The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

How well is the Nick TMNT doing in Japan?

How well are the Nick TMNT doing in Japan so far? Ever since it's debut there (if it did yet) I have been wondering how well it's been doing. Given that the show quite heavily features Japanese and some of the culture, I'm guessing that it likely will be a big hit.

Any ideas (or even links) as to what it's state is over there?
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Well, we're starting to get a whole lot of merch from over there, so that's gotta be a sign of something. International exclusives always speak to successes, I'd say. At any rate, there's a crap ton of fan art on Pixiv (Japans Deviantart, basically, minus the talentless weirdos for the most part), lots of turtle talk on Twitter, & there's a mini-manga being published in one of their local comic magazines, though I forget the name. Must be doing pretty well!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

I'm curious how CG cartoons are received over there in general. Most if not all anime is 2D, so I'm wondering how they see a CG series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
m1om1om1o
New Recruit

Thumbs up

Man they love the 2012 tcest, especially the ones that involve Raph, he makes a great tsundere in this incarnation.
m1om1om1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Do they call April, "loli April" over there? God I hope not.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I'm curious how CG cartoons are received over there in general. Most if not all anime is 2D, so I'm wondering how they see a CG series.
This intrigues me as well! It's interesting that anime doesn't really get produced with CG animation of any sort.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:13 AM   #7
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
This intrigues me as well! It's interesting that anime doesn't really get produced with CG animation of any sort.
This is something I always wanted to know myself. Some anime will use CG models for certain characters or scenes (Kirby: Right Back at Ya!) but never a full CG cartoon. Even then, the CG is always cell-shaded such as the Ape Escape anime.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Why would they?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #9
Midnight Mutant
Foot Soldier

I remember reading that the premiere was a success and that ''turtle fever is back in Japan''

I see a lot of Japanese artist on Tumblr and Deviant art doing 2012 turtle art and I think they have successful merch of tmnt as well.

I have a co-worker who is going over to visit family in Japan next month, I'll have her investigate.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #10
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I can't wait to find out more about them in Japan.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:01 AM   #11
Miyamoto_Usagi
Thug

Quote:
You need to check this out. Captain Harlock http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCea94LRtPY or Appleseed Alpha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNDb2J6DIwg

I agree with Powder.

TMNT has got to be doing well in Japan. Revoltech which does mostly anime characters has an awesome TMNT set coming out soon. I have seen Japanese exclusive TMNT merchandise selling out too. I missed out on some good stuff. Japan loves stuff that is cute and also stuff that is plain weird, and this show has both.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:40 AM   #12
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Mutant View Post
I remember reading that the premiere was a success and that ''turtle fever is back in Japan''

I see a lot of Japanese artist on Tumblr and Deviant art doing 2012 turtle art and I think they have successful merch of tmnt as well.

I have a co-worker who is going over to visit family in Japan next month, I'll have her investigate.
Not to be a wet blanket, typically most series premieres have very strong ratings, even the U.S. premiere of Nick TMNT was the #1 Kids Program on cable:
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...source=twitter ...But currently near the end of its second season, it's a lukewarm success in the United States.

According to this blog article, TMNT reception in Japan is tricky because the OT had enormous success there:

Quote:
TV Tokyo is one of Japan’s major networks (comparable to NBC or CBS here in the states) and thus its programming was more easily accessible to a wider audience than a satellite network like NHK2. While the series did not complete the full US run of 194 episodes, you have to understand that a foreign cartoon running for 102 episodes on a major Japanese network like TV Tokyo is nothing short of a miracle.

Needless to say, a foreign cartoon such as Ninja Turtles running on a station like TV Tokyo for 102 episodes is, quite simply put, a monumental achievement and credence to the brand’s incredible popularity over there at the time.
...But 4Kids floundered there:
Quote:
Still, fond memories of the Fred Wolf TMNT cartoon’s impressive 102 episode streak and ratings success likely had a hand in fueling their decision to give the 4Kids series a fair go.

Sadly, it didn’t work out so well.
The series ran for 52 episodes (seasons 1 and 2, in America), ending with the conclusion of the “Battle Nexus Tournament” arc. The 4Kids cartoon, airing at 6am on Saturday’s, simply floundered and failed to find an audience.
The series didn’t strike a chord with its target audience, children, but the adult fans seemed to eat it up, recalling fond memories of the Mutant Turtles cartoon from their childhoods.
So we can only observe Nick's longevity then, but then again, the Nick TMNT has the cute aspect to it that appeals to the Japanese. **shrug**
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:17 AM   #13
Lou 500
Hench Mutant

I've been seeing Japanese fanart here and there, so I would take that as an indicator that it's doing fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Why would they?
Yeah. For one, she's too old.
Lou 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #14
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 500 View Post
I don't think she would. I don't know much about Loli stuff other than the Lolita fashion style. I'm a fan of gothic Lolita, Classic Lolita, and Kuro Lolita. The clothes are awesome. I envy those who can dress in this fashion.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #15
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

My foot ninjas fron japan are telling me that it is doing great there. That to be expected as it focus on nina action and the japansese culture.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #16
CowabungaMikey
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Will you shut up with your ''loli April'' **** already? It seems like you have a fetish or something.

Cowabunga says it all!
CowabungaMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
I don't think she would. I don't know much about Loli stuff other than the Lolita fashion style. I'm a fan of gothic Lolita, Classic Lolita, and Kuro Lolita. The clothes are awesome. I envy those who can dress in this fashion.
They... aren't talking about the fashion.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Quote:
Why would they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 500 View Post
I've been seeing Japanese fanart here and there, so I would take that as an indicator that it's doing fairly well.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowabungaMikey View Post
Will you shut up with your ''loli April'' **** already? It seems like you have a fetish or something.
Quote:
They... aren't talking about the fashion.
This thread just took a wrong turn.

I think it's doing pretty well if Revoltech is making TMNT figures.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I shall assume that I will have to google "loli" to understand the context Cybercube is referring to, as I honestly don't know...or may have come across the context many years ago, but forgot about it since it wasn't relevant...

Who knows. I do know that I'm a bit scared of what I might come across...

That aside, in Japan, does the show only air on TV Tokyo or does it air on other stations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Mutant View Post
I fail as i live here and don't know jack. lol

Last edited by ssjup81; 06-28-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #20
capsule
Thug

Peace. i'm capsule, from Japan.

speaking first hand, eh - there isnt a craze like one would expect.

I believe this is mainly due to its TV Time Slot in the morning.

yes, TVTokyo is a huge network, but it this airs new episodes
on >>Friday at 7:30am.

I would say, 80% of kids are out of the house and on their way to school by 7:30am. Its hard and near impossible to randomly stumble upon this show and catch Turtle Fever.. A kid would have to "DV-R" it and watch it later.. for most, this just isnt happening.

Toys R US, Yodabashi, Yamada Denki.. Major retailers are starting to Carry Playmate TMNT Action Figures & Vehicles now. Speaking from one that frequents toy stores, I just dont see them flying off the shelves. Kids just arent making the connection to the Television Show and the Toys being displayed to them..

In fact, its kind of cool (well, cool for me) to see a fully stocked shelf at every store of the current Series 1 Toy and Merch Offerings..

Yes, there are some people looking at and buying TMNT, but they seem to be old school faithfuls that are genuinely interested in the new CG Series.

thats just my two cents - Someday ill do more first hand investigating and post in another thread dedicated to TMNT in Japan.

Peace. _capsule.
capsule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan