The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Buying/Selling/Trading

Notices

Old 01-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
funatic
Mad Scientist

Shellback selling cover to v1 issue 1 4th printing

A seminal piece that was hanging in the upstairs gallery at Shellback Artworks over the years is being sold on their facebook. It has reproduced inks by Eastman/Laird, with original colors by Laird. They're taking offers over $1500 via email, silent auction style. More info: https://www.facebook.com/ShellbackAr...56811647734051
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

I don't consider it the "cover" since it's just the colored copy of the Inks.....I know i have seen the "other"cover out there as well with the real inks.....which is colored as well

Someone else might be able to shed more light on it, I am just going on memory as I was confused when I saw it at Shellback as I thought it was owned by someone else
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post
I don't consider it the "cover" since it's just the colored copy of the Inks.....I know i have seen the "other"cover out there as well with the real inks.....which is colored as well

Someone else might be able to shed more light on it, I am just going on memory as I was confused when I saw it at Shellback as I thought it was owned by someone else
I've seen this inked one, and this prelim which just sold on comiclink. I don't think I've seen one which is colored. Do you have a pic? I seem to remember something about two versions of the inked one out there? This is a confusing cover..

MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrumh2o View Post

Yeah it's debatable since they're not the original inks what constitutes an original cover, per se. They did just confirm in the comments that it is the original colors that were used for the final cover. That's interesting that you say the original inks were colored as well. Why would they both be colored? I wonder if they're mistaken, as the one they are selling does look quite different from the printed version (which they attribute to having faded over time). If anyone knows more let us know! (Wouldn't be surprised if the owner of the original inks is on these forums?) Lol I really have no horse in this race as I'm not about to drop for $1500+ for any cover, even original inks.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
TheMasterTurtle
Mad Scientist

It’s tough but if I had to pick a favorite cover I can probably put this somewhere in my top 5. I love Eastman’s old work. It’s so smooth and clean compared to his new stuff. That inked version is just drool worthy

Do you have any Dinosaucers or a lead on where to get anything related to the show? PM Me Please!

Check out my collection!
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=39766
TheMasterTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Congrats to whoever won this. I consider it the original cover, but only in part. Both the inked and painted pieces make the cover we see in print. I still would like to see a pic of the colored inks if it exists. I couldn't find one in a google search. But upon closer inspection, this colored piece looks pretty much exact to the printed cover (albeit faded). All of the little paint stroke details are there, and the shimmers match.

Apparently sometimes, if they didn't want to risk ruining the original inks, Eastman and Laird would use copies to paint on. I wonder how many covers were done this way?
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote