The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think about different skin-colored TMNT?
Doesn't bother me 95 84.07%
It's kind of stupid 12 10.62%
Yeah, it's really stupid 6 5.31%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
Metalhead 2.0
Stone Warrior

I haven't read all the other responses, but I don't remember reading anything in IDW to suggest that the 4 baby turtles all came from the same mother turtle. But I think the important thing to remember is that the mutagen is laced with human DNA, so between the injections being administered in the lab and the vial broken by the Foot they certainly could have come into contact with DNA of humans with varying skin tones leading to the differences in their own.

Last edited by Metalhead 2.0; 07-26-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Metalhead 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #22
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

It always seemed weird to me, but maybe it was an attempt to give parents even more justification for buying four nearly identical toys?

Or to teach kids about respecting everyone regardless of race? Although they made the dorky one the black guy.

I never liked it much. It's best in the 2003 series, I feel.

And if the Turtles really are red eared sliders (I feel like only Murphy said that), they should have greyish green and yellow stripes anyway.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #23
Cipher
Foot Elite

I have absolutely no problem with this, since they already fall pretty far from featuring the distinct features of any real-world turtles, which don't look identical to one another even if overall skin color isn't what separates them.

Personally, I've always thought this would be a fine compromise for keeping the red masks in a full-color comic, if another visual distinction must be had. Really doesn't bother me at all.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:57 AM   #24
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

One of the biggest problems the turtles have had since day one is differentiating between each other. It's something I constantly here, especially from mainstream sources, i.e. parents, movie reviewers, etc. The more variety you can add, the better, in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #25
member_removed
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The thing I always wonder is do we really know that the Turtles were from the same clutch of eggs? I mean they're pet shop turtles. Born and breed on a turtle farm. Can we say with certainty they all came from the same mama slider?
Over the years, I had always been curious to whether they were ninja "brothers" or biological siblings. I think the closest we've come to a direct answer was in the 2007 movie. When Mikey says the monster looks like Donnie’s mom. To which Donnie replies that would make her your mom too. But that's just one of many interpretations of the TMNT.

Today it doesn't bother me, but back in 1990 when I was youngster and collecting the Playmates figures it did bug me. It seemed like a cynical ploy to sell identical figures to our parents.

No, you take the ugly one!

I'll take the ugly one!

Which one's the ugly one?
member_removed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #26
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

i like how there's no "i like/love it" poll option. oh, Andrew.

personally i like the skin colors. i see a lot of talk about logic and realism (and aside from that real turtles actually DO have differing skin and markings, that's a real thing) i don't think there's any ILLOGICAL reason not to have the colors, either. the Turtles become more human when they mutate, they get teeth, they get human eyes, etc. they become humanoid to the point that the only really turtle trait they have is their shell. they're more human than turtle in my opinion, and all humans have visibly different skintones than one another, as opposed to the perhaps more subtle differentiations of real turtles, and even siblings and sometimes twins have complexions that differ from each other. if we're really bringing "science" and genetics into this rather than a purely artistic/design/style standpoint, then it seems more scientific and believable to me that they'd have different complexions.

Last edited by Sophie Campbell; 07-27-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #27
neatoman
Emperor

I find it somewhat disturbing that there are people (or at least one person) who is seriously bothered by the idea of the turtles having different skin colors. I can see the argument against the color coded masks or the belt buckles, since these can be seen as very childish changes, but the color coded masks do help make the turtles easier tell apart so I don't mind it (and the belt buckles have been ignored for about two decades now so who cares?).

The skin colors seems like way too much of a purist thing to complain about however. I mean seriously, making them different shades of green? Why would that bother anyone in their right mind? They're still frickin' green! I mean Jesus Christ, what's the next thing to complain about? The fact that people have started giving them different heights?

Need I point out that there has been far less subtle ways of differentiating the turtles?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Need I point out that there has been far less subtle ways of differentiating the turtles?
All of which unnecessary.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #29
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
All of which unnecessary.
Right, ripping out Raph's eye or turning Don into a giant cyborg is of course overkill. But most people don't share your notion that four visually identical characters is perfectly fine, wheter you like it or not there will always be attempts at making them look different.

So with that considered, aren't you happy that skin colors and color coded masks are what stuck, instead of gamera mutations and chopped off arms?
Hahahaha!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #30
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

You want to go realistic?
Let's go realistic.

Slider markings are specific to an individual, with no two looking exactly the same. Saying that they should all look exactly the same is also akin to the racist:

All [blank] look alike to me.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #31
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

doesnt bother me either way. i'm ok with a little color variation.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #32
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

I've actually seen red eared sliders with differing skin tones. Darkness of the skin in sliders is caused by age. The older one is, usually the darker the tone. This isn't so true for sliders in captivity though. Also, the red ear markings can sometimes fade to an orange or more yellow tone over time.
That being said, differing skin tone due to age wouldn't apply to the TMNT as they were all around the same age.
I do however entertain the thought of red ear slider accurate skin on them. I think if done properly with a top notch colorist it could be beautiful.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #33
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
You want to go realistic?
Let's go realistic.

Slider markings are specific to an individual, with no two looking exactly the same. Saying that they should all look exactly the same is also akin to the racist:

All [blank] look alike to me.
You don't even need to argue that, realism flies out the window when you remember it's a story about baby turtles who touched alien goop and turned into humanoids.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #34
plastroncafe

Quote:
You don't even need to argue that, realism flies out the window when you remember it's a story about baby turtles who touched alien goop and turned into humanoids.
I felt I did in the face of the argument: Red-Eared Sliders have the same skin tone. Realism.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #35
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I think the different skin-colored TMNT that seems to be being pushed as the norm is even more ridiculous and insulting to one's intelligence than that whole matter.

Red-earred sliders don't have different skin colors. And even if there were, if these guys are supposed to be brothers, from the same Mama Turtle...?
I'm with you. It's true RES colors can vary a lot, but within a clutch, the variation is minimal. I'm a big fan of them looking almost identical. I'd be more comfortable with markings distinguishing them, if anything.

What really irritates me is when they are pushed as sea turtles. It makes absolutely no sense.

My biggest frustration is the "they're mutants" excuse, as in "they're mutants, who's to say they they wouldn't look like x,y,z?"

Bollocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 View Post
I do however entertain the thought of red ear slider accurate skin on them. I think if done properly with a top notch colorist it could be beautiful.
Agreed. I doubt that day will ever come. . It would be cool though.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 07-27-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #36
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Right, ripping out Raph's eye or turning Don into a giant cyborg is of course overkill. But most people don't share your notion that four visually identical characters is perfectly fine, wheter you like it or not there will always be attempts at making them look different.

So with that considered, aren't you happy that skin colors and color coded masks are what stuck, instead of gamera mutations and chopped off arms?
I love the way you put that. You have now won this debate, and I yield my former criticisms to this logic.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #37
Bombshell
Thug

I think its completely plausible for the four turtles to have different skin tones. If you look at turtles in a petstore, they all have different markings on them, even in the same species. The yellow stripes are different, even the red markings are different (for RES). Their shells are different and yes, skin tone is different. Pigment is what the specialty breeders look for when picking out what male and female to mate to achieve what color for color mutations.

I always liked the different color skin tone. It gives them individuality outside of their weapons and headbands. They're not the same, just like the petstore turtles are not the same. So in essence, they shouldn't look the same. Even scientific genetic clones have differences from their host animal, and they have identical dna!

Along with the differences every turtle has, throw in some human dna and you've got a huge color pallet to work with. My skin tone is different from my sister's skin tone and we have the same parents. Hers is pinkish while mine is a hint yellow. Its not a far cry to see that four sibling turtles from the same parents (if thats what they are) can have different markings and shades of skin tone.
Bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #38
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Obviously a serious about turtle mutants who battle Ninja clans and aliens should be as scientifically accurate as possible. As such, the four turtles should all look the same to us humans, not be able to hear or speak, and have gigantic penises.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #39
plastroncafe

Turtles aren't deaf.
They have ears and everything.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #40
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Kamikaze View Post
Obviously a serious about turtle mutants who battle Ninja clans and aliens should be as scientifically accurate as possible. As such, the four turtles should all look the same to us humans, not be able to hear or speak, and have gigantic penises.
That video is at most 10% accurate. The penis size is true of some species, not all. Salmonella is an issue as well. That's about it. Snappers, not res, have a worm shaped tongue. RES live 20-30 years, (longer out of captivity) not 200. Their shells can bleed they don't spontaneously bleed.

Also, most city dwelling animals are vectors for disease, not just rats. Humans are pretty high up there too, as are most livestock from factory farms. Proximity is the real problem.

But sure, hahaha...yep, this video is full of hilarious misnomers. Yippee for stupid.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 07-27-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote