The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 10-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Don’t Expect a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, Says Producer

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” under-performed at the box office, earning $245 million worldwide — half the gross of its 2014 predecessor — and catching its producers by surprise.

“We loved the movie. We loved making the movie,” producer Andrew Form told Collider. “From our first Super Bowl teaser to everything we launched, we felt so good about our material, and for some reason it did not find the audience that the first movie found.”

RELATED: “TMNT: Out of the Shadows” Honest Trailer Gets Right to the Point

When it came to what went wrong, Form offered, “We talk about it all the time, and we tried to figure it out, but we cannot put our finger on what happened. We really can’t. It’s just one of those things where we feel like we made a really great movie; we thought at the time that our release date was great, and we added all these new characters with Bebop and Rocksteady and Baxter Stockwell had a big role in the movie and Casey Jones and for some reason when it came to opening weekend … Even before the movie came out, we were feeling great. And you wake up two days before the movie opens and you go, ‘Wow, I don’t know if this movie is tracking as well as it should.'”

Ultimately, the low box-office numbers likely spell doom for another sequel. “I don’t think there’s ‘Turtles 3,'” Form said, “but I wouldn’t say there’s never going to be another ‘Turtles’ movie.”

“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” is available on Digital HD, Blu-ray and DVD.

http://www.cbr.com/dont-expect-a-tee...B-P&view=lista
Old 10-30-2016, 12:42 PM   #2
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

So they'll make a different universe movie?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
When it came to what went wrong, Form offered, “We talk about it all the time, and we tried to figure it out, but we cannot put our finger on what happened. We really can’t. It’s just one of those things where we feel like we made a really great movie; we thought at the time that our release date was great, and we added all these new characters with Bebop and Rocksteady and Baxter Stockwell had a big role in the movie and Casey Jones and for some reason when it came to opening weekend … Even before the movie came out, we were feeling great. And you wake up two days before the movie opens and you go, ‘Wow, I don’t know if this movie is tracking as well as it should.'”
New characters from the old show ≠ Good movie.

Good storytelling/writing/characters/smart humor/action = Good movie.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
Shellington
Foot Soldier

The films were okay IMO. Standard superhero fare which took elements from the TMNT story, and was reasonably faithful and enjoyable.

The problem is they couldn't get together a good origin for the mutated animals, which really spoiled things.

The first film took from Rise of the Planet of the Apes (animals used as lab subjects for a new medication, that grants them intelligence and humanoid capability) and The Amazing Spider-Man (lizard-like humanoids, fight on a tower), and also from the IDW TMNT comics (Turtles and Splinter raised in a lab, the reincarnations of Hamato Yoshi and his four dead sons). But they removed Hamato Yoshi, so it didn't feel right.

The second film did a little better IMO with introducing Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang, and slightly embracing its cartoonish cowabunga crazy nature. And then they used a different mutagen origin: inside every human there's a dormant animal gene from an animal ancestor, and the Mutagen Ooze allows that gene to dominate the human and turn into its respective ancestor. Thus, Bebop and Rocksteady evolved from warthogs and rhinos and the Turtles could evolve into humans if the mutagen was altered. That logic makes no damn sense, even for 1980s Ninja Turtles which was over-the-top.

Also, the Shredder was underused in both films. In the first film he was the stepfather some white businessman who wanted to use the mutagen to kill people and then make a cure to sell to people, becoming stupid rich (his own words). Actually, the white dude was supposed to be the Shredder but people complained so they brought in a Japanese actor.
The second film kept him Japanese, but had him be Krang's errand boy and later slave, and didn't even give him good armor or a fight with the Turtles IMO.

I have to admit, I don't know where the third film could have gone. Would it be Turtles in time (again), or Turtles in space?

