The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #21
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
You guys DO know that the kids from part 1 had a say in who plays them as adults, right? That's probably a big reason for all the unknowns. They were picking their adult counterparts themselves.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
You guys DO know that the kids from part 1 had a say in who plays them as adults, right?
They did? They should have 0 say. Though the adult actors and the kid actors should be forced to hang out so the adults can "get" the kid actors, and I'm sure they did that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #23
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They did? They should have 0 say. Though the adult actors and the kid actors should be forced to hang out so the adults can "get" the kid actors, and I'm sure they did that.
I agree 100%.

Who gave the child actors a voice? I have not heard that one before.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

It was something Mr D read about the movies. Might have been on IMDb, or Entertainment Weekly. But yes, the idea was for the kids to have a hand in choosing their adult counterparts for a better "fit" to who the kids were. I think it's an interesting idea- why spend tons on famous actors, if they don't fit the bill? These aren't just kids, they are playing a role where the two parts HAVE to make sense and fit together. So maybe they SHOULD habe a say.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

http://www.darkhorizons.com/jessica-...filming-on-it/

So Jessica Chastain has filmed all of her scenes and has gone home, while everyone else is still filming.

Seems like the theory that they blew all their budget on her (and McAvoy) is probably true. You know, schedule all of the scenes involving the most expensive actress into the beginning most days (even if they're out of order) to get them done faster and out the door to reduce their going fee. Seems sound.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
http://www.darkhorizons.com/jessica-...filming-on-it/

So Jessica Chastain has filmed all of her scenes and has gone home, while everyone else is still filming.

Seems like the theory that they blew all their budget on her (and McAvoy) is probably true. You know, schedule all of the scenes involving the most expensive actress into the beginning most days (even if they're out of order) to get them done faster and out the door to reduce their going fee. Seems sound.
Makes sense, but I really don't get why anyone felt a need to cast a couple of big names for this. The kids were all pretty much unknown (except for the kid from Stranger Things)...
Old 08-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Makes sense, but I really don't get why anyone felt a need to cast a couple of big names for this. The kids were all pretty much unknown (except for the kid from Stranger Things)...
You kind of have to cast unknowns for a group of little kids. You know, you like that little kid from that movie you saw 2, 3 years ago? Well, they're already too old now. The adults, not the same thing. I kind of just wanted to see a fun name for Ben.

Sorta feels like they received their budget for Chapter Two before they even realized the first one was a hit.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #28
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
You kind of have to cast unknowns for a group of little kids. You know, you like that little kid from that movie you saw 2, 3 years ago? Well, they're already too old now. The adults, not the same thing. I kind of just wanted to see a fun name for Ben.

Sorta feels like they received their budget for Chapter Two before they even realized the first one was a hit.
But will we be able to see Bill as Bill, or will we just see McAvoy? Because it took me most to the end of the movie before I could see Trashmouth as Trashmouth instead of Mike from Stranger Things.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:13 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw it. It was OK. It kind of goes through and checks the minimum number of boxes of everything you would expect to see in it and that's about it.

Not as funny as the first one. We see bits with the kids (creepily de-aged with CGI, as they've admitted, voices too which are just a little bit "off"... and I'm pretty sure they even gave Young Ben some prosthetic cheeks) but I didn't laugh one time this time. Couple of scary moments gave me the chills, but just briefly.

I expected more from It's final form. Too tame. The It final form in the mini-series was creepier than what we get here, though that hasn't aged well in motion.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #30
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What was the point of making Richie gay for Eddie? Eddie is the one that may or maybe not. Was it to cater to modern audiences and make bi-sexuality clear and tag it on to one that survives instead of the one that may be is dead? It just takes away from what Bill Hader was doing and adds nothing to it. I felt like it was political and "modernizing" and was unresolved.

Overall some of IT was better while some was worse like being in there for the sake of it like Bowsers presence or adding something like Bev killing her father in self-defense. I do like the 1990 mini-series better. Yes, its chessy,but I like one-liners that this adaptation lacks.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #31
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What was the point of making Richie gay for Eddie? Eddie is the one that may or maybe not. Was it to cater to modern audiences and make bi-sexuality clear and tag it on to one that survives instead of the one that may be is dead? It just takes away from what Bill Hader was doing and adds nothing to it. I felt like it was political and "modernizing" and was unresolved.

Overall some of IT was better while some was worse like being in there for the sake of it like Bowsers presence or adding something like Bev killing her father in self-defense. I do like the 1990 mini-series better. Yes, its chessy,but I like one-liners that this adaptation lacks.
I mean, Bowers did come back in the original and his return was similarly less screen time than when he was a kid.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #32
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Saw it. It was OK. It kind of goes through and checks the minimum number of boxes of everything you would expect to see in it and that's about it.

