The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #441
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentos View Post
Name recognition is probably a factor. It's a lot easier to sell people on a miniseries called "Turtles in Time" than a book about bit players like the Mutanimals.

(To be perfectly honest I wouldn't be surprised if the art was a contributing factor, but everyone here seems to love Andy Kuhn's art so I might be in the minority there.)
No, my wife read Mutanimals last night and was shocked at the rough quality of the art. She also pointed out that when Jillian gets punched by Lindsey, she looks EXACTLY like a Weeping Angel.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:05 AM   #442
CyberCubed
Overlord

Isn't Mutanimals brand recognition though?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #443
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
No. Mutanimals is still an obscure brand. It's gaining a little more recognition thanks to IDW and the Nick cartoon, but other than that, Mutanimals was only limited to a lesser known branch of TMNT comics (themselves not as well known to the general populace).

But this must change. Lead us to fame and mutant freedom, Old Hob!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #444
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Hahahaha, what? Seriously? Why would the Mutanimals, a revival of a comic that was canceled in the 90's before it even reached ten issues, have any brand recognisability?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #445
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Hahahaha, what? Seriously? Why would the Mutanimals, a revival of a comic that was canceled in the 90's before it even reached ten issues, have any brand recognisability?
An iteration of self-declared 'Mighty Mutanimals' have recently appeared in the Nick series, so there might be *a little* more recognition from that. But I think the major factor this mini didn't sell as well is plain and simple - no turtles. There's probably scores of pseudo-turtlefans out there who'll only buy a book if they see that iconic image of a bandana-clad mutant turtle on the cover.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #446
ToTheNines
[sic]

June numbers:
155. TMNT Casey & April #1 - 12,301
202. Mutanimals #4 - 8,492
250. New Animated Adventures #24 - 6,101
253. New Animated Adventures #23 - 6,026

Last edited by ToTheNines; 08-11-2015 at 05:24 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #447
ToTheNines
[sic]

July sales:
121. TMNT #48 - 21,106
134. TMNT #47 - 19,393
209. TMNT Casey & April #2 - 9,714

Casey April had an asterisk with this note:

Quote:
Items marked with asterisks[*] had their reported orders slightly reduced due to returnability

And just a non professional observation... Green Lantern/Star Trek #1 sold 64,000 copies. So since TMNT sells better than Star Trek and Batman sells better than Green Lantern, I could see that crossover being a top 15, maybe even top 10 book when it comes out.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 08-11-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #448
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah the Batman crossover is sure to sell well especially since DC is publishing it themselves and will likely market the hell out of it.

It looks like April/Casey isn't selling much better than Mutanimals though, I wonder if the secondary mini's just aren't selling well anymore. I know Bobby says they have another mini planned after the Batman crossover, but I'm going to assume we're going to see a lot less of them in the future if sales aren't good enough to support them anymore.

If not I guess the main ongoing won't have a companion book anymore come late 2016.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #449
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
July sales:
121. TMNT #48 - 21,106
134. TMNT #47 - 19,393
209. TMNT Casey & April #2 - 9,714

Casey April had an asterisk with this note

And just a non professional observation... Green Lantern/Star Trek sold 64,000 copies. So since TMNT sells better than Star Trek and Batman sells better than Green Lantern, I could see that crossover being a top 15, maybe even top 10 book when it comes out.
People were returning the comic?

Also, its nice to see TMNT going up by a significant amount with each issues. This is a great arc and its pulling people in!

I agree with the Batman crossover. Not only are Batman, TMNT, and general comic readers going to pick it up, but lots of non-readers are sure to grab to for the sheer hype.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #450
Wentos
Foot Soldier

Quote:
It looks like April/Casey isn't selling much better than Mutanimals though, I wonder if the secondary mini's just aren't selling well anymore. I know Bobby says they have another mini planned after the Batman crossover, but I'm going to assume we're going to see a lot less of them in the future if sales aren't good enough to support them anymore.

If not I guess the main ongoing won't have a companion book anymore come late 2016.
TBH I've lost interest in them myself. The micros were cool when they gave us miniature origin stories and filled in story gaps during City Fall, but the miniseries that don't feature the turtles drag on a bit too long.

What I'd really love to see are miniseries that spotlight each individual turtle.

- Release the Nick show on blu-ray
- Release the 4kids series in a complete series or season sets

Only then will we be satisfied.
Wentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:30 PM   #451
CyberCubed
Overlord

I loved the Mutanimals mini actually, and it was nice to see those characters get some more screentime. I don't think TMNT-less mini's are the reason they aren't selling, because there's still important story elements in them that affect the main story.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:31 PM   #452
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentos View Post
TBH I've lost interest in them myself. The micros were cool when they gave us miniature origin stories and filled in story gaps during City Fall, but the miniseries that don't feature the turtles drag on a bit too long.

What I'd really love to see are miniseries that spotlight each individual turtle.
I agree the micros become irrelavent when the don't contribute to the on going. Even though the April and Casey Micro have not directly contributed to the story so far, i bet they it will at the end.

Also nice to see the on going with strong numbers!!!!!
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #453
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

We're seeing the results of the whole "death of Donatello" hype. I wonder what the drop-off is going to be in the months ahead. Though of course I'd love to see the numbers keep increasing instead.

As far as the mini-series go... Casey & April hasn't been great, frankly. I wouldn't be buying it if it wasn't canon, and I'm just reading it in hopes of info on the Pantheon. The comic shop I go to isn't even snagging any copies of that mini-series except the one I requested in my box. Mutanimals was a lot of fun, but I don't expect those without a background in the Archie books to have cared as much. The Batman crossover will probably move plenty of units... which meh, I'm not looking forward to it because it feels like a bad fit to me and it sounds like the DC writers are in charge of it (and DC, blech), but whatever. I wouldn't be surprised to see the numbers go up again if they do another turtle-focused mini-series.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:26 AM   #454
Mormegil
Thug

I think people judged the mutanimals micro without even looking to see what it was about or trying the first issue. It was good because it added a lot of support information for the main series.

I've never read any of the archie stuff and don't know anything about it, other than what i've read around here, and it might be my favorite micro series yet. It helps that i really like Slash in this series.
Mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:50 AM   #455
CyberCubed
Overlord

All the micros have continuity that tie into the main series which makes skipping them rather ridiculous especially if you enjoy IDW's universe. You really miss out on a lot if you don't read them.

I imagine though a lot of casuals who aren't big TMNT fans don't care about micros though because its another comic on their pull list. So that might be the reason for their decline in sales.

Hopefully after the Batman crossover the next micro is a big 4-part event similar to "Secret History of the Foot Clan" which was the best mini hands down.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #456
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
All the micros have continuity that tie into the main series which makes skipping them rather ridiculous especially if you enjoy IDW's universe. You really miss out on a lot if you don't read them.

I imagine though a lot of casuals who aren't big TMNT fans don't care about micros though because its another comic on their pull list. So that might be the reason for their decline in sales.

Hopefully after the Batman crossover the next micro is a big 4-part event similar to "Secret History of the Foot Clan" which was the best mini hands down.
Wish I shared the love that everyone has of Secret History of the Foot, especially so I could pick up the gorgeous slipcase edition. Unfortunately I found the story dull and lacking in character development. The art is nice but that can't save it for me.

What attracts you to this story?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #457
ToTheNines
[sic]

#1 is one of my favorite TMNT comics ever, but it ended up being kind of anti climactic, I thought.

I think they nailed everything in Japan, but the present day stuff came to an abrupt end. I thought it was pretty lame that Splinter just burned the book.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #458
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

There have been a couple of IDW's TMNT releases I did not care for rhe Lovecraft creature 2 parter and I could not get interested in SHotFC . The bloody Fuedal Japan and reincarnation stuff was not for me. Aside from that only half a dozen issues would I grade a "C" to and as of issue 15? Its been atworse a base hit if not a homerun.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #459
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
#1 is one of my favorite TMNT comics ever, but it ended up being kind of anti climactic, I thought.

I think they nailed everything in Japan, but the present day stuff came to an abrupt end. I thought it was pretty lame that Splinter just burned the book.
I agree. The arc overal was great. Secret history of the foot clan is actually my favorite TMNT book/arc from this series. Definitely top 5 for me in all of TMNT comics.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #460
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
The bloody Fuedal Japan and reincarnation stuff was not for me. .
The Feudal Japan backstory was the whole point and why it was good. The car chase on the highway with Shredder fighting Splinter again (and I believe that was only the second Shredder fight in the series after #11-13 at the time), was also a highlight.

Tags
comic discussion