Anyway that's it for Michael Bay's TMNT.
"And we're teenagers." Mikey, the Teenager
Shellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Good. Rip the rights out of Platinum Dunes' hands, wait a few years, and try again with actual writers. ACTUAL. WRITERS. Who respect the source material in ALL of its forms.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Thank God this nightmare is over.
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Are these idiots seriously that oblivious or are they just trying to cover their trail of destruction by shrugging their shoulders?
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
— and catching its producers by surprise.
Wait, so despite the high levels of criticism, and even hate, after the first, the fact that audiences didn't pour in for the second caught them by surprise? Exactly how long have these people been in that business..? Have they not been down the sequel road before?? You'd think they'd have a better sense of predicting of how a sequel may turn out if audience reviews for the first weren't great. Way to be solely focused on the money.

Being (or acting) so clueless doesn't look good on anyone handling big films. Rather, you collectively look like a complete crock that needs to call it quits in that industry.

Quote:
“We talk about it all the time, and we tried to figure it out, but we cannot put our finger on what happened. We really can’t.
You made some poor choices and f'ed up the first, which negatively impacted interest in the second. Why is that so hard to grasp, take off the cloak of denial you're hiding in...

You can't just shake a sparkly Technodrome at fans and expect people to come running if they didn't like how the first turned out. People aren't dogs, we're not going to just up and forgive everything because you tossed a shiny new ball our way.

Quote:
our release date was great
A really slow time of the year with not much else good to see might have been a better choice...

You owe the Turtles an apology. Maybe not necessarily even to viewers, as people aren't required to like everything (though maybe to those who want their money back), but the Turtles deserved better treatment from the get-go. No matter what version and design they are.

The part of me that wants these idiots away from the Turtles is fine with it. The part of me that at least felt the 2nd was better in some important ways via changes I was really hoping would happen for almost 2 years, and had continued to want to see it correct this black mark in the franchise and improve itself over time and kinda wanted to know where it would go from here for these Turtles... that part is a little sad and irked at them for screwing up in the first place.

I feel bad for the director though. He's still new and surely trying to get films that turned out well under his name is still important to him. They kind of screwed him by not getting better writers to handle the script.

Also the Turtles' actors, I wouldn't mind them portraying our boys still for a while.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 10-30-2016 at 01:53 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Are these idiots seriously that oblivious or are they just trying to cover their trail of destruction by shrugging their shoulders?
It's most likely the latter.

Either way, glad this particular movie franchise is dead.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
New characters from the old show ≠ Good movie.

Good storytelling/writing/characters/smart humor/action = Good movie.
The 1987 TV series and its characters are not to blame for the box-office performance of this film. People just really don't want to see Michael Bay films anymore. Transformers: Age of Extinction did not bring in as big of numbers as its predecessors. It's North American box-office total might not even be that accurate since Rentrak stated that its opening weekend numbers were not what the receipts stated. People also just really don't want to see films with bad reviews anymore. Suicide Squad was the rare exception this year while Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice barely turned a profit.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
snake
Disgusting

These people really are clueless
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #12
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellington View Post
The films were okay IMO. Standard superhero fare which took elements from the TMNT story, and was reasonably faithful and enjoyable.

The problem is they couldn't get together a good origin for the mutated animals, which really spoiled things.

The first film took from Rise of the Planet of the Apes (animals used as lab subjects for a new medication, that grants them intelligence and humanoid capability) and The Amazing Spider-Man (lizard-like humanoids, fight on a tower), and also from the IDW TMNT comics (Turtles and Splinter raised in a lab, the reincarnations of Hamato Yoshi and his four dead sons). But they removed Hamato Yoshi, so it didn't feel right.

The second film did a little better IMO with introducing Bebop and Rocksteady and Krang, and slightly embracing its cartoonish cowabunga crazy nature. And then they used a different mutagen origin: inside every human there's a dormant animal gene from an animal ancestor, and the Mutagen Ooze allows that gene to dominate the human and turn into its respective ancestor. Thus, Bebop and Rocksteady evolved from warthogs and rhinos and the Turtles could evolve into humans if the mutagen was altered. That logic makes no damn sense, even for 1980s Ninja Turtles which was over-the-top.

Also, the Shredder was underused in both films. In the first film he was the stepfather some white businessman who wanted to use the mutagen to kill people and then make a cure to sell to people, becoming stupid rich (his own words). Actually, the white dude was supposed to be the Shredder but people complained so they brought in a Japanese actor.
The second film kept him Japanese, but had him be Krang's errand boy and later slave, and didn't even give him good armor or a fight with the Turtles IMO.

I have to admit, I don't know where the third film could have gone. Would it be Turtles in time (again), or Turtles in space?

Anyway that's it for Michael Bay's TMNT.
Micheal Bay called your check is in the mail

also glad this franchise is gone Casey was ruined
Old 10-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
The 1987 TV series and its characters are not to blame for the box-office performance of this film. People just really don't want to see Michael Bay films anymore. Transformers: Age of Extinction did not bring in as big of numbers as its predecessors.
What the hell are you talking about? The damn thing made over a billion dollars. People (in general) still go and watch the Transformers movies, there was no drop in attendance. Michael Bay himself is not to blame for this.

The problem with Out of the Shadows is that it's a sequel to an unpopular movie that barely broke even, very few people want to see a sequel to movie they either didn't watch or didn't like, and it really doesn't help that Out of the Shadows isn't a good movie either.

And while the FW elements might not be to blame, they certainly didn't help.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #14
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
The 1987 TV series and its characters are not to blame for the box-office performance of this film. People just really don't want to see Michael Bay films anymore. Transformers: Age of Extinction did not bring in as big of numbers as its predecessors. It's North American box-office total might not even be that accurate since Rentrak stated that its opening weekend numbers were not what the receipts stated. People also just really don't want to see films with bad reviews anymore. Suicide Squad was the rare exception this year while Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice barely turned a profit.
Age of Extinction utterly destroyed the box office. Granted, not as much as past Transformers movies, but Age of Extinction shattered the box office.

And I only make that statement because according to the quote, these people expected the film to turn in great profits because, in their own words, "we added all these new characters with Bebop and Rocksteady and Baxter Stockwell had a big role in the movie and Casey Jones."

That does not mean good movie. How you represent those characters means good movie. You'd think they'd get that, but apparently not.

Hopefully the franchise get a fresh start and TMNT can be seen in a new, more respectful light in an upcoming movie. As long as PD isn't involved and/or they actually get good writers/director.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

It's nice to get confirmation, good riddance.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #16
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
What the hell are you talking about? The damn thing made over a billion dollars. People (in general) still go and watch the Transformers movies, there was no drop in attendance. Michael Bay himself is not to blame for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronardo View Post
Age of Extinction utterly destroyed the box office. Granted, not as much as past Transformers movies, but Age of Extinction shattered the box office.
I should've been more specific. I meant that it didn't reach the same heights as its predecessors at the North American box-office. The first and third made over $300 million while the second made over $400 million. The last one made $241 million, which I thought was seen as a sign of fatigue for those films. Still, that is a very respectable total.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #17
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

As said elsewhere...

What went wrong was all the mistakes with the first one, which soured people on seeing the second. Get some talented people on the next one, who care about the series in all of it's incarnations, and make a film everyone can enjoy. No alien turtle talk, no horrible designs, no poorly constructed plot. Put some time and care into making a good film, and get Kevin Eastman and Tom waltz to do the script. (or at least the story)

And as to the argument that OT elements being what made this film suck, I don't buy it. IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure. Personally, I'd to see a baxter vs rat king film with the tmnt caught in the middle, or adapt the noi-da-tar arc with chien Kahn and Ninjara from Archie.everybody has to admit those would be better than the two bay film's.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #18
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
Holy moley are you right. This one's going into the sig.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #19
Coola Yagami
Overlord

In other words the sky is blue. though to be fair I was surprised the first one had a sequel

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #20
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
Holy moley are you right. This one's going into the sig.
Cool, just remember to quote me on that one!

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tmnt 3