The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-05-2016, 05:55 PM   #1321
mrmaczaps
Banned

I didn't read any of the Archie series and was only passively aware of some of the key events from it. Odyssey was a fine read. There's enough there to figure it all out.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 PM   #1322
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
While familiarizing yourself with the future Mirage TMNT tales isn't a terrible idea, I don't really think you do more walking into "Odyssey" than know, "The Turtles are really old and have split apart. And they left Savanti Romero in a magic eye somewhere, a long time ago." And it's not a bad idea to read the Turnstone stories in "TMNT Adventures," particularly the one where TMNTA Donatello wields it for a minute, if just to better understand what it does to its wielder.

Though plenty of people familiar with this or that are rewarded at times.
Actually... if you must read something as a prerequisite... I'd urge you to consider Palladium's "Transdimensional TMNT." I kind of used this as the bible for all the time periods (many of the ones detailed here literally come to life in "Odyssey") and how time travel works in the Mirage TMNT universe. It's fairly logical.

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:37 AM   #1323
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Actually... if you must read something as a prerequisite... I'd urge you to consider Palladium's "Transdimensional TMNT." I kind of used this as the bible for all the time periods (many of the ones detailed here literally come to life in "Odyssey") and how time travel works in the Mirage TMNT universe. It's fairly logical.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...onal_TMNT.jpeg
Thanks, Andrew! I see, I have a lot of collecting before me... I'm not complaining...
Old 04-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #1324
909 Turtle Fan
Hench Mutant

Recieved my copy, thanks guys.

"Breath in the smoke, Oroku Saki, and meditate. Open your mind and all will become clear."-Kitsune, SHotFC #3

"You know what, you're not Leonardo, you're a member of the foot clan. you are a foot clan member! you're not just a member, you're Danny! you're that punk b*tch Danny!"
-Adam, workaholics, teenage mutant ninja roommates
909 Turtle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #1325
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Turtle Fan View Post
Recieved my copy, thanks guys.
Very cool !! Thanks for letting us know.

For everyone else, there are still surplus copies of TMNT Odyssey available. Prices as follows and include shipping:

- Near Mint copy ($35 US, $40 CAN, $45 INTL)
- Lightly damaged cover copy ($30 US, $35 CAN, $40 INTL)
- Increased damage cover/ minor interior page edge damage ($25 US, $30 CAN, $35 INTL)

Plus, lots of TMNT Odyssey original artwork still for sale.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #1326
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I have received word that I'll for sure have that A.C. Farley back cover by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. So that's coming.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:51 AM   #1327
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

How do you plan to sell this page?
At a fixed price or at auction?
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:20 AM   #1328
Mayhem
Foot Elite

It's going to be auctioned, I believe a metric shedload of people have already contacted Andrew about it, wanting to buy it...
Old 04-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #1329
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Did anything digital ever happen with this?

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #1330
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Did anything digital ever happen with this?
No. Now that everyone has their copy, I think I'll wait a few more weeks and then formally make it available online.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #1331
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Now that everybody has their copy, or just about, I went ahead and posted my summary and review at TMNT Entity.

Whew, that Turtle Tips annotating nearly killed me.

It's an incredible piece of work, probably the most ambitious TMNT fan project I've ever seen, and the end product is damn lavish. While not necessarily all the story beats were for me, I think the graphic novel as a whole is fantastic.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #1332
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Now that everybody has their copy, or just about, I went ahead and posted my summary and review at TMNT Entity.

It's an incredible piece of work, probably the most ambitious TMNT fan project I've ever seen, and the end product is damn lavish. While not necessarily all the story beats were for me, I think the graphic novel as a whole is fantastic.
Heck of a read. Thanks for writing that all up.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:25 AM   #1333
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Excellent. I know that was no cakewalk!

Notes:

* Green Arrow never killed Parallax in Zero Hour. Though it was made to appear as such. Raphael did actually kill Michelangelo. "Zero Hour" was peripherally an influence, but also other things from my youth... "Chrono Trigger," "Chrono Cross," Lavos, the whole matter with time travel and things becoming mucked up and then fixed... or not. And a lot of Grant Morrison tales, a lot of the kind of messages he would try to get across in every major arc. It's all a bit of a hodgepodge of various things (including the fanfiction from 16 years ago, "Transcension") to suit a singular story of the End, then smashed into the reality of Palladium's rather documentary "Transdimensional TMNT." That was the primer... thrown into a pot, set to "simmer" while pouring in all other TMNT works and an appropriately "The Dark Knight Returns" arc. At least, that was the hope.

* Laird and Eastman did reunite at that time, it's not wish fulfillment. It actually happened. It's documented in the end bit of the TMNT doc, the two of them walking about at the site of the house they shared in TMNT's inception; later, doing stuff for the last anniversary IDW material. It wasn't one saving the other from a car wreck (would it be more narratively interesting to have them respond to E-mails and meet up at a given time?)... but this serves as a somewhat -- OK, maybe highly, but this is the comic book media -- dramatized version of events. Maybe this happened right before they met up there? It was certainly never written out of disrespect or any kind of "This is what I wanna have happen, I'm a fanzilla!" Though there might have been a pocket of time when such a thing seemed impossible. I did want it there to serve as a overarching sense of, "this is what's happening in reality" (particularly with the sale) vs. "this is a little bit like what's happening also with these four elderly brothers who haven't seen each other in god knows how long." Mending bridges and moving on and such, though I can also see how that'd be a little offputting. "The Shogun" (not Michelangelo, per se) is also supposed to represent in a big way, as a metaphor, the Viacom/Nickelodeon bulldozer... but only in a metaphorical light. To me, hey, if you're throwing into things the whole Multiverse, "Reality" is kind of our eyes and ears to that... it's the Prime of the Prime... so I also thought that (the Kev & Pete reunion stuff, in vague terms, if dramatized) would remind us not only of our perspective into things, but maybe how A effects B. And maybe, hopefully, how small we or our favorite race horse is all in all in the grand pantheon, too. For me, as someone somewhat hip to the TMNT fan community, it makes me uncomfortable to read a TMNT comic with a layer of literal "Reality" to it... in a way, maybe such a thing shines a tiny little flashlight back on us and I loved that uncomfortability, and I wished to share that. Let's embrace it, I say. Particularly if this is supposed to be some kind of end. We're all messed up. It's fine.

* That's not Donatello in that final Dan Berger epilogue, carrying the ankh and all that. The last panel of the Mirage TMNT fading away... the one who isn't, that's him.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-11-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #1334
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I was always confused about Parallax getting shot by Ollie in Zero Hour (among many things related to Zero Hour).

I always figured he didn't kill him since, you know, Parallax shows up just fine in Final Night to sacrifice himself. But then I read Green Arrow: Quiver by Kevin Smith, and in it Hal tells Ollie that he did kill him with the arrow, he just died a second time during Final Night (cheekily; joking about the weird continuity).

But yeah, Michelangelo's death in Odyssey is far more conclusive than Hal's was in Zero Hour. Goes back to my comment about how Odyssey, even if partially inspired by Hal's arc through the 90s, does the arc much better than the source material (Emerald Twilight, Final Night and Rebirth are alright reads, Zero Hour is confounding, and Day of Judgment is freakin' awful).

And the point you made on Facebook about the Turnstone was a good one. I'd forgotten how it messed with Donnie's mind during The Black Hole Trilogy, so it no doubt contributed to Mikey's descent into madness (though he'd already made a deal with the devil before he even got the Turnstone, so he was already going nuts).
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #1335
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I was always confused about Parallax getting shot by Ollie in Zero Hour (among many things related to Zero Hour).

I always figured he didn't kill him since, you know, Parallax shows up just fine in Final Night to sacrifice himself. But then I read Green Arrow: Quiver by Kevin Smith, and in it Hal tells Ollie that he did kill him with the arrow,
Nah, never. He literally appeared right after Zero Hour #0 only moments later into the pages of Green Lantern #0 unscathed (they were doing #0s that month that weren't really #0s) where Kyle forced Hal to blow up Oa. Actually a really good issue. Riveting.

Though Ollie carrying the grief for thinking he'd killed Hal was a thing for a while until Hal revealed himself to him in the two part "Parallax View," another excellent story not long before Ollie himself died. They kind of have a quasi-redux of their "Hard Travelling Heroes" days (from the 70s, when Hal and Ollie hit the road and traveled the country trying to solve sociological issues for better or worse)... if Hal was mentally messed up. Sort of served as a final reminder to Hal that there wasn't any going back to his old life before the events of "Emerald Knights" (with Parallax Hal teaming with 60s green Hal) and "Final Night."

Quote:
he just died a second time during Final Night
Yeah, that was the only time. Those stories don't read well in trades... there's a lot in between.

Quote:
But yeah, Michelangelo's death in Odyssey is far more conclusive than Hal's was in Zero Hour. Goes back to my comment about how Odyssey, even if partially inspired by Hal's arc through the 90s, does the arc much better than the source material (Emerald Twilight, Final Night and Rebirth are alright reads, Zero Hour is confounding, and Day of Judgment is freakin' awful).
Thanks! And Day of Judgment is awful, I'll agree there. Making Hal the Spectre has always been a pretty strange choice. Personally, I'd have never resurrected him after "Final Night." Pretty chickensh*t and backwards at that point. Hal is the cardboard guy from the 60s who's got a ring who can do anything he wants and blatantly isn't even creative (whose most interesting thing he ever did was become a villain), and he died a hero. Why mess with that? Nostalgia... which kinda sounds like other things going on these days...

Quote:
it no doubt contributed to Mikey's descent into madness (though he'd already made a deal with the devil before he even got the Turnstone, so he was already going nuts).
Null isn't really the Devil, but yeah. And that in itself was a little bit commentary about the Viacom/Nickelodeon sale, and what "The Shogun" might actually simultaneously represent in Reality.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 04-11-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #1336
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Hi everyone,

We're lowering the price for a regular copy of TMNT Odyssey to $35 (for US addresses; +$5 CAN; +$10 INTL). Price includes shipping so if you were waiting to buy one now's a good chance. And no, this is not an April Fools joke.

Some of you have asked me about getting a reading copy. Well, a few copies got damaged in transit and so that provides a few additional purchase options as follows. Let me know if you want any of these damaged books...only limited supplies remain.

- Minor cover corner damage ($5 discount)
- More extensive cover creases ($10 discount)
- More heavily damaged cover and interior pages ($20 discount)

Send me an email to tmntodyssey@hotmail.com with your preference as well as your mailing address. I'll send you a link for payment.

Thanks!
-rich
If I had money on my paypal account, I´d buy one.
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #1337
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
No. Now that everyone has their copy, I think I'll wait a few more weeks and then formally make it available online.
Cool, thanks.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #1338
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNachoT View Post
If I had money on my paypal account, I´d buy one.
"Well, if I had money, tell you what I'd do. I'd go downtown and buy an Odyssey or two..."
-Alan Jackson, but not really

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #1339
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
"Well, if I had money, tell you what I'd do. I'd go downtown and buy an Odyssey or two..."
Best joke of April. Good form.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #1340
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I´ll, but for the moment, my priorities are others stuff.
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote