The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #61
Duke
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
So are there any we're still missing at this point?
I'm trying to compile a complete list of what I'm personally missing but there are definitely some missing. For instance, I don't believe anyone has a complete 1995 set. It took years to find the complete 1996 run.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #62
miru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I'm trying to compile a complete list of what I'm personally missing but there are definitely some missing. For instance, I don't believe anyone has a complete 1995 set. It took years to find the complete 1996 run.
I don’t think the UK version is complete even for one year. Wasn’t there a Canada version?
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #63
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

It's been close to three years since I even looked at what I'd pieced together of the TMNT comic strip, but with the 1996 weekdays appearing in one big batch it's time to dust off the progress.

Based on available information about the strip's run and between gocomics, wayback machine, exchanges with folks here, and strips scanned from print sources--
the TMNT Strip Archive project I've worked up is now missing 136 weekday strips:
52 weekday strips for 1993
84 weekday strips for 1995

I'd be curious to compare notes/specifics with anyone who has strips from those years squirreled away on old HDs.
wilddiverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #64
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
I don’t think the UK version is complete even for one year. Wasn’t there a Canada version?
I wasn't even aware there was a TMNT comic printed in the UK.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #65
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I wasn't even aware there was a TMNT comic printed in the UK.
Here are pictures of a good chunk of it:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...32&postcount=9

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #66
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I've got a Christmas present for everyone. I finally found these on an old harddrive and wanted to share with everyone.
Complete 1996 Weekday (Monday through Friday) Comic Strip Run
Wow, thanks! I was hunting fairly actively for these a few years ago, but I had sort of given up hope of ever finding them. Glad they finally showed up.

A while back I had started to organize what I found from digging through newspaper archives and various sources on the internet, but I got distracted and never finished. Anyway, here are links to what I have. I think most of it has been posted here in some form or another but I'll leave it here nonetheless:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zu6irlz9okp67b3/90-92.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5tkorx49bpiz0m1/93-96.zip

90-92 is pretty complete, it even has the weekend strips showing the fan art and such (although most of the weekend ones are in b+w; I may have the color versions of some of these in a collection of physical strips that I recently acquired but I haven't got around to sorting through them yet). The other years are less complete, but with the recent additions it seems that we can fill in many of the gaps.

It would be really cool if someone on here could compile everything into a single cohesive collection.
rocklobster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #67
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Here are full color versions of some of the weekend fanart strips from 91 and a few from 92:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/744uhf...olor_91_92.zip
Old 02-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #68
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster13 View Post
Here are full color versions of some of the weekend fanart strips from 91 and a few from 92:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/744uhf...olor_91_92.zip
Nice, most of these appear to be new finds or a significant quality upgrade over what I scrounged online. And reinforces my presumed cut-off point for the inclusion of story material in weekend strips as mid-June 1991.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #69
rocklobster13
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
It's been close to three years since I even looked at what I'd pieced together of the TMNT comic strip, but with the 1996 weekdays appearing in one big batch it's time to dust off the progress.

Based on available information about the strip's run and between gocomics, wayback machine, exchanges with folks here, and strips scanned from print sources--
the TMNT Strip Archive project I've worked up is now missing 136 weekday strips:
52 weekday strips for 1993

I'd be curious to compare notes/specifics with anyone who has strips from those years squirreled away on old HDs.

Here's what I have from 93 (I realized that some of these were missing from the link I posted before). I think it can fill in many of the gaps from that year:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hy32c91cs8ctvsl/93.zip
Old 02-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #70
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Individual pdfs sure do make my brain scream.

But yes, that fills 40 of 52 missing weekday strips from 1993 if our dates match so headed into the merging of sources it appears the search has dropped under 100 narrative strips to go for a readable run.

96 weekday strips needed for the TMNT Strip Archive project:
12 weekday strips for 1993
Old 02-11-2018, 11:41 PM   #71
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilddiverse View Post
96 weekday strips needed for the TMNT Strip Archive project:
12 weekday strips for 1993
Next time I'm in the Amherst area I'll see if I can do some plundering through the UMass archives and search these years.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #72
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Here are pictures of a good chunk of it:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...32&postcount=9
No I believe you. It's just I don't remember the comic strip. Where was it printed again?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #73
wilddiverse
Stone Warrior

Finally ran down a copy of the Comic Shop News issue (#189, February 1991!) that began the strip's inclusion:

-

For thirteen months the new TMNT strips from the previous week were run in Comic Shop News - a still-running weekly newspaper exclusive to comic book stores. CSN stopped running the color Sunday strips after seven weeks.

For those taking notes:
Dates encompassing the strip's full run - 12-09-1990 to 12-31-1996
Dates of strips run in Comic Shop News - 01-27-1991 to 03-07-1992
Dates of the strips run in Comics Revue - 12-10-1990 to 09-25-1992

I'd assumed that CSN ran the strip beginning with its Dec.1990 debut, but unfortunately that is not the case. Also unfortunate is that both Comic Shop News and Comics Revue are now thoroughly tapped out as sources to fill the remaining gaps in the strip's run.

We're still hoping for the person who saved a full set of 1995 strips from the Mirage website to speak up... is it you?

Last edited by wilddiverse; 02-16-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #74
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

I don't have anything to add to this but just I guess a bump for visibility.

I guess i'll just bounce some ideas around... has anyone attempted to look through like college libraries and see what may be archived in those systems? I know colleges typically have vast resources when it comes to old publications.

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #75
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotJuicyBurgers View Post
I don't have anything to add to this but just I guess a bump for visibility.

I guess i'll just bounce some ideas around... has anyone attempted to look through like college libraries and see what may be archived in those systems? I know colleges typically have vast resources when it comes to old publications.
I once put in an ILL request for microfilm of the Daily Hampshire Gazette (Northampton, MA) because it seemed like a likely candidate to run the strip into the later years, but my library still wasn't able to get hold of a reel. If somebody has opportunity to visit Forbes Library, maybe they can make that a project:
https://forbeslibrary.org/research/local-history/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #76
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I once put in an ILL request for microfilm of the Daily Hampshire Gazette (Northampton, MA) because it seemed like a likely candidate to run the strip into the later years, but my library still wasn't able to get hold of a reel. If somebody has opportunity to visit Forbes Library, maybe they can make that a project:
What about colleges in boston? I have a friend that lives in boston and I might be able to convince them.

Also: Just wanted to say what up to Wilddiverse. A chunk of my collection is thanks to you. Was going through some old messages I have on here and saw our communications regarding the comics I bought from you. Not to mention I remember one time you helped me out regarding a certain website I had lost access to and you helped me out.

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:30 PM   #77
funatic
Mad Scientist

Quote:
A couple months ago I did an extensive search through the microfilm at Forbes, if I didn't post the results here it was one of the various other threads on this topic... no dice, unfortunately. Some day I'll make the trek to UMass' Tower of Orthanc, err, I mean Library and see what I can find in their palantir.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 AM   #78
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

IDW Library of American Comics TMNT

Question: Were all of these strips original art and stories or reprints of the comics in newspapers?

As some of you may know IDW has The Library of American Comics LOAC that is “dedicated to preserving, in definitive editions, the long and jubilantly creative history of the American newspaper comic strip.” That quote is from the website. I attached the link below.

Suggestion: IDW needs to have a volume in the LOAC series dedicated to TMNT. Unless these strips were just reprints of previously released comics.

http://loac.idwpublishing.com/complete-catalogue/

TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #79
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

Giant thumb up.

I believe it is all original material.
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #80
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortock Diab View Post
I believe it is all original material.
I was not sure but that’s what I thought. Yes it has to happen. IDW has an entire series dedicated to collecting newspaper strips for preservation.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newspaper strips