The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #21
Jay $tarkiller
Stone Warrior

I'm not gonna go into the whole nra, firearm debate, however to me there is no distinguishable reason why a teacher needs a a freacking maschine gun or assault rifle at home

I know there's this whole constitution thing and yada yada yada, but seriously, if people need guns at home (still don't know about that), then please just set some sort of limitations on how big and what kinda guns they can purchase. In terms of protection you don't need anything bigger than a regular handgun. Why do they need assault rifle and automatic weapons at home?! There's just no sense in all this

This deeply saddens me, those kids were innocent little babys.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #22
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yeah, I wondered about that, too. Why the heck would you even buy your kid an assault rifle? That's just insane. We definitely need better gun control or better yet, more mental institutions where people like this guy can be locked away so sh*t like this doesn't happen anymore. You've got mentally challenged people just being allowed into society, and things like this are bound to happen. Lock this people up so they won't hurt anybody.

They've been covering this on The Today Show this morning and people were describing what happened. Just so horrible. I think the only good thing to come from this is that people are banding together in support.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #23
Super Moderator

While I agree that automatic weapons should be in the hands of the defenders of our freedom, gun control is merely a temporary solution. The real solution is to teach children not to be sore losers. Where were these problems 20 years ago? I can't recall many...can you?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #24
Jay $tarkiller
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Where were these problems 20 years ago? I can't recall many...can you?
That's actually a really good point! There are a lot more problems with juvenile violence in general these days..in Germany we don't have that many gun problems, because we have very strict rules and it's almost impossible to get guns for your home. But we do actually seem to have a huge problem with juvenile punks who beat people to death in public trainstations.

The inhibition of kids is on an alltime low...back in the days, kids didn't go all nuts and beat the **** out of somebody just for spite or simple boredom. I see that everyday working as a criminal lawyer..it's kinda scary
Old 12-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Video games

Here's the mandatory "after school massacre"-discussion

http://www.examiner.com/article/vide...-jack-thompson
Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #26
Jay $tarkiller
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedenfan 1982 View Post

Here we go again...that's ******** plain & simple! I used to play Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem, GTA, Quake, Dark Forces etc etc, and didn't turn into a nutjob! It all comes down to a loving family and reasonable upbringing, that's what's lacking these days. A lot of kids grow up in torn familys. Sounds old school, but I think there's a lot of truth to it.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #27
BladeEdge86
Random Punk

Quote:

I knew that would come up, yes young children should not be seeing this stuff but whose fault is that? There are so many parents these days that just their kids in front of the TV and never talk to them about right and wrong and the difference between fantasy and reality.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph12 View Post
Here we go again...that's ******** plain & simple! I used to play Mortal Kombat, Duke Nukem, GTA, Quake, Dark Forces etc etc, and didn't turn into a nutjob! It all comes down to a loving family and reasonable upbringing, that's what's lacking these days. A lot of kids grow up in torn familys. Sounds old school, but I think there's a lot of truth to it.
This. A thousand times this. It's like blaming the damn baby sitter for your own crappy parenting skills.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #29
Jay $tarkiller
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
This. A thousand times this. It's like blaming the damn baby sitter for your own crappy parenting skills.
WORD
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #30
Overlord

Quote:
That's actually a really good point! There are a lot more problems with juvenile violence in general these days..in Germany we don't have that many gun problems, because we have very strict rules and it's almost impossible to get guns for your home. But we do actually seem to have a huge problem with juvenile punks who beat people to death in public trainstations.

The inhibition of kids is on an alltime low...back in the days, kids didn't go all nuts and beat the **** out of somebody just for spite or simple boredom. I see that everyday working as a criminal lawyer..it's kinda scary
But Germany has a long tradition of school massacres (by European standards, they are many). And those punks, are they really punks? I recall Neo-Nazi skinheads beating up people on train stations in Germany around 1999-2000.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #31
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Oh, man, I knew this would come up. It's up to the parents to teach children about responsibility around weapons. Apparently, his mother was the one who taught him to shoot the guns, but she probably never thought he'd do something like this. I think this kid had a lot of issues concerning his mother and took it out on her and those poor kids. The kid was seeing a psychologist, but apparently it didn't work out. I think there are some cases where if medicine and counseling don't work, the person should be locked up where they can get better treatment. Sadly, there aren't many mental institutions around anymore, and that's the problem.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #32
Jay $tarkiller
Stone Warrior

Quote:
But Germany has a long tradition of school massacres (by European standards, they are many). And those punks, are they really punks? I recall Neo-Nazi skinheads beating up people on train stations in Germany around 1999-2000.
Really, a long history of massacres?! That's new to me..of course there have been some, but that's nothing compared to the States.

I didn't refer to them as "punks" regarding their poltitical views, but to state that those kids are stupid and bored bums, that try to live some kind of macho lifestyle.

Of course we still got problems with Nazis. Especially in the east of Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Oh, man, I knew this would come up. It's up to the parents to teach children about responsibility around weapons. Apparently, his mother was the one who taught him to shoot the guns, but she probably never thought he'd do something like this.
So do you think it's appropriate that a teacher is allowed to buy and own an assault rifles?! I really think that's the nub of the matter. Why do you need weapons at home, that usually should only be carried by the army or special police forces?! There's just no sense in that. If the Americans insist on their constitutional right to protect themselves, than handguns are fully adequate.

I know that nutjobs still can kill people with handguns, but there's a whole nother dimension of harm to it, if it's done with assault rifles and automatic weapons. They can kill much more people and cause much more damage in far less time than any regular handgun.

I think banning automatic weapons would be a first step in the right direction, but hey that's just me.

Last edited by Jay $tarkiller; 12-18-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #33
Overlord

Quote:
Really, a long history of massacres?! That's new to me..of course there have been some, but that's nothing compared to the States.

I didn't refer to them as "punks" regarding their poltitical views, but to state that those kids are stupid and bored bums, that try to live some kind of macho lifestyle.

So do you think it's appropriate that a teacher is allowed to buy and own an assault rifles?! I really think that's the nub of the matter. Why do you need weapons at home, that usually should only be carried by the army or special police forces?! There's just no sense in that. If the Americans insist on their constitutional right to protect themselves, than handguns are fully adequate.

I know that nutjobs still can kill people with handguns, but there's a whole nother dimension of harm to it, if it's done with assault rifles and automatic weapons. They can kill much more people and cause much more damage in far less time than any regular handgun.

I think banning automatic weapons would be a first step in the right direction, but hey that's just me.
Here they are

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ngs_in_Germany
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #34
Jay $tarkiller
Stone Warrior

Ok, thanks, just remembered the last three. But that just proves my point, because that's 7 in total, some are even earlier than the 60's and how many are there every year in the States?! I'm only trying to say, that the weak firearm regulations in America are definitely a huge part of the problem why there's been so much violence in schools.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #35
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:

No, I don't think it's appropriate for anyone to own assault rifles. It's just plain wrong and stupid. Handguns I could see or maybe a rifle for hunting, but not weapons used in the military. And though she was responsible, she never should have allowed her mentally challenged son to use those guns at all.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #36
Dirty Blond
Stone Warrior

I don't think prohibition works (look at drugs), but what about this place in Georgia?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5c1b6a72-c...9a.html#slide0
Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #37
Navin Johnson
Stone Warrior

Our gun laws were not formed to protect us from each other, they were formed to protect us from our government. We are loosing our freedoms more and more every
year. We have 300 million guns in the USA, I don't think a gun ban will make the slightest difference when some nut really wants to get his hands on one. As sad as
it is, its the price we pay for freedom. God, Guns and Guts made this country what
it is and if you think our government can make it safer with another law, your wrong.
Truth is, it would only make a lot of people "feel better" and pat themselfs on the back
for taking away another constitutional right.
I understand how people think "no one needs a assault rifle" but they are out their, and
and being used in everyday crime. I should have the legal right to as much firepower as
the bad guys, and so should you.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #38
LH
Leatherhead

My heart goes out to everyone involved with this.. May the victims rest in peace......
Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #39
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...6pLid%3D247197

Quote:
quick-thinking music teacher at Sandy Hook Elementary School found a secure spot for her students as soon as she heard the first salvo from the shooter's gun.

Killer Adam Lanza arrived moments later at their locked closet door, pounding and yelling "Let me in," while the students in Maryrose Kristopik's class quietly hid inside, AFP reported.

"We were all really scared and then we prayed," said 9-year-old Nicholas Sabillon, who was interviewed with his parents. "Miss Kristopik gave us all lollipops. We thought it would be our last snack."

The sound of shattering glass and additional menacing yells from Lanza tormented the students. But Sabillon says they remained silent and carefully held their musical instruments so they wouldn't produce a sound.

At some point, Lanza, 20, left the room and killed himself after he'd murdered 20 students and six adults.

Police scoured the schoolhouse, then led students to a nearby fire station, which became the meeting point for parents searching for their children.

Sabillon's parents Jose and Sherry arrived like many other Newtown parents, unaware that students had been killed at all.

"There was not one mention of children," Sherry said. "We would never have thought that children were injured."

Schools in Newtown reopened, though the elementary school remains shut. Funerals for two victims took place on Monday and another two were scheduled for today.
an accounting from some of the survivors.

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight...for HIM?

~Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
Old 12-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #40
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
I have been impressed by the amount of tributes that have come out from celebs and others over this. From The Voice and others. Hell, the WWE opened TLC Sunday with a 26 bell toll tribute and on Saturday, the local hockey team here in MJ opened the game with a moment of silence

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
Closed Thread