Texas pride on my sleeve
- I would like to live where I can get lots of snow, please.
- More "blue" than "red"
Old 06-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Nerd geek stereotypes I fit into

I'm into comics, videogames, cartoons, superhero movies, all that

Nerd geek stereotype I don't fit into

I'm not that good at math, science and whatnot. I remember everyone in grade school thought I was like the 'could solve any math equation in my head' type of nerd, but no, I just liked Ninja Turtles and Super Mario
I had not thought about this. Same here(well I'm not into superheroes except TMNT). Except I don't recall anyone ever assuming I was good at maths for liking video games and the ninja turtles. Maths was actually my worst subject in school alongside art. Also, I was never a top student overall. I was a pretty average student. My best subjects were subjects like English, History, Geography, German, Portuguese(sometimes). None being hard sciences as you can see.

In every online community there seem to be a TON of people who are/were students of computer engineering, IT, biology, chemistry, etc. In fact they seem to be the majority. I'd rather learn Chinese... and I'm never gonna attempt to learn that.