The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #81
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Really, the first thing I thought of when I heard this news was how the Mirage comics are over.

I guess any hope of seeing the TMNT be a popular comic book series is now done.
It's possible Nick/Viacom can license the turtles out to another comic book publisher, especially as a way to promote the next movie, but what shape the comic book series takes is anyones guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh. Well if that's the case then the movie is very much still wet puddy in Nickelodeon's hands... to be molded in any way they see fit.
There does probably exist a early script as, Tristan has commented about it, and John Fusco did meet with Peter a few months ago, but Peter's comment on his blog would suggest it wasn't anything set in stone.

"anything new you can tell us about the upcoming movie? "

Sorry, no. Except that I will have nothing to do with it, unless they ask for my input. -- PL"
Dragon Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #82
Blade Raider
Mad Scientist

The franchise has been in the crappier ever since '07 (give or take), so I'm not surpised the Turtles have been sold. I just wish a better company bought them.

Pros:
1) Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, and all the mutants everyone has been wanting to come back for years finally has a good chance of return. If not, then they shouldn't even bother.
2) It shouldn't be the same story that's been told half a dozen times now. Fresh and new sound really good right now.
3) One man no longer fully controls the property (a problem that's become bigger the last few years). See 1.
4) The toy license will probably given to Mattel, who could do better than Playmates.
5) Paramount might make a good movie. PG-13 is still the best way to go. Worked for Transformers (R rated movie in disguise), GI Joe (PG movie in disguise), etc.

Cons:
1) It's Nickelodeon...I ****ing hate Nickelodeon. It's very much the wrong place for TMNT.
2) CGI show, why does everything have to be CGI these days?! (but that's just me and really won't hinder my enjoyment, just an annoyance)
3) The toy license will probably given to Mattel, who could do worse than Playmates. Also, there's a greater chance more NECA figures will never get made.
4) The DVD releases of the remaining 4Kids series might never see the light of day. X_X
5) The movie could turn into a movie aimed at kids younger than even TMNT III and the CGI film. PG-13 is still the best way to go.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #83
ToTheNines
[sic]

I'm just plain scared... I mean, this is a HUGE change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh. Well if that's the case then the movie is very much still wet puddy in Nickelodeon's hands... to be molded in any way they see fit.
And Pete's blog says that he has no involvement with the new movie.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #84
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Wow. I'm shocked. I guess the comics will be done soon. I hope the cartoon and movie are great, though. Too early to tell. Nick's very back-and-forth about what I like and don't like from them nowadays.

I'll keep my chin up, though. My only regret is that I'll likely never see a CaW TPB.

I wonder if Kevin was approached about buying back the TMNT before Peter sold to Nick.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #85
Hero
British Bloke

You never know, if Nick had'nt have stepped in, Disney could have added another trophey to thier collection of licenses.

===HERO
Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #86
odupianist
Mad Scientist

I, like many others, am quite confused, baffled, and surprised. This does explain the website changes and other minor things. (Just when I was getting ready to buy a few books that I was missing from Mirage too). I liked Nick in the 90's: Doug, Rocko, etc. Looking back at Rocko, it actually had some underlying adult tones. I doubt they'll do that with TMNT. I really hope they don't make the turtles a kiddy product, and they make it a nice mix for both adults and kids. I guess time will have to tell. I do not know if this is good or bad yet.

I'm disappointed about the comics. I know they were ending already, but still. I feel bad for the Mirage staff. I hope they get a damn good severance package.

As for the TV and movie stuff, I hope they stick with the live action movie like they planned with CG heads and the like. As for TV show, I wonder if it'll be like the CGI proposed TMNT show back from 2000 or so. I hope we do get the rest of the 2k3 season sets and BttS DVDs.

In an article I read on IGN, it said Nick was sticking with Playmates.

Random thought (hopefully to put a smile on faces): Does this mean Mirage is going to have a giant garage sale at their studio? If so, road trip anyone?
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #87
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
I
Random thought (hopefully to put a smile on faces): Does this mean Mirage is going to have a giant garage sale at their studio? If so, road trip anyone?
Oh yeah, that thought has crossed my mind many times, especially seeing as I'm only about two hours outside of NoHo as it is.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #88
ToTheNines
[sic]

Interesting quote

Alfred Kahn, Chairman and CEO of 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. “We will also work with Mirage and Viacom so that our Turtles’ licensees can be assured of a seamless transition.”
Old 10-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #89
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Anyone who says Nick isn't the right place for this is f*cking retarded. Nick has had some of the best animated shows ever, including Avatar.

I'm hella excited for this.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:54 PM   #90
Aneras713
Hench Mutant

*rubs eyes and reads again*....*realizes it's not a joke*.............

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH!
*dies in terror*

(Seriously though, I like some of the stuff on Nick and all, but the idea of them handling my favorite heros of all time....yeah....the scene above kind explains it.)
Why the shell am I here? Cause it's 3:15 in the morning and what else am I gonna do?
Aneras713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #91
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Oh, it's great news... for the cartoon.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #92
Kendamu
Sewerhead

Could go either way. If it turns out bad, I have 25 years of good stuff to look back on.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #93
Brodie
Certified Teacher

See, I don't see it as much of a problem...considering nothing was going to be happening with TMNT until the movie hit anyway. We got lame games, and hints at playmates toys. No cartoon stuff, no real news on the Turtles Forever... If Nick has it, they'll do SOMETHING.

Then we'll all have something to complain about again, rather than complaining about the lack of things to complain about.

Nick can't do anything worse to TMNT than Laird has been doing for the passed 2 years or so.

Edit: Also, curious about thoughts from people in terms of DVDs...Nick has a history of starting DVD sales then nixing them (Pete and Pete, Clarissa, etc), only consistently releasing Spongebob and Avatar... Turtles have issues already getting discs out...

Does this effect the OT releases?
Old 10-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #94
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I just don't understand why the sale at all. If Laird wanted out, why didn't he just...pass the reins off to someone else? And what was the point of buying out Eastman's stake if all he was going to do was sell it again?
Who would he pass the reins off to? Was anyone Mirage really that interested in taking over the franchise?

And maybe Peter bought out Eastman to make the deal with Nick/Viacom go smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Raider View Post
2) It shouldn't be the same story that's been told half a dozen times now. Fresh and new sound really good right now.
We might get a show based on the music turtles, when dealing with a big corporation you never know.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #95
Canadian Turtle
Mad Scientist

I think this is a very positive move. There are many things coming down the pipe! This is going to bring all new directions and flexibility to the product. IF you were to ask me, I would say "hold on! this should be pretty good!" But thats just me...
Canadian Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #96
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
From Steve Murphy:
I’ll help with “the transition” to Nick, wrap up any loose ends here at Mirage, move all of our archived product off-site, empty the front offices, then join the great unwashed. Everyone will be leaving here at some point during the next 2-5 months, by my reckoning, although the artists can maintain their personal office space in the “studio” side of the building (since Pete owns the building).
Wait, so Nick is moving into the old building... or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTandYuGiOhDVDfan View Post
And does this also mean that Yu-Gi-Oh! and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's will be with paramount for the DVD Distribution Deal?
Shut the hell up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
But is anyone other than Laird benefiting from that $60 million?
Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCure View Post
Anyone who says Nick isn't the right place for this is f*cking retarded.
It's great for a show/movie, I'm just really upset about the comics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Turtle View Post
We might get a show based on the music turtles, when dealing with a big corporation you never know.
Oh c'mon dude, have you actually watched the current Nicktoons? They aren't that bad.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #97
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Turtle View Post
I think this is a very positive move. There are many things coming down the pipe! This is going to bring all new directions and flexibility to the product. IF you were to ask me, I would say "hold on! this should be pretty good!" But thats just me...
I have to agree with you... Just curious, will there be some new footage, interviews since this has came to light for the documentary? I would be very interested in hearing that...

-mm
Old 10-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #98
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Nick can't do anything worse to TMNT than Laird has been doing for the passed 2 years or so.
This.

I'm happy about this. This is the change the franchise needs. Spare me the "BUT IT FO WIDDLE KIDS! I NOT A KID!" babble.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:08 PM   #99
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by odupianist View Post
In an article I read on IGN, it said Nick was sticking with Playmates.
For now at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post

Edit: Also, curious about thoughts from people in terms of DVDs...Nick has a history of starting DVD sales then nixing them (Pete and Pete, Clarissa, etc), only consistently releasing Spongebob and Avatar... Turtles have issues already getting discs out...

Does this effect the OT releases?
The OT is owned by Fred Wolf so I don't believe this will have any effect, unless Nick/Viacom go after the rights to the OT.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #100
rayfillet101
Mad Scientist

Nick also has wolverine and the x-men, which is one of the best superhero cartoons around...

"When you scream my name, pleading for the pain to stop, you may call me...Bishop."
rayfillet101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybercubed the timemaster