Not as funny as the first one. We see bits with the kids (creepily de-aged with CGI, as they've admitted, voices too which are just a little bit "off"... and I'm pretty sure they even gave Young Ben some prosthetic cheeks) but I didn't laugh one time this time. Couple of scary moments gave me the chills, but just briefly.

I expected more from It's final form. Too tame. The It final form in the mini-series was creepier than what we get here, though that hasn't aged well in motion.
I thought the miniseries final form was quite pathetic looking and they could had hired better effects artists and it's what hurt the miniseries.

The miniseries has not aged well, i'll take the new movies over the cheesy miniseries which felt cheap
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #33
AquaParade
Banned

I look forward to renting this when it comes out digitally. May even cave and buy it if my patience is low. I would have seen it in theaters if the word was that it’s creepier than the first, but it sounds like the opposite. As it is, I’m still looking forward to it based on other aspects.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It does seem like they were going for "important" points vs. just giving him/them a good character arc in that. A lot of the critics leading up to the release were praising Hader's performance as even "stealing the show" and now I see what they were talking about -- it aligns with their agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon1982 View Post
I thought the miniseries final form was quite pathetic looking and they could had hired better effects artists and it's what hurt the miniseries.

The miniseries has not aged well, i'll take the new movies over the cheesy miniseries which felt cheap
I just mean the design of the creature's final form in the mini. Say what you will about the effects used to bring it to life then... but that thing looked freaking scary, and alien-like. Not just Pennywise's torso with crabby legs.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #35
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I went in thinking instead of drifting towards Ben and a little Mike I might pick Richie out as the one I could relate to or thought was hilarious based on the non-spoiler feedback. Nope. Just an agenda that set me up. Too bad Stephon could not give us the top scary places to go in Derry. Come on, SNL do it!

The mini-series budget was limited which is why the special effects were not to mention the special effects at that point were more mechanical than CGI. I was glad to see the ritual part in the 2017/2019 adapation since it was a part of the book and not just thrown in for the sake of it being in the book so it had to be there. Its hard to interpret.

Aside from the whole made for movie Richie is closet gay for his friend bit the ending is the same as the T.V. two parter though Stan narrates. Was it just me or was it stating his choice or chickening out by suicide was heroic? That was the other thing that did not sit well with me. Trying to make statements, but falling flat.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #36
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
I went in thinking instead of drifting towards Ben and a little Mike I might pick Richie out as the one I could relate to or thought was hilarious based on the non-spoiler feedback. Nope. Just an agenda that set me up. Too bad Stephon could not give us the top scary places to go in Derry. Come on, SNL do it!

The mini-series budget was limited which is why the special effects were not to mention the special effects at that point were more mechanical than CGI. I was glad to see the ritual part in the 2017/2019 adapation since it was a part of the book and not just thrown in for the sake of it being in the book so it had to be there. Its hard to interpret.

Aside from the whole made for movie Richie is closet gay for his friend bit the ending is the same as the T.V. two parter though Stan narrates. Was it just me or was it stating his choice or chickening out by suicide was heroic? That was the other thing that did not sit well with me. Trying to make statements, but falling flat.
Yeah, that felt kinda weird to me.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #37
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Saw it over the weekend. I'm of two minds here. I liked some aspects- the Chinese restaraunt scene was well-done, for one- but others.... Was sorely disappointed by the removal/changing of some MAJOR plot piints from the book. Beverly's husband and Bill's wife, for starters. Neither played much part in the story here, unlike in the book, where both were fairly important. Also- the biggest detail of all, namely regarding the monster itself .

Spoiler:
IE, the fact that It was actually FEMALE, and had laid eggs!

Such a huge let-down that both this version and the original tv movie left out such a HUGE part of the story!

Spoiler:
And the changes to the ending- what was up with that? In the book/tv movie, they ALL forgot again, including Mike, whose journal became the only evidence it ever happened. And a huge chunk of Derry kind of fell into a massive hole when the lair collapsed. Not to mention Mike never left.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Also- the biggest detail of all, namely regarding the monster itself .

Spoiler:
IE, the fact that It was actually FEMALE, and had laid eggs!
Yeah, I was definitely expecting way more weirdness than we got in that final battle. They just kind of show up and win.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #39
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'm still really interested in seeing it, but cutting two major characters from the story is a bit of a drag for me.

Also, the final twist regarding Pennywise and what happens to Derry... those are pretty key bits, too, that really add a lot to the story.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #40
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I am glad that Mike was not seriously injured, but it cuts Henry's role pun unintended. What would have worked was if Richie was the one that Henry injured. Richie would not be able to participate in the showdown with the Spider form and make him feel worse than the others about Eddie's sacrifice. No gay for Eddie necessary, Mike plays a role in the final confrontation and Henry's role is not for nothing.