The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Fire Emblem

What do you think of this turn based RPG strategy series?

Fire Emblem was a Japan exclusive franchise for a long time. Remember when we first unlocked Marth and Roy in SSB Melee back in 2001 and wondered "who the **** are these guys?!"?

Well, thanks to Melee, Nintendo decided it would be a good idea to start releasing the Fire Emblem games worldwide. And they've gained quite a following in the West among Nintendo fans.

I've recently gotten into the series myself with Fates. Birthright was fine, even if a little repetitive. A good introductory game for a newcomer to the series like me. Now in playing Conquest which is more geared towards veteran FE players, and so far I must say it's a more interesting game than Birthright. It has more variety of battle objectives beyond "rout all enemies" and "defeat the boss".

After im done with Conquest I'll play Awakening. Not sure I'll get Revelations. I've heard the maps are lousy and the gameplay kind of gimmicky. If that's the case, not even having both Norh and Hoshido units in my party justifies paying 19.99 euro for it.

I own Path of Radiance for the GameCube as well. Oughta play that sometime. And I'm thinking of buying the first FE Warriors game for the Switch.

Haven't bought or played Three Houses yet. Will get on to it eventually.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 05:13 AM   #2
superstaff
Mad Scientist

I played Awakening, Fates (Birthright and Conquest), Shadows of Valentia, and Three Houses. Loved them all.

I finished Awakening, and the two Fates. Unfortunately, despite really enjoying Valentia, and Three Houses, I dropped them. Valentia because I was in the process of moving, and left the game on the wayside. With Three Houses, well...I was working on it when the pandemic hit, and I became extremely depressed, so I basically stopped playing it, and never picked it back up. It's a shame because I had just gotten to the final act of the game then.

I highly recommend Three Houses, Prowler. Excellent game.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

I stopped playing after the DS ones. I loved the two on GBA, played the ones with Ike on Gamecube/Wii, played the first DS one which was a remake of Fire Emblem 1 with Marth.

I never bought Awakening and skipped all the 3DS games and didn't buy Three Houses either. I fell out of it.

Once they started going "full anime" with Fire Emblem I lost interest. Now it's just another anime weeabo franchise. I liked Fire Emblem before it was cool.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:22 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I stopped playing after the DS ones. I loved the two on GBA, played the ones with Ike on Gamecube/Wii, played the first DS one which was a remake of Fire Emblem 1 with Marth.

I never bought Awakening and skipped all the 3DS games and didn't buy Three Houses either. I fell out of it.

Once they started going "full anime" with Fire Emblem I lost interest. Now it's just another anime weeabo franchise. I liked Fire Emblem before it was cool.
You're probably referring to the fact you can marry characters in Awakening and Fates. Aka you can choose your waifu.

Also, Awakening kinda saved the series in the Western market. It was a commercial success and added the casual mode.

Older FE games did not have the casual mode. Meaning if you lose an unit they're gone for good. But from what I hear, usually you'd meet and recruit other units further in the game. While nowadays games are mostly designed around the casual mode. Meaning if you play Fates on classic mode and lose some units in the middle of the story, you won't be able to recruit any future ones.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote