The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #41
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's almost like people getting themselves so tangled up in revenge/restoring their lost honor that it becomes their undoing is a theme in this series
Old 12-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #42
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
That's the point, though. You don't just talk the guy into giving up. You don't just have him gradually become friendlier and friendlier with the humans (you could, but it wouldn't really fit this story). Him going further and further down this hole that he's dug for himself and going mad with vengeance, only to eventually reach his most desperate point and realize how far he's sunk and managing to get himself out of there.
Except he doesn't seem the type to have some sort of epiphany. He was already pretty far gone, only keeping it together for the sake of his family, and it still didn't stop him from doing shady deals behind their back. Now that Slash gave him tacit approval to wage his war before dying and providing him with the perfect martyr figure... I shudder to even think what he'll do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
It's almost like people getting themselves so tangled up in revenge/restoring their lost honor that it becomes their undoing is a theme in this series
Like Koya. I really like her development in the Leo macro. They say the best way to truly know someone is to fight them, and those two are on their second rematch already... It's also quite possible that there's something more developing between them, which would be awesome on a lot of levels. Leo and Koya have the sort of relationship Raph and Alopex should've had but discarded early on for more cutesy, sappy stuff.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #43
Cloudrunner
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Leo and Koya have the sort of relationship Raph and Alopex should've had but discarded early on for more cutesy, sappy stuff.
I agree, they could've learned to understand each other through a rivalry. It would have been more believable than what we got. I don't have a problem with Raph and Alopex's relationship as it stands now and I think the two of them go well together in what few scenes we get. But the initial turn was rather awkward. Within that Northampton arc is another problem I have with her character in that she seems to very quickly give up any motivation as soon as the moment has passed.

She wanted revenge on Shredder, but as soon as she failed once and joined the turtles, that never comes up again. Even when she's in the Foot headquarters a few feet from him, not even so much as a glance. Then later after she breaks free of Kitsune, gaining some sort of spiritual power in the process, you'd think she'd have some sort of vendetta against the pantheon. But nope, not a word from her, despite multiple chances. In fact she hangs back for no reason while the turtles go and crash Toad Baron's party.

She is in desperate need of some kind of role in the story. Whether it's getting involved with the Mutanimals against Null or helping Raph through his dark path, give me something! Playing second fiddle sidekick to a character who has even less relevance to the story (Nobody) has done her absolutely no favors. And with her being my second favorite side character (next to Hob) in the series, it's frustrating seeing her potential wasted.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #44
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
She is in desperate need of some kind of role in the story. Whether it's getting involved with the Mutanimals against Null or helping Raph through his dark path, give me something! Playing second fiddle sidekick to a character who has even less relevance to the story (Nobody) has done her absolutely no favors. And with her being my second favorite side character (next to Hob) in the series, it's frustrating seeing her potential wasted.
You totally get it! It's like she was only put there as a stand-in for Ninjara, with no other purpose or goals beyond that. And Alopex could be so much more...
Old 12-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #45
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
You totally get it! It's like she was only put there as a stand-in for Ninjara, with no other purpose or goals beyond that. And Alopex could be so much more...
Nah, she was fine until Sophie turned her into a fluffball.

I love most of Sophie's stuff, but "Northampton" was when Alopex became a cute widdle fluffball. She was still vicious and bloodthirsty during "City Fall", her micro-issue, and "Secret History."

Her transition to ally could have worked better if she wasn't drawn so cutesy-tootsy. Ugh.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #46
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post

I love most of Sophie's stuff, but "Northampton" was when Alopex became a cute widdle fluffball. She was still vicious and bloodthirsty during "City Fall", her micro-issue, and "Secret History."

Her transition to ally could have worked better if she wasn't drawn so cutesy-tootsy. Ugh.
I hesitate to blame it on Sophie because that's right around the time when Alopex's primary goal (to turn against Shredder at a key moment as revenge for her family's deaths) was fulfilled. It's hardly a single artist's fault that she became mostly aimless afterwards, and only showed up when an extra fighter was required to flesh out the action. Look at Mikey: silly and cutesy most of the time, but he's a character with a clear-cut purpose. Alopex just needs a new goal and a new motivation post-Shredder, which she hasn't had so far.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:27 AM   #47
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Full preview here.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:59 AM   #48
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Okay, but Kevin's absolutely killing it with his artstyle this time around!

He looks like he's trying to match more of the IDW "brand" of style than using his own (as he has with the special covers and that one issue we never speak of), and it looks pretty amazing.

Also, nice to see a return to Long&Tall Alopex.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:44 AM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hm, was hoping it'd mostly be about Casey/Raph, Alopex/Angel hog a little too much screentime for my liking most of the time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 AM   #50
bushido
Stone Warrior

I noticed that IDW now releases all their previews on tuesday. A bit useless...
Old 12-11-2018, 03:35 AM   #51
Igglet

I agree with Utrommaniac about the art style, I'm absolutely loving everything about how this looks. Angel and Alopex (especially the latter) look ABSOLUTELY badass, it's great.

On the other hand, the way the characters speak feels a bit off, for me at least. I might be wrong, it just seems somewhat weird.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:48 AM   #52
ChosenOne
Banned

Is that a Street Phantom cloak Nobody is wearing?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:17 AM   #53
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:

Quote:
I hesitate to blame it on Sophie because that's right around the time when Alopex's primary goal (to turn against Shredder at a key moment as revenge for her family's deaths) was fulfilled. It's hardly a single artist's fault that she became mostly aimless afterwards, and only showed up when an extra fighter was required to flesh out the action. Look at Mikey: silly and cutesy most of the time, but he's a character with a clear-cut purpose. Alopex just needs a new goal and a new motivation post-Shredder, which she hasn't had so far.
Make Alopex Gruff Again!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 AM   #54
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Make Alopex Gruff Again!
I agree! It's way past time for some literal Fox News!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #55
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hm, was hoping it'd mostly be about Casey/Raph, Alopex/Angel hog a little too much screentime for my liking most of the time.
Same. This really bugs me. I'm much less excited for the issue now, knowing Alopex and Nobody save the day.

I didn't want ANYBODY to save the day. Let Raph break out on his own.

Also, the dialogue was absolutely written by Kevin, wasn't it?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #56
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Jesus... I sort of skimmed over the dialogue and didn't notice until now. I swear, Kevin Eastman is Stan Lee's exact counterpart. Both are comic book legends, both are fond of dated writing, but while Lee injected his with charm and charisma, all Eastman does is make every character sound the same: corny as hell.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #57
Igglet

Quote:
Same. This really bugs me. I'm much less excited for the issue now, knowing Alopex and Nobody save the day.

I didn't want ANYBODY to save the day. Let Raph break out on his own.

Honestly, while that's a pretty good guess, I'm gonna give the writers the benefit of the doubt and say that the story won't be that easy to guess from the get-go.

And yeah, the dialogue is REALLY corny. This issue has SO MUCH potential so I'm praying that the dialogue won't ruin it for me.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #58
bushido
Stone Warrior

Another Dark Knight reference.

Spoiler:

Old 12-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #59
Igglet

How didn't I see that reference the first time I read that comic? That picture from The Dark Knight Returns even used to be my desktop background
Old 12-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #60
CyberCubed
Overlord

Was that "Taser Face" joke in the first line from Guardians of the Galaxy 2?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote