The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Your honest thoughts on David Wise

Be 100% honest.

I'm thankful to him for writing some of the best FW series episodes, even though he wasn't the one who wrote the Shredderville episode! But I also think he has a huge ego and tries to claim too much credit for "creating" the Turtles as we know them today, which leads me to think he's a bit arrogant.

What about you?

Last edited by Prowler; 01-16-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

I have a very negative opinion of him.

It would be one thing if he was simply a terrible writer, then I wouldn't really care about him beyond thinking his work sucks. What makes it worse is that he's a bad writer who thinks rewriting (already sold) scripts to fit unrelated shows is perfectly fine because his audience are children. As a student of creative writing and drama, that really shows how little passion and respect he has for the craft and the audience. What's even worse than that is his willingness to steal credit and conjure up a narrative in which he's essentially the creator of TMNT, despite that being objectively wrong and there being conflicting stories about how the show's alterations came about.

I guess the only positive thing I can say about him is that the episodes of Fred Wolf he wrote are the least boring, even if they are complete nonsense taken from other shows.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I don’t know much about him tbh. I guess I neither like nor dislike him. I enjoyed most of the episodes he wrote for the Fred Wolf series. Him recycling scripts doesn’t bother me, as I never watched any other shows he was involved with. He does come off as a bit arrogant in interviews alright, though maybe he’s just being sarcastic.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-16-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I have a very negative opinion of him.

It would be one thing if he was simply a terrible writer, then I wouldn't really care about him beyond thinking his work sucks. What makes it worse is that he's a bad writer who thinks rewriting (already sold) scripts to fit unrelated shows is perfectly fine because his audience are children. As a student of creative writing and drama, that really shows how little passion and respect he has for the craft and the audience. What's even worse than that is his willingness to steal credit and conjure up a narrative in which he's essentially the creator of TMNT, despite that being objectively wrong and there being conflicting stories about how the show's alterations came about.

I guess the only positive thing I can say about him is that the episodes of Fred Wolf he wrote are the least boring, even if they are complete nonsense taken from other shows.
He sure loved to recycle scripts. I can see why that would annoy people who watched other shows written by him.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

He's fairly pompous, responsible for creating and popularizing pretty much all the things I don't like in TMNT (which isn't necessarily a slight against him... if he didn't, someone else would've) and getting butt-hurt when he doesn't get enough credit.

Also, a pretty staunch liberal.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I don't care about him personally at all.

Enjoy the episodes he wrote though immensely, and I thank him for helping make the 80s tmnt show into the show I love today.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He's fairly pompous, responsible for creating and popularizing pretty much all the things I don't like in TMNT (which isn't necessarily a slight against him... if he didn't, someone else would've) and getting butt-hurt when he doesn't get enough credit.

Also, a pretty staunch liberal.
How do you even know that LMAO. I've literally only read things he said in relation TMNT. Have no idea what he thinks about other issues, including that big one, nor do I care much tbh.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
How do you even know that LMAO. I've literally only read things he said in relation TMNT. Have no idea what he thinks about other issues, including that big one, nor do I care much tbh.
He's one of those people who enjoys posting daily "Look at the awful thing Trump just said today!"/"ANY DAY NOW!" kind of stuff over social media.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
He's one of those people who enjoys posting daily "Look at the awful thing Trump just said today!"/"ANY DAY NOW!" kind of stuff over social media.
Tbh that kinda stuff makes you look cool nowadays, so I'm not surprised that celebrities and other people with some notoriety might do that just to get a few more fans.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
So... Like MovieBob except he used to have an audience of children who only payed attention because they didn't yet understand his content was crap?

... Scratch that, he's exactly like MovieBob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Tbh that kinda stuff makes you look cool nowadays, so I'm not surprised that celebrities and other people with some notoriety might do that just to get a few more fans.
Not a Trump supporter by any means, but the criticism of Trump and the effort to "take him down" is rather tired. Elections are starting up next year, so he could very well not be the president around this time in two years.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 01-16-2019 at 02:03 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Then why can't it be left that he's the easily butthurt, egotistical type, rather than throwing the word "liberal" in there as if it's supposed to explain everything. (edit: He sound more like someone who grew up a spoiled brat.)

Personally, I never knew much about him either as I don't tend to look all that far into the people behind this stuff, but going by what neatoman said... wow. Never fails to amaze me how anyone can have zero conscious. (Honestly, based on some similar personality traits you'd think he'd LIKE Trump.)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Not a Trump supporter by any means, but the criticism of Trump and the effort to "take him down" is rather tired. Elections are starting up next year, so he could very well not be the president around this time in two years.
It's true. Elizabeth Warren could win.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Well, how did a thread about David Wise turn into politics? best we go back to David Wise, the man himself, and his contributions, whether good or bad, to TMNT.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Jephael

Back to David Wise, Jephael interviewed him on 10 December 2010 and published it on his fansite.

http://www.jephael.com/cartoon.shtml
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I don't know much about him as a person, but I do know he likes to take credit for TMNT's success. Yet Eastman and Laird did come up with concepts that are introduced in the 1987 cartoon like henchmutants Bebop and Rocksteady and robotic foot soldiers yet what was David Wise original? Dimension X, rock soldiers maybe the Turtle Van? I love what he did as a great innovator no matter what he did create or was simply given. He made gold out of it.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:24 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Back to David Wise, Jephael interviewed him on 10 December 2010 and published it on his fansite.

http://www.jephael.com/cartoon.shtml
We interviewed him in 2013 for the Shellshocked Podcast. Here.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #17
Shinigami
Thug

I sort of cringe when I hear him talk. He gives himself a lot of credit for stuff he probably didn’t decide on or make up.
Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #18
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

It must have been embarassing for him to hear the fans remember so much more about his own works than he does.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:08 PM   #19
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

And what do you think of the Batman TAS episodes he wrote?
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 PM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

I've hardly ever thought about him much at all, but I've rolled my eyes at a few interviews I've read. More recently I've seen him say some downright laughable things on Andrew's FB page, which makes me very glad I've never spoken to him myself.

To be perfectly honest he seems like a giant tw*t. F*ck 'em.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote