The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 08-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #801
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
In a CGI movie they can, They can go all crazy and weird with the mutants.
Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

Loading a story with a bunch of random characters has never been a good thing in TMNT. Even the 80s cartoon characters proved a tough sell for kids with Out of the Shadows so how are people going to feel about a bunch of characters they've never heard of and most of which were too silly even for Fred Wolf.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:14 PM   #802
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

Loading a story with a bunch of random characters has never been a good thing in TMNT. Even the 80s cartoon characters proved a tough sell for kids with Out of the Shadows so how are people going to feel about a bunch of characters they've never heard of and most of which were too silly even for Fred Wolf.
Since you put it that way, Perhaps they should, Because they can if they want.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:15 PM   #803
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Imo, I'd rather any thought of pulling inspiration from the old toyline was kept to tv series only.

If we'd gotten really good movies and were now on, say, a 4th or 5th sequel, maybe there would be room to play with that, but the first in a reboot really needs to avoid having other characters unnecessarily hog screen time (and budget) from the TMNT. I know some aren't crazy about it in a series either, but in terms of the time limit a film just really doesn't have nearly as much room for it.

If it was some kind of scenario like Ready Player One where you have a lot of characters that are essentially just background extras, then... okay, whatever, I guess, but that's still budget down the drain, and in this case kind of defeats the concept of what the TMNT is in the part of their story that is about them being isolated.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #804
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Imo, I'd rather any thought of pulling inspiration from the old toyline was kept to tv series only.

If we'd gotten really good movies and were now on, say, a 4th or 5th sequel, maybe there would be room to play with that, but the first in a reboot really needs to avoid having other characters unnecessarily hog screen time (and budget) from the TMNT. I know some aren't crazy about it in a series either, but in terms of the time limit a film just really doesn't have nearly as much room for it.
I disagree, They can look at those toys and get inspiration for what they can put in there movie, We still don't know what its gonna be like, It could be FW since Seth Rogen was a fan of the original.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #805
Galactus
Foot Elite

If they were just Easter Eggs I could be down with that. Like Shredder trying to make a mutant army and we see a bunch of mutants in a cages and they are all characters from the toyline I could see that.

Then again I've always been with Peter Laird on this; too many mutants makes the turtles and Splinter feel less special. Of course not all those toy characters were mutants. Still anything other than an easter egg or a small role should require set up and frankly no one is going to sit through a TMNT about the origin of King Lionheart or whoever.

Also why does everyone assume Rogen is a fan of the property. We've gotten no interview confirming he's a fan of any version. Yet people assume he's a OG comic fanboy or an 80s Fred Wolf animated series fan.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #806
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-Happy View Post
Varner Studios (who sculpted most of the original playmates figures) posted this on their Instagram today. Fairly certain its for this movie, as the Jost one isn’t even written yet

https://i.imgur.com/Hxdvuf8_d.webp?m...idelity=medium
The only thing I get out of this picture is wondering if the woman in the tank top has big boobs from the front. Anyone have a pic of her facing the other way?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 06:54 PM   #807
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
If they were just Easter Eggs I could be down with that. Like Shredder trying to make a mutant army and we see a bunch of mutants in a cages and they are all characters from the toyline I could see that.
That would be an interesting way to toss some of them in there.

And agree on other mutants needing to take up time, and time away from the TMNT, to establish their existence.

If anyone has watched that "Arlo the Alligator Boy" animated movie on Netflix, it's a really good example of mutant/hybrid characters living in a world otherwise dominated by humans and having zero explanation for why they exist... and have to be honest, it was a little bothersome.

The 2014 film was already bothersome enough in how much time it spend on characters besides the Turtles, I'd prefer not to keep repeating that. If it's their film, then I want to see what they are doing in it.

edit: *sigh* Cubed.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #808
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, but we know 'Claw doesn't care about TMNT in itself, as much as he likes TMNT for being a Furry Character Delivery System. So he's not interested in whether or not a movie is actually good, or whether it treats the primary TMNT cast well. He's just hoping for lots and lots of mutants to be in it so he can have more bait for whatever's going on in his head during private time.

Let's just be plain about it and call it like it is.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 10:57 PM   #809
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

If they made Mirage style video game and it was a hit then maybe Hwood would listen
Hamato Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:54 PM   #810
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I would love to see characters like Old Hob appear in the CGI or live action movie, He would be a cool character to bring into a movie, And someone like Idris Elba as the voice would be cool to hear.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:05 PM   #811
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
I would love to see characters like Old Hob appear in the CGI or live action movie, He would be a cool character to bring into a movie, And someone like Idris Elba as the voice would be cool to hear.
Lol don't bring Idris Elba into this just because you're hyped for the recent Sonic news!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #812
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Lol don't bring Idris Elba into this just because you're hyped for the recent Sonic news!
Idris Elba as the voice of Old Hob would make him sound bad ass.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:17 PM   #813
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Idris Elba as the voice of Old Hob would make him sound bad ass.
Wouldn't Hob have an American accent? I always sort of imagined him sounding like Jack Nicholson or Alec Baldwin.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #814
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Wouldn't Hob have an American accent? I always sort of imagined him sounding like Jack Nicholson or Alec Baldwin.
Idris Elba can do an American accent too.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #815
dawwe
Foot Soldier

I wonder when we will start seeing the designs for the turtles. Probably in a year or something like that.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #816
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Comments from the head of Nickelodeon.:

Quote:
We're really excited about the slate we've built, starting with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reinvention that's being produced by Seth Rogen. I saw a first animation of the movie last week and it's going to be amazing. It's hysterical. Quality matters more than ever now. We have to deliver quality and we're really excited about Turtles as a franchise in general.
https://www.viacomcbs.com/news/conte...ross-platforms
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #817
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm sure the CG animation will look good. I just worry about the designs (rightfully so after both Rise and the 2014 movies), and the scary possibility they might be human teens before mutation.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #818
Sumac
Banned

I don't have any expectations at this point.

Some artist new to the franchise will decide to "leave his mark" on the legendary series and turn them into another abomination a-la Hulk-tles or cartoony clowns from Rise.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:53 PM   #819
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

They may say that quality really matters, but I no longer trust that they recognize what "quality" even is when it come to TMNT...

If a "first animation" (test?) is "hysterical" right off the bat that makes me super skeptical. I don't care if there is some humor, TMNT is probably always going to have it, but I really hate this trend in animation where the humor feels too forced, and if "hysterical" is where the small leaks of info start, it gives me forced-humor vibes already.

I'd be grateful to be proven wrong though.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #820
AquaParade
Banned

For me, there are no expectations. Which is fine.

My personal hope is that this movie excels at whatever it is trying to do, so if I decide to check it out, out of curiosity, it will entertain or even surprise me. I basically have the same expectations I'd have for a new Saturday morning cartoon, which is zilch. Except here, they'll at least have more budget to play with.

But as far as looking forward to it or putting any eggs in the basket? No. I'm actually pretty content with the fact that the comics appeal to me again. If a movie turns up that sounds promising, that's a bonus.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote