The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #321
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
She was one of the best things about those movies.

Wha...

Yeah, not so much from this demographic vantage point... But here, you guys that like her can have a mildly bewildered gif of her.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #322
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
https://i.imgur.com/FQPh9OU.gif

Wha...

https://i.imgur.com/tfIOKBn.gif

Yeah, not so much from this demographic vantage point... But here, you guys that like her can have a mildly bewildered gif of her.
A female actress can either act or she can't. Boil April O'Neil down to simplified terms, (historically) white brunette or redhead who wears yellow, meets the Turtles, and usually is a reporter. Boom.

Cast Megan Fox or Anna Kendrick, you're still mostly on target.

As opposed to six-feet-tall abominations lumbering around being bulletproof, wearing pants, and demutating themselves into humans while learning ninjitsu from a book.

THAT is flawed at the basic level. So yeah... complain and gripe about a lousy actress who can't close her mouth, or focus on the stuff that actually matters as far as the MAIN CHARACTERS and BASIC CONCEPT are concerned.

That was my point. Not a defense of Megan, but a question as to why you would even get past the bigger issues to focus on that in the first place.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:19 PM   #323
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
A female actress can either act or she can't. Boil April O'Neil down to simplified terms, (historically) white brunette or redhead who wears yellow, meets the Turtles, and usually is a reporter. Boom.

Cast Megan Fox or Anna Kendrick, you're still mostly on target.

As opposed to six-feet-tall abominations lumbering around being bulletproof, wearing pants, and demutating themselves into humans while learning ninjitsu from a book.

THAT is flawed at the basic level. So yeah... complain and gripe about a lousy actress who can't close her mouth, or focus on the stuff that actually matters as far as the MAIN CHARACTERS and BASIC CONCEPT are concerned.

That was my point. Not a defense of Megan, but a question as to why you would even get past the bigger issues to focus on that in the first place.
What if they cast a black actress for April in the reboot? Given that the current April in the new series is black now.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #324
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Because it's all collectively bad? And one bad thing doesn't make another less bad?

Besides... I admit bias and despite flaws my fave Turtle is the best part of the whole thing, to me. Way better than not-April. And most other elements of the film. (Those pants are cute though dammit, even if it isn't the norm. lol)
Old 01-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #325
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
What if they cast a black actress for April in the reboot? Given that the current April in the new series is black now.
I wouldn't care. I always liked the idea of a black April and kinda got on the bandwagon.

But not Rise April. Screw that. Anything Rise is terrible. That's my opinion, here I stand and I shall not be moved.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #326
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

How to let me know you understand the characters?

Leonardo: is a perfectionist who always strives to do the right thing. But he is a teenager who while the most mature and well adjusted of the 4 is still prone to taking on more than he can handle, is actually a geek and dweeb sometimes. Don't make him too uptight something I see PLENTY of writers do. He has anger problems too which only 2k3 and the comics really showcased. Raph isn't the only Turtle he strikes off on his own. it may take him longer to get to that point but he does do it they never showcased the Leonardo who thinks he knows more than Splinter just the one that is to his Bros.

Donatello: The average person can tell you that Donatello is the smart one? But can they tell you that he's short tempered? Altruistic? Anti-social? Sullen? While he is not to the extent of Raph, Don is often on his own beat of the drum finding his life outside of his hobby distractions ultimately. He isn't without his compassion or morals but for him everything has a purpose and meaning and things that don't? Are illogical. In movie's he's usually this wimpy nerd guy who chimes in every now and then but until recent cartoons and comic versions (any) Donnie has quite the backbone and is rather coldblooded but at the same time not seeking a fight if it can be avoided. If I said Donatello was a pacifist to a casual movie goer they would just assumed that made sense given the base knowledge of the guy.

Raphael: Ugh we get it he's the angry one! But there is more to Raph then just his anger and sarcastic wit. He likes to pal around with Mikey, he goofs off sometimes too because he isn't Leonardo but angry Raph isn't 100% down for training and rather find meanings in life or achieve happiness but unlike Mikey who is optimistic or Donnie who finds meaning through science Raph just wants happiness like normal people (something OOTS tried to touch on and failed miserably) but he is a harsh critic on himself as he faces a reality that he is different and will never be truly accepted. Often why him finding love out of all the Turtles tend to work more for his character. (For the record not saying he is the only Turtle to find love nor should he be the only one) He isn't battle hungry like the media makes him out to be in fact I would say he is just easy to spur into a fight.

Michelangelo: Mike. Mike, Mike, Mike someday you won't just be "Funny one" Maybe we can get the thoughtful side, the introspective side, the Michelangelo where he is struggling to stay upbeat, or the one who blows up at his brothers because "life sucks but doesn't mean you have to make it worse?" The Michelangelo who is a bit of an asshole and his party nature sometimes is a bad thing. The Michelangelo who is clever and his jokes stem from how clever he is and not "lol I'm so random" TMNT 3 despite not being very good is a good character movie for Mikey as he does express his selfish desires for wanting a better life for himself. Lying to Mitsu to live it up in Japan where he is more socially accepted. Despite knowing he has to go back delays the others then outfight admits he doesn't want to go in the end. Was willing to abandon Mitsu because he was lied to and found out he was being used to beat the Feudal Lord realizing that he is loved but not in the way he wants.

Some of this or something that isn't more of the same would be nice.

Last edited by Technogeek29; 01-17-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Technogeek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #327
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Well I guess they can then blame racism when the film fails.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #328
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It'd be a way for them to insulate the movie from criticism. If it becomes an "important" movie.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #329
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Judith Hoag was 22 when she did TMNT (1990)!
22?! I thought she was around 30.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #330
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I kinda wish we could just get Judith Hoag back in the role. She still looks relatively youthful for her age, she could still do it. (And come on, after the last film cut out her cameo... How rude.)

Not entirely sure I'd agree that Leo necessarily has "anger issues," so to speak, I mean everyone gets mad now and then, that's life, but he's certainly the type to keep it bottled up and eventually the pressure is going to break the seal. Typical very self controlled type; people who scare others on the occasion it happens because they're just not used to this person expressing emotions so openly and, since it built up over god knows how long, probably seemingly kind of ferociously; very briefly turning into a bull in a china shop.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-16-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #331
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
22?! I thought she was around 30.
Nope! Technically probably 21 when they were actually filming it.

Quote:
I kinda wish we could just get Judith Hoag back in the role. She still looks relatively youthful for her age, she could still do it. (And come on, after the last film cut out her cameo... How rude.
She should be thanking them for cutting her out. And it wasn't like they took away whatever money they paid her to do the part.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #332
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
People who harp on Megan Fox in the Platinum Dunes movies really need to take a break.

She was one of the best things about those movies. Which is not saying much at all. The movies were terrible and did a disservice to the four Turtles, but sure, harp on the human character.

If we could get a movie with great Turtles and a great story and intelligent writing, and it had a terrible April, we'd still be lightyears ahead and getting far more than we deserve.
I've said this before but I didn't think Fox was a bad choice. Granted, it doesn't help that she's somehow tied to movies that are known for bad direction or typecasting her. That I thought was always an unfortunate stigma against her. The fear of her being April was due to her portrayal in Bay's TF films. But everyone did terrible in those films due to those hacks.

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/tfIOKBn.gif

I'm awaiting for someone to tell me to speak for myself but let's be honest, she is really attractive and a lot of us wouldn't be against this had Bay not been involved.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 01-16-2019 at 09:49 PM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #333
Sumac
Banned

Fox was the least problem of the Bay-Turtles.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #334
Leo656
The Franchise

Galactus:

"The Return of Barry Allen" from 1992 (I think) isn't just the greatest Flash story ever told, it should easily make any objective comic book fan's Top 10, even if they don't have any preexisting affection for the character. That story is like "Flash Crack"; one hit, and the average reader goes from "Who Cares about Flash?" to "Woah, Wally West is amazing, I need the entire Mark Waid run." The only reason it isn't more oft-remembered is because of timing, and marketing; it was released just as the Death of Superman story was starting up, so people's attention was being directed elsewhere, but also, the whole "Stories as EVENTS" trend was still about a year away. Otherwise, it would be gushed over at least as much as, say, "Kingdom Come."

A truly heartbreaking, poignant, and ultimately inspiring tale about the power our father figures hold over us, our inherent fear of ever disappointing them - or, god forbid, replacing them - the pressures of trying to live up to an impossible legacy, the fear that the ones we love and revere might not actually be good people after all, coping with loss, what happens when every nightmare you've ever had comes true at once, and finally, what it takes to become not just a Hero, but a Man. There's so many universal themes explored over 6 issues or so that anyone who isn't moved even a little bit probably feels nothing ever in general.

I see your larger point, but I have to take umbrage with the idea that no "random Flash story" could conceivably land on a Top 10 list, and especially that it would rank behind any TMNT comics story on said list. I may underrate the TMNT comics in general, but again, I swear I have never once read a TMNT story that was anywhere near that level. I definitely think someone CAN create one, and am mostly annoyed that nobody has or wants to try, but I don't think it's happened yet.

I'm open to a chat about that, since I haven't read every TMNT comic, and likewise, most TMNT fans haven't read the aforementioned Flash story. So I'm actually curious: If someone who has done the homework can convince me that a TMNT comic exists that is on par with "Return of Barry Allen", I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing which one(s) and why. Not saying it isn't possible, just saying I've never read it yet.

C'mon Andrew, this assignment is mostly for you, buddy. Point me in the right direction, or at least give me some food for thought.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:05 AM   #335
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It'd be a way for them to insulate the movie from criticism. If it becomes an "important" movie.
Absolute necessity these days. It's more-or-less a studio life insurance policy.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #336
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Someone brought this up on another forum but now I see it.

Jon Bernthal as Casey Jones
Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #337
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Someone brought this up on another forum but now I see it.

Jon Bernthal as Casey Jones
A little old, I think, but I'd be down for it. He's far too good for the role, though.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #338
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Aw come on, lets be fair here, if we had to keep Megan Fox then we keep Stephen Amell for the exact same reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I'm awaiting for someone to tell me to speak for myself but let's be honest, she is really attractive and a lot of us wouldn't be against this had Bay not been involved.
Hey, you guys are free to your own opinions. I'm not a guy, so what can I say, I mostly just see a dull, cookie cutter actress who barely even tried to act the part.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #339
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'm open to a chat about that, since I haven't read every TMNT comic, and likewise, most TMNT fans haven't read the aforementioned Flash story. So I'm actually curious: If someone who has done the homework can convince me that a TMNT comic exists that is on par with "Return of Barry Allen", I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing which one(s) and why. Not saying it isn't possible, just saying I've never read it yet.

C'mon Andrew, this assignment is mostly for you, buddy. Point me in the right direction, or at least give me some food for thought.
I've never read that Flash story. But you can imagine the Mirage stories I'd point you to.

Bernthal as Casey Jones? lol... yeah, he doesn't need that kind of role anymore and he's too old now. I met him a little bit ago and what an awesome guy, though.

And yeah, everyone gets so worked up about Megan Fox when she is literally the least of the problems in the Bay "films." Weird! SAD!
Old 01-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #340
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

You guys also want a better Casey, also weird and SAD!

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence