The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Shredder armor did you like more?
2014 armor 12 48.00%
2016 armor 13 52.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2017, 02:45 AM   #1
Shellington
Foot Soldier

Which Shredder armor did you like more?

2014 suit

2016 suit

One was too bulky, and the other was too skinny.

However despite its issues (a superhuman suit for superhuman turtles) I thought the 2014 suit was really badass with its metal knives.
"And we're teenagers." Mikey, the Teenager
Shellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I liked the 2016 armor much more. Its a shame Shredder was so downplayed in the film however, and he only wore his mask for a few seconds.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 03:12 AM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

I will admit that while the second one is less ridiculous, the first made more sense given this incarnation. If the Turtles were made into bullet proof hulks capable of punching a container so hard it tumbles quite a distance, then it makes sense for Shredder to wear armor that puts him on their level. Maybe if he wore it in the secend one, maybe he would actually have been able to defend himself instead of being flash frozen?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Prefer the second. Minus the helmet; prob would have been a little better had it not just been all one color. Too bad they did so little with Shredder.

The robo armor is interesting, but eh, I prefer not for Shredder.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #5
ToTheNines
[sic]

It's like asking which of my bouts with strep throat was my favorite.

Both = ass.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I dunno, I kinda dug the outfit in the sequel, but we didn't get to see enough of him all decked out. Would've been nice to see him have another fight with Splinter and/or the Turtles.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Neither armor is good as Shredder- but the 2014 armor would make a perfect chrome dome.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Both were absolutely terrible designs, and I hate both. But between the two, I'd say I hate the 2016 one slightly less, as it's not full on crap-Transformers-esque.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #9
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I think the 2016 armor was better, cause the 2014 version was too busy, It had too much stuff all over it, plus the suit itself was fully CGI.

The 2016 version was more slim down, and gives the actor better mobility.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #10
Galactus
Foot Elite

Both are bad but if I had to choose I'd go with the 2014.

Sure, the 2014 movie completely overdid it with blades upon blades but then after the negative reception they thought - hey if people thought we had too many blades then how about NO blades.

If he had the usual forearm, leg and shoulder gauntlets with the usual number of blades that the character normally is depicted with it would have been better. I suppose if he had been mecha-armored like the previous movie there might have been a turtle v Shredder battle but with movie magic the character can be as capable as the creators want regardless if it makes any kind of sense. I imagine the the movie was so stuffed with characters and plots with limited time and budget putting the character on ice was probably the only way to resolve that quickly. Plus I've said before how the movie apes The Avengers, it's possible the writers thought they had their own "puny god" moment with Kra(a)ng freezing Shredder, except while they fill similar roles in the respective movies Loki's appeal was never that he was a physical threat and even then he was able to get a few licks in before he went out like a punk, not-quite-Saki didn't even get that.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

He had weapon blades at least... but for like six seconds. Agree he really needed the gauntlet blades though.

It's terrible, he was just barely in this film to the point that I kinda didn't even notice they were missing. Like he was just wearing his 'casual' Shredder gear and never had the chance or reason to gear up with armor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
The 2016 version was more slim down, and gives the actor better mobility.
Not that he needed it. Most action he got in this one was escaping from a prison truck. (Although...CGI suits don't exactly have any mobility issues either. )
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
Shark_Blade
Emperor

2016 doesn't even have him as a boss battle, same thing that happened in Secret of the Ooze.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Are they both terrible? Yes.

Is the 2016 armor better objectively? Also yes. Not sure the leather is practical, though.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #14
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

I picked the 2016 armor because as others have said, there was too much going on with the first. But it was necessary because of the turtles.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #15
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

To me one of the things that stood out in the 2014 film was how intimidating The Shredder felt. Part of that for me was the suit and especially the helmet. He just looked evil in it and he looked like he couldn't lose during the fight scenes. Was it a bit too big and have weird flying blades, yes but I still liked it for the most part.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #16
Powder
So tired of this place

Neither is a good fit for Shredder as we know him, one's too much, one's too little. Needs a happy medium. But as far as general "coolness" goes, the first one is pretty wild. With respect to OOTS, for general Oroku Saki garb, the leather get-up is just fine, definitely works. But adding a cheesy helmet to it & calling it a day? Nah.

I voted 2014, but like I said, they're both fundamentally "wrong" one way or another. You could do something similar to either of 'em though, with a little bit of work.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #17
ToTheNines
[sic]

A better helmet and some bladed shoulder pads would have went a long way with Tee Shredder.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #18
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Both were absolutely terrible designs, and I hate both. But between the two, I'd say I hate the 2016 one slightly less, as it's not full on crap-Transformers-esque.
Basically this^^

2014 was not Shredder but more a twilight zone mashup of Chrome dome and a steroid infused mini transformer.

2016 was not Shredder either and not really armor... Weird that went so far from the other design here. Obviously the designers don't have a clue...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #19
Myko
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Neither is a good fit for Shredder as we know him, one's too much, one's too little. Needs a happy medium. But as far as general "coolness" goes, the first one is pretty wild. With respect to OOTS, for general Oroku Saki garb, the leather get-up is just fine, definitely works. But adding a cheesy helmet to it & calling it a day? Nah.

I voted 2014, but like I said, they're both fundamentally "wrong" one way or another. You could do something similar to either of 'em though, with a little bit of work.
I agree with this and voted 2014. It's a terrible Shredder but at least it looks a little cool in its over the top-ness. The OOTS one is just dull beyond belief, and the only actual bladed parts, the gauntlet and the helmet, have the same problems as the 2014 suit; way over-designed.
Myko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:14 AM   #20
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
they are both really awful!

why could he not have looked like this?