The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #1
Coola Yagami
Overlord

New cartoon based on independent comic series 'Ninja Turtles'

There's a new group of heroes about hit the airwaves. Many have not heard of the independent comic book series from Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird about mutated turtles that fight with ninja weapons. The comics are a hit within the independent market but now it's time for them to hit the mainstream.

Peter Laird says 'We want to make a live action movie about our turtles but it's difficult to find a proper studio since they're not as well known. We decided to work with Fred Wolf to make a cartoon series, which I'm sure will treat our characters fairly and in no way come back to bite us.

But befote they could do that they needed a toyline to further warrant a cartoon show, much like He-Man, G.I Joe and Transformers. They were quick to strike a deal with Playmates.

The CEO of Playmates says "We kept the designs as close as we can but the problem was, the turtles all look exactly the same. Even we couldn't tell who was who when reading these things. We decided giving them different colored bandanas and initials on their belts to tell them apart. It'll be cool and trendy and kids will love it!'

David Wise from Fred Wolf had this to say. "We have faith in the toyline but we're still doubtful if kids would accept slow animals as turtles being able to be fast and martial arts fighters. We'll start with a 5 episode run this year, and see how it goes. We'll introduce the characters and basic story. After reading 2 issues of the comics. I'm sure we got a handle on this!

Look for the action figures to hit stores soon. The 5 episode series will air early morning from Monday to Friday. This could possibly end up to be a hit!

When asked to comment on the potential changes to the characters to make them more marketable for kids, co-creator Kevin Eastman had this to say. "Go for it!'

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 12-15-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I can't wait!

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

It is 1987, I am 2 years old. I can't wait!

My 2 year old self would be ecstatic.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

It was Murakami-Wolf-Swenson back in 1987, not Fred Wolf Films
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
sdp
Megan Fox = April

It'd be interesting to see how our jaded selves would've reacted to news as we do now.

Think of all the big news that happened when were kids and didn't understand what was happening. I can already read the clickbait news blog titles

"They're giving colored bandannas to the TMNT"

"New TMNT killer cartoon Street Sharks due out next year"

"Can TMNT's new look help it compete against the X-Men and BTAS?"

"WB buys DC Comics"

"Sony enters the console war against Sega and Nintendo"
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
"Sony enters the console war against Sega and Nintendo"
"lol! Who does Sony think they are? They need to stick to making VHS players!" was the general sentiment back then.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well also remember there was no internet back then. That's why gaming magazines like Nintendo Power were so relevant, back then there was no way of knowing what was coming out or what was going on if you didn't have magazines.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #8
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I'm sorry.

I ... don't understand the purpose of this thread.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:45 AM   #9
dragonside
Hench Mutant

I am not born for 3 years. As I age, by the time I am in Grade 2 (1997), I discover the 90s TMNT movie on VHS, along with the Easter VHS and the Incredible Shrinking turtles.

I happen to like Power rangers too. What is next mutation?
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:23 AM   #10
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

We have a topic about the new carton on Nick TMNT section. Go and post there.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:29 AM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I'm sorry.

I ... don't understand the purpose of this thread.
For FW tmnt fans to have fun reliving the days when the cartoon was announced.

What do you think of FW tmnt? I've only heard you talk about the Nick version.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 12-16-2017 at 02:41 AM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:04 AM   #12
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Also kinda poking fun at how we necroposted the original thread of when Nick first bought the franchise. I'm like 'Well I can go even further back than that!'

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:24 AM   #13
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
For FW tmnt fans to have fun reliving the days when the cartoon was announced.

What do you think of FW tmnt? I've only heard you talk about the Nick version.
I don't really care for it.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #14
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"lol! Who does Sony think they are? They need to stick to making VHS players!" was the general sentiment back then.
That sentiment certainly didn't last so long. The PS1 took the world by storm, and the PS2 even more. Even the PS3, despite losing the "war" to the Wii in terms of units sold... still sold a ton.

I wonder how the world felt when the first Sonic game for a Nintendo system ever was announced. Which was it? Sonic Advance for the GBA?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post

I wonder how the world felt when the first Sonic game for a Nintendo system ever was announced. Which was it? Sonic Advance for the GBA?
I remember the internet very well by that time so that one, in fact any big announcement from 99 and onwards I can recall as well as any big announcements in the last few years,

It was big news but the thing is that news came at the same time Sega announced they went third party, forums everywhere were having meltdowns. I think Sonic Advance and Adventure 2 Battle were announced the same day and came out the same month.

IIRC it all happened the same day, Sega announces a price drop of the Dreamcast to $99 and going third party, it'll still support the dreamcast but will release games for other platforms. Each console would get exclusive games and Sonic went to Nintendo. I still remember that image of Sonic the hedgehog with the dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and X box hovering around it from the press release.

I was ecstatic when I heard the news, I could finally play Sonic on Nintendo my dream had finally come true. Other meltdowns from that era included Zelda Gamecube looking like a cartoon, Resident Evil becoming a Nintendo exclusive franchise, Enix buying Square
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I remember the internet very well by that time so that one, in fact any big announcement from 99 and onwards I can recall as well as any big announcements in the last few years,

It was big news but the thing is that news came at the same time Sega announced they went third party, forums everywhere were having meltdowns. I think Sonic Advance and Adventure 2 Battle were announced the same day and came out the same month.

IIRC it all happened the same day, Sega announces a price drop of the Dreamcast to $99 and going third party, it'll still support the dreamcast but will release games for other platforms. Each console would get exclusive games and Sonic went to Nintendo. I still remember that image of Sonic the hedgehog with the dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and X box hovering around it from the press release.

I was ecstatic when I heard the news, I could finally play Sonic on Nintendo my dream had finally come true. Other meltdowns from that era included Zelda Gamecube looking like a cartoon, Resident Evil becoming a Nintendo exclusive franchise, Enix buying Square
I didn't get internet until 2000-2001. So no idea what forums were like in 1999, but I can imagine it.

Sonic Advance was an OK game, but not as good as the Mega Drive Sonic games were.

Ah the Dreamcast. I remember one day seeing it all over tv and the magazines... and then one day no longer seeing it anywhere. A game I've always wanted to play was Crazy Taxi lol. Perhaps I oughta grab some Sega Dremacast classics off Steam one day?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've been on IGN since 1997 even before they had their boards which started in 2000. Back then it was known as N64.com.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #18
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
"New TMNT killer cartoon Street Sharks due out next year""
I recall thinking the Battletoads and the Toxic Crusaders taking over after TMNT.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
pferreira
Foot Elite

Ah yes good memories and for some turned out very well. (Raises a glass to the FW cartoon).
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote