The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #21
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

And we were doing so well.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #22
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_thebest View Post
And we were doing so well.
Hey man, you started the thread.

I left Twitter for the most part about 6 months ago and stopped following the geek news sites. So I haven't really been privy to this until the last week or so.

Instead of reading about the comics industry, I've just been (gasp!) reading comics. I particularly like the current Mister Miracle series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I left Twitter for the most part about 6 months ago and stopped following the geek news sites. So I haven't really been privy to this until the last week or so.

Instead of reading about the comics industry, I've just been (gasp!) reading comics. I particularly like the current Mister Miracle series.
Same. Though I do admit to keeping a very well curated twitter.
The thing is, this isn't a particularly new song though. I heard it when they made Jaime Reyes the new Blue Beetle. I'm sure there was a rendition of it in 1974, when they replaced the X-Men with Different X-Men.

The tune ain't new, and it's not like it's been anything other than mediocre.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #24
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
It's not like this is a particularly new song though. I heard it when they made Jaime Reyes the new Blue Beetle. I'm sure they sang it 1974, when they replaced the X-Men with Different X-Men.
Apparently, there was a lot of hate mail sent to the Marvel offices back in '82 when Spider-Man got his black costume, which, ironically, was the result of a fan sending Marvel his idea for it by mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #25
plastroncafe

Quote:
Apparently, there was a lot of hate mail sent to the Marvel offices back in '82 when Spider-Man got his black costume, which, ironically, was the result of a fan sending Marvel his idea for it by mail.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:21 PM   #26
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

Quote:
Hey man, you started the thread.
I know, I KNOW hahaha.

Quote:
It's not bad, there were some great books this year. I'm loving Maestros right now. It's a lot of fun.

So, I thought it was worth looking over. These are the names on the blacklist, the ones that regressives are having a problem with.

Andy Khouri
Alanna Smith
Heather Antos
Tom Brevoort
Ales Kot
Aubrey Sitterson
B. Clay Moore
Dan Slott
Gabby Rivera
Gail Simone
Jennifer de Guzman
Kelly Sue DeConnick
Kurt Busiek
Larry Hama
Magdalene Vissagio
Mark Waid
Matt Fraction
Max Bemis
Nick Spencer
Sina Grace
Ta-Nehisi Coates
Tim Doyle
Zachary Davisson
Andrea Shockling
Colleen Doran
Jamal Igle
Marissa Louise
Ramon Villalobos
Tess Fowler
Kelly Fitzpatrick
Tamra Bonvillain
Triona Tree Farrell
Alex de Campi
Amy Chu
Christopher Sebela
Justin Jordan
Kirk Perez
Paul Allor
Ryan Ferrier
Ulysses Farinas
David Brothers
Kieran Schiach
Rich Johnston
Jude Terror
Joseph Glass
Matt Santori Griffith
Stephanie Cooke
Colin Spacetwinks

I also saw a poster today, of Black Panther, badly photoshopped to be holding a watermelon. It also wasn't called Black Panther anymore. I'll let you fill in the blank yourself.

So damn sad.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #27
plastroncafe

I'm amused that G. Willow Wilson isn't on this list.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #28
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

This list is about 5 days old. It's been expanded apparently.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Mark Waid, Dan Slott and Brevoort are real pricks to people in general, even if you aren't a "regressive".
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #30
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Mark Waid, Dan Slott and Brevoort are real pricks to people in general, even if you aren't a "regressive".
I noticed his name in your signature. What's that about? Do you know each other?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #31
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
From personal experience? Or that you've heard?
I can't said as I've met the latter two, but I've met Waid, and he was nice enough to me.

Of course, I met him socially...and not when we were opposite sides of a table.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #32
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
I really don't get it. Can you give an example of why you think a comic is crappy?
I never cared much for "It's ironman, but they are black." Just like I wouldnt want an asian Black Panther, I don't care much for change of characters outside of live action (Eastern heroes like the Space Sheriffs are okay since that's the whole point of Transformation heroes)

I want more original heroes. I on't want a black batman, I want an original black superhero, that is better than using a hero's name to sell a new character.

Like I get that a previously established title would have a better chance to sell then a new ip. I'm not mad that they do this, I just wish we were in a position to do it better.

Granted, I'm a huge manga reader. So literally about everything I have read stars non-white people so the race thing is a mute point.

Last edited by Allio; 02-14-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #33
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
The fanbase has changed.
How has the fanbase changed? Im not saying it hasn’t. I’m just not up to date on these things and would like to know what you have observed.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #34
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
I noticed his name in your signature. What's that about? Do you know each other?
We were friends on Facebook, but I was critical of some comics he wrote and he gave me a dressing down for it. Then I started hanging out with Doug Ernst's blog and he really lost it. I was the one who unfriended him because he was planning to rat me out publicly.

Quote:
From personal experience? Or that you've heard?
Brevoort's openly admitted online that ticking readers off is what makes them money, and we should "take our medicine". Waid has threatened people over on Twitter for disagreeing with him and held a private chat room with other writers (also on the blacklist) to beat up or intice one of the comicsgate bigwigs at a convention.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #35
plastroncafe

Now I feel entirely out of the loop.
The hashtag has bigwigs?

Is that like being a BNF?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #36
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Several of those people don't even work for Marvel or even in licensed comics anymore. Like, what the hell is Larry Hama doing there? Is he doing anything other than OG GI Joe right now? Matt Fraction? He hasn't been with Marvel for three years, has little social media presence - I remember him deleting his Twitter and giving everyone the verbal finger after people started making creepy comments about his kids years back - and doesn't do much more than Sex Criminals right now. Kelly Sue left about the same time. Jamal Igle hasn't done steady mainstream work since 2011 (last I heard he took up a marketing position in a smaller press company)

When did David Brothers get in the public eye? Did someone hire him and I didn't hear about it? Good on him if that happened. I've read his stuff from 4thletter to Comics Alliance on. The guy got me to think and learn more than a few things about black perspective on comics and the treatment within them. Given what he wrote about then, I'm not at all shocked he ended up on a s***list or two.

Gail Simone doesn't surprise me either. She's pissed people off since as far back as pointing out the poor treatment of women in comics and coining "women in refrigerators". I miss her on DC books. Secret Six was great.

Rich Johnstons inclusion amuses me, since people actually involved in making comics don't like the guy either and Mark Waid's wished the guy could be blackballed entirely at least once.

Quote:
I'm amused that G. Willow Wilson isn't on this list.
Oh, I'm sure she was just overlooked.

Quote:
Dunno about the other two, but I think at this point, people should already know full well what Mark Waid is like. Dude is outspoken and can get emotionally involved or angry over things. Especially if we're talking Superman. Been like that for as long as I've paid attention to creators and it sounds like it was like that even before message boards broke some barriers between creators and fans.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #37
plastroncafe

When all you have is a grindstone, everything looks like...an ax?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #38
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Several of those people don't even work for Marvel or even in licensed comics anymore. Like, what the hell is Larry Hama doing there? Is he doing anything other than OG GI Joe right now? Matt Fraction? He hasn't been with Marvel for three years, has little social media presence - I remember him deleting his Twitter and giving everyone the verbal finger after people started making creepy comments about his kids years back - and doesn't do much more than Sex Criminals right now. Kelly Sue left about the same time. Jamal Igle hasn't done steady mainstream work since 2011 (last I heard he took up a marketing position in a smaller press company)

When did David Brothers get in the public eye? Did someone hire him and I didn't hear about it? Good on him if that happened. I've read his stuff from 4thletter to Comics Alliance on. The guy got me to think and learn more than a few things about black perspective on comics and the treatment within them. Given what he wrote about then, I'm not at all shocked he ended up on a s***list or two.

Gail Simone doesn't surprise me either. She's pissed people off since as far back as pointing out the poor treatment of women in comics and coining "women in refrigerators". I miss her on DC books. Secret Six was great.

Rich Johnstons inclusion amuses me, since people actually involved in making comics don't like the guy either and Mark Waid's wished the guy could be blackballed entirely at least once.

Oh, I'm sure she was just overlooked.

Dunno about the other two, but I think at this point, people should already know full well what Mark Waid is like. Dude is outspoken and can get emotionally involved or angry over things. Especially if we're talking Superman. Been like that for as long as I've paid attention to creators and it sounds like it was like that even before message boards broke some barriers between creators and fans.
So, we have at least two people in the comic industry here then?
Zarius Two and yourself?

I've been doing my homework, watching Diversity in Comics to try and get perspective. I wouldn't say he knows much more than the average reader, but his ASMR seems to be winning him friends.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #39
plastroncafe

That Ernst guy is precious.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #40
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Spoiler:
I know, I KNOW hahaha.

It's not bad, there were some great books this year. I'm loving Maestros right now. It's a lot of fun.

So, I thought it was worth looking over. These are the names on the blacklist, the ones that regressives are having a problem with.

Andy Khouri
Alanna Smith
Heather Antos
Tom Brevoort
Ales Kot
Aubrey Sitterson
B. Clay Moore
Dan Slott
Gabby Rivera
Gail Simone
Jennifer de Guzman
Kelly Sue DeConnick
Kurt Busiek
Larry Hama
Magdalene Vissagio
Mark Waid
Matt Fraction
Max Bemis
Nick Spencer
Sina Grace
Ta-Nehisi Coates
Tim Doyle
Zachary Davisson
Andrea Shockling
Colleen Doran
Jamal Igle
Marissa Louise
Ramon Villalobos
Tess Fowler
Kelly Fitzpatrick
Tamra Bonvillain
Triona Tree Farrell
Alex de Campi
Amy Chu
Christopher Sebela
Justin Jordan
Kirk Perez
Paul Allor
Ryan Ferrier
Ulysses Farinas
David Brothers
Kieran Schiach
Rich Johnston
Jude Terror
Joseph Glass
Matt Santori Griffith
Stephanie Cooke
Colin Spacetwinks

I also saw a poster today, of Black Panther, badly photoshopped to be holding a watermelon. It also wasn't called Black Panther anymore. I'll let you fill in the blank yourself.

So damn sad.
Damn, our very own Paul Allor made the list. Makes me want to check out more of his work outside the TMNT

I wish dumb, regressive assholes would just find their own media to consume
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote