The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
shihe
Hench Mutant

Is 2007 canon?

I was wondering this lately. It feels to me like 2007 movie is like a canon-crossroad.

Can't help but think that this movie can be a direct followup to the 4kids cartoon (which makes a lot of sense)
but at the same time... it can work as continuation to the live action movies.

................................................<< <MOVIE TIMELINE>>>
.............................................Teena ge Mutant Ninja Turtles
.................................................. ..............V
............................................TMNT2: Secret of the Ooze
...........................................Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
TMNT > Fast Forward > Back to the Sewers >2007 > Turtles Forever
<<<TV Timeline>>>

Is it canon? To one or both?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I actually like thinking of it being in continuity with the Nick cartoon now. Aside from the minor discrepancy of Karai meeting the Turtles for the first time, it works well in the Nick universe given the designs and the older age of the main cast.

April in the 4th movie looks like an adult version of Nick's April and Leonardo's voice is almost identical in both. Raph, Mike and Don also seem like older versions of their Nick counterparts.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
shihe
Hench Mutant

I could've sworn that, in the movie, Leonardo shouted "Karai!" when she came into the scene with the Turtles for the first time.

And I was like "Ka...who?"

But I really have to watch it again. And you're right, after the Nick show makes a lot of sense (so far)
Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Luigiperps
Mad Scientist

When I said that I thought it was after the nick show, no one believed me.

Why I love Mikey. He looks into the
face of a giant, killer, mutant alligator with this face.
Luigiperps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

The monsters in the 4th movie don't look all that different than the type of mutants the Turtles face either.

Since the Turtles are 18 or so in the movie and April is 20 something it works out well.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

with the movie tie-in comics the 2007 movie clearly isn't a part of the 4Kids series canon, nor the Nick show.

Since in the Leonardo comic we do see Leo meet the ancient one for the first time and it is completely different from the 4kids series and not to mention Leonardo didn't come home from his journey until the events of the movie. And in the Raph issue they fight Triceratons.

it has its own canon spinning loosely from a very generic stand point of the TMNT lore that was back in 2007, it have some few live action movie easter eggs. The movie can easily be the latest installment of the live action canon instead of Next Mutation or just be it's own being.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 04-10-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
with the movie tie-in comics the 2007 movie clearly isn't a part of the 4Kids series canon, nor the Nick show.

Since in the Leonardo comic we do see Leo meet the ancient one for the first time and it is completely from the 4kids series and not to mention Leonardo didn't come home from his journey until the events of the movie. And in the Raph issue they fight Triceratons.

it has its own canon spinning loosely from a very generic stand point of the TMNT lore that was back in 2007, it have some few live action movie easter eggs. The movie can easily be the latest installment of the live action canon instead of Next Mutation or just be it's own being.
Not sure why the comics decanonize anything, the Turtles will probably face Triceratons later on in the Nick show.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

We're talking about a movie that came out in 2007, it have little to do with the Nick show, Leo shows no mention of his favorite TV show, no references at all in the background shots, there is no Spike, Raphael's pet turtle, the Dojo is completely different, no huge tree. April is not an Kunoichi, no mention of it, only that she knows a little martial arts. Casey seems to be the same age as April, isn't he supposed to be older when he debuted in the Nick show? NO mention of former villains like the Kraang, or any of the mutant monsters, wheres Dogpound and Fishface, no reference of Dimension X when the portals open. Wheres the Shellraiser, that thing would be useful in the last fight in the movie, or why can't Don make a new one if it was broken. They just have a van.

The weapons, Leo got two katana i 2007 movie, or Mikey and Don's weapons don't change when they clearly would have needed some sharper weaponry.

there isn't much to connect the 2007 movie to the Nick continuity
Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

The movie takes place years after the events in the show. They're only 15 in the cartoon but around 18-19 in the movie. Now obviously when the movie was written Kevin Munroe had no idea there would be a CG cartoon coming a few years later.

However it fits in quite well. All the events you mention take place in Season 1 and will probably change or be done away with in time. Look at 4kids Season 1 and how different all those characters and situations became at the end of the show, it'll be the same deal for Nick.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Now obviously when the movie was written Kevin Munroe had no idea there would be a CG cartoon coming a few years later.
Exactly.

If it is to be connected to an existing canon, the best would the the movie-verse canon. The movie turtles are also around 15, movie 1 and 2 have little time line between them, move three is ambiguously enough. The turtles have taken down Shredder and demolished the Foot. Movie three also dabbles into magic and time travel, so space travel and fighting aliens in the movie comics aren't far fetched, or the spiritual things that Leo experiences in his own movie tie-in comic

In the 2007 movie Karai are trying to rebuild the Foot, hence they have been reduced to mere hired goons, the easter egg items are an indication enough that similar events like in the three live action movies have occurred, as well as other things like Mousers.

