The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 06-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #21
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Well, it seems that the cover art has been changed (and Dave Sim's credit removed):
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 11:04 AM   #22
elgarlic
Mouser

I've just received my copy of the Compendium vol 2. And it was... almost successful. It's no surprise that it's missing the Veitch issues. I don't see that ever changing in reprints (we will see about Howarth in vol 3).

On the plus side, it's nice to see that so many issues are being reprinted in black and white for the first time in ages/ever. From what I've seen, these issues are generally looking great.

The downside is that Tales #6 seems to be missing its duotones/shading. It looks quite dull as a result. In fact, they even used one of these bland panels for the book's cover. I guess they felt proud or overly honest about that. If any issue had to lose its shading, this one was perhaps on the less impressive side to start (no issue had to lose its shading).

I had long been wondering how they would handle #33. They've been botching this issue in reprints for years. At some point they decided to remove Corben's color and use flat color with lazy photoshop gradients instead. Well, here we get neither. B&W inks only. This could have been the chance to get it right, but I suppose it's better than what they did last time
Spoiler:

But hey, The Ring is printed in full color. So that's nice, but makes the decision for #33 even more baffling.
elgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:08 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord

So the only skipped issues are #8, and Rick Veitch's issues (Sky highway and the River trilogy?) so far?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 04:23 PM   #24
elgarlic
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So the only skipped issues are #8, and Rick Veitch's issues (Sky highway and the River trilogy?) so far?
Yeah, so far, with #41 as the only other one that will likely get skipped.

#8 is of course the biggest bummer, being a regression from previous collections. I wonder if they had waited a little longer, maybe starting with vol 3 after Dave gave them the thumbs down for #8, it would have worked out once distanced from the Kickstarter.

I've noticed that Ultimate Collection vol 2 has sold out everywhere. Panic buying, or actually going out of print?
Old 10-04-2023, 06:18 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

I wonder how far this will go. The next one should finish Vol. 1, but I would like to see Vol. 2 and Image get this treatment. And eventually Vol. 4 if we're really lucky since that's never been collected.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:22 PM   #26
elgarlic
Mouser

Quote:
I wonder how far this will go. The next one should finish Vol. 1, but I would like to see Vol. 2 and Image get this treatment. And eventually Vol. 4 if we're really lucky since that's never been collected.
I'd like for it to continue, especially for vol 4 of course. But I don't think there is much chance of vol 2 having its original color, or to get the Image issues in their original b&w.

Last edited by elgarlic; 10-04-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:49 PM   #27
TurtleGurkle
Mouser

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...rd-jim-lawson/

Compendium 3 announced - nice surprise it has #41 in there since I think that has been skipped before. Unfortunately it says "final" compendium, so not much hope of volume 2 in this format.

About Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Compendium, Vol. 3

Complete your journey following the early exploits of the TMNT in this collection of stories from the original Mirage comics!

This third and final compendium completes Mirage’s first run of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics, collecting issues #38–62. Included are stories by contributors Rich Hedden, Tom McWeeney, Matt Howarth, Rick McCollum, Bill Anderson, Paul Jenkins, A.C. Farley, Rick Arthur, Dan Berger, and Michael Dooney.

The volume concludes with “Shades of Gray” and the 13-part epic “City at War” that concludes the series by co-creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird with Jim Lawson.
TurtleGurkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:41 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Volume 2 could come out under a different name. It would feel weird to re-release Vol. 1 and just stop there.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:13 AM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Volume 2 could come out under a different name. It would feel weird to re-release Vol. 1 and just stop there.
Unless sales bottomed out.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 06:50 AM   #30
Chaotix12345
Stone Warrior

Arrow

Judging by the TMNT Adventures Omnibus that's already been listed for March 2025, Archie might be IDW's next target for these large-scale collections.
Chaotix12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:01 AM   #31
TurtleGurkle
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix12345 View Post
Judging by the TMNT Adventures Omnibus that's already been listed for March 2025, Archie might be IDW's next target for these large-scale collections.
That's my hope - Archie needs this type of collection!
Old 01-05-2024, 03:30 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

If they skip the whole middle eastern arc again then it won't be worth it. I don't see why they can't just cut that 1 page of Mohammed instead of you know, skipping 5 issues that they did with the normal TPB's.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:17 PM   #33
TurtleGurkle
Mouser

Quote:
If they skip the whole middle eastern arc again then it won't be worth it. I don't see why they can't just cut that 1 page of Mohammed instead of you know, skipping 5 issues that they did with the normal TPB's.
It's better than nothing given how expensive the Archie TPBs and back issues are now. Skipped issues are just something we have to live with as TMNT fans I guess.

Although the description for the Adventures Omni did say it would collect everything!
Old 01-05-2024, 11:22 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Also, I'm assuming we can assume there will still be whole issues worth of pages missing the original duotones again?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 12:14 PM   #35
Demon-Alukard
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Also, I'm assuming we can assume there will still be whole issues worth of pages missing the original duotones again?
As I have original Mirage files of Vol.1, I can say issues 49 and 53 are completely without duoshades. And until IDW decides to re-scan them from long published copies, nothing will change.

Last edited by Demon-Alukard; 01-07-2024 at 07:06 AM.
Demon-Alukard is offline   Reply With Quote