So either it have connotations to the Movie-verse or is it's own universe with it's own canon similar to the movies but with flavors from the 4Kids series.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

So obviously not canon it hurts to even waste the time to write it. It doesn't even fit with the movies. Watch the 3 movies and tell me that goofball version of Leo is capable of traveling and living on his own in South America. Tell me Judith Hoag can somehow train to be a ninja. Then the tie-in comics try to tie into the 2K3 and Mirage continuities... just does not fit.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I really don't think it's a sequel to anything. It's just TMNT - later.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #13
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

Absolutely not.
Leo and Donnie became utter dicks, Mikey became an idiot.
Splinter went from being a dying old rat to make a miraculous recovery.
That's not the same April or Casey who appeared in the original trilogy, there's nothing you can say to make me believe otherwise.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

As one who hasn't tried to re-visit the original cartoon, never watched an episode of the 2003 cartoon or the current Nick show, or who has never sat through all of the 3rd live action film but has seen the 1st and 2nd multiple times across VHS and DVD:

I always felt the "TMNT" CG movie was a loose continuity of the original films.
We didn't get reestablished to anything in particular. It wasn't a reboot. By "loose" I just mean the events have been set in motion and this movie takes place at another big moment in the Turtles lives.
I mean, it's odd to continue the story in a new medium (live action to computer animation) but there are basics set in.
The trophy room shows few odds and ends from the previous movies. Shredder is missing and thought to be defeated until Karai mentions facing familiar faces from the past, which we (and the Turtles) all assume to be Shredder.

I also never followed the comics or the lead-in titles so I have never been sure why April is seemingly as skilled with a sword as Leo or why Leo was even in South America.
I get he went there for training or whatever but I never saw a story arc anywhere leading him there to tie it in.
I just always assumed it to be some kind of narrative to be reintroduced to the Turtles and the reignite the Leo/Raph rivalry and have it make sense to an audience who may not have been following all the stories.

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

[QUOTE=Coola Yagami;1082340]Watch the 3 movies and tell me that goofball version of Leo is capable of traveling and living on his own in South America. /QUOTE]

Better development then Next Mutation

I think the turtles in TMNT, if not a loose continuation of the live action movies, they have at least encountered similar to almost the same events as the movies have and had more adventures between those events.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
sdp
-

After watching a few episodes of the Nick show I considered it canon with the 2007 movie.

When 2007 came out I wanted it to be in continuity with the movies and all fans on this forum begged for it and the director threw us a bone by adding the ending shot but that's just an easter egg but it means nothing since most of those events are not movie exclusive and happened in more than one TMNT incarnation. The comic also invalidates it being in continuity with the older movies. The Next Mutation actually has more links to the movie universe and a few of us definitely consider in continuity with the movies.

Anyway, I can see how you think it's related to 2k3, I think it was intended to be design like it with the turtles having similar personalities so the kids who liked 2k3 wouldn't feel lost. The movie popularized Fast Forward which is why the re-design for BTTS was made to look like the 2k3 movie but besides those it's not in continuity with 2k3.

Now I think the movie is in continuity with the Nick show, now of course this is only fanon as the movie is not owned by Nick however it's not just because they're both CG but the personalities of the turtles fit perfectly as more mature versions of what they have in the Nick show, the tone of the show is similar, etc. If we go by Candy Kappa's nitpicking then most shows in existence aren't canon with themselves. Of course the longer the Nick show goes on the more likely contradictions are to arise but that's besides the point, so far nothing really big is contradicting and the fact that the movie takes place many years after the defeat of Shredder and whatnot the turtles being older it only helps it fit better.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

Can't think of why people think it would contradict the Nick show ignoring Karai being with the Foot:

- April is learning how to fight in the Nick cartoon, the April in the movie is around 20 years old or whatever...so she's obviously much more skilled

- Casey is coming in Season 2, he and April will probably be love interests in the cartoon

- Leonardo's voice sounds almost identical to the Nick Leonardo. It actually shocked me when I rewatched the movie after the Nick show started, I actually thought it was Jason Biggs when it was really James Arnold Taylor.

- Raph, Don and Mike also feel like older versions of their Nick counterparts.

- Splinter got older and shorter...haha.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza
Mad Scientist

We're also considering that Nick are building an entire prequel series, in a sense, to a movie that came out 6-7 years before.

I would hope Nick would just make there own thing and not force it to follow a set of rails to lead into a movie many of the new fans watching the show may not have seen.
Shows like that kinda irk me, like Bates Motel and the upcoming Hannibal shows which are designed to be ongoing series that will somehow, eventually, lead into the legendary movies they are conceived from.

Inventory
FlogginMcMurryZombiePizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

It obviously isn't intended to fit, but its nice to think about.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #20
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It obviously isn't intended to fit, but its nice to think about.
Thank you.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies, valid questions