The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #21
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

When you're winning a game, and the cpu manages to beat you at the last minute by slowing you down or something. it's unfair.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #22
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
When you're winning a game, and the cpu manages to beat you at the last minute by slowing you down or something. it's unfair.
Like the CPU using the Blue Shell against you in the Mario Kart games.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:04 PM   #23
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

One thing that I hate about cutscenes to this very day is the lack of an ability to pause them. You've just spent a long time beating a level/map/section of the game and are finally presented with the next part of the story...and then you get a phone, or someone's ringing your door bell, or someone in the other room is calling for you, etc. Which means your only option is to ignore everything until the cutscene is finished or just simply miss out on that part of the game. I should just be able to simply push whatever the pause button is to pause it, but all that usually does is skip the cutscene all together. I'm not trying to avoid it I'm trying to put it on hold because I have real life stuff that need my attention. I understand some gamers don't like cutscenes or story at all and just want to skip to the gameplay, but some people do care about the story otherwise they wouldn't bother making cutscenes in the first place. There should at least be an option to continue viewing a cutscene after it's finished. Some games at least have the decency to let you view past cutscenes but they are usually only reserved for the big budget FMV cutscenes, the smaller in game cutscenes are almost always left out. All I'm saying is I shouldn't have to replay the entire game just to find out what the Princess said to the Hero after the Mini Boss because I couldn't commit 100% of my time to the game.

Games that don't have multiple save slots. I wanted to replay Sonic Generations from the beginning, but because there aren't any extra save slots my only option is to delete all my records and unlockables. The game does at least lets you watch old cutscenes so you could in theory play a level and then watch the cutscene, but the whole reason I wanted to start a new game was for the feeling of progression. What if I had someone living with me that also wanted to play through the game and unlock everything at his or her pace? The only way for that to work would be If we had two exactly the same game consoles hook up to the same exact TV. If games as far back as the 80s had multiple save slots then why can't some modern games?

Games that end with a bad ending no matter what you do. Storytelling in games is not the same as traditional storytelling. When we read a book or watch a movie whether it's fiction or non-fiction there is an understanding that the events of these storytelling devices have already happened and we are simply an observer watching these events unfold so whatever happens has already happened, we can't change the story. Video Games don't get away with that. In a video game you are constantly and actively making choices and actions that determine if you, the protagonist of the game's story, lose or win no matter how small or big the decision is. Should I jump on the Goomba or just jump over it? Should I buy the health potion or save my money for better armor? Should I use stealth in this mission or can I take them with just my guns? In a game you are no longer simply an observer, you are an active participant. So if the player follows the rules and conditions the game asks of them then what right does the game have to give you a bad ending, the same kind of ending the story would have had the player simply died? It's why so many people wore upset with Aeris's death in Final Fantasy VII or Mass Effect 3's ending. All this time the players wore actively in charge, making sure the the protagonist succeeds...only to have that ability, that agency taken away from them in a cutscene. You could argue "Hey, happy endings don't happen all the time in real life. It just makes the game more realistic." That's true, but I argue video games at the end of the day are just that- games. You should be rewarded for your skill and accomplishments not punished. Imagine if the original Donkey Kong arcade game ended with DK simply throwing Mario off the skyscraper to his death complete with a "Game Over" screen. A video game with a bad ending is like winning a carnival game and not getting a prize. I doubt many people would play poker if the game always ended in everyone losing money. It's also ridiculous when a game requires you to play through the game twice, sometime with a higher difficulty, just to get that good or "true" ending.

Glitches or oversights that prevent the player from finishing the game. Pretty self explanatory but here's some examples. In Indiana Jones and the infernal machine I found a gem required to open a door and continue the game. Real life called so I saved the game and turned off the N64 and continued playing the game later...only for the gem to no longer be in my inventory...and it's no longer on the pedestal it was originally on either. In Resident Evil: Code Veronica my sister got all the way to the end of the game...only to find out she needed the fire extinguisher to continue...the same fire extinguisher she left in the metal detector box at the beginning of the game...the same area that she can't backtrack to.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #24
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Crafting items and weapons.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #25
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Ooh another thing I hate: games that HAVE to be online.

Destiny is a favorite game of mine but it's not worth trying to play when my wifi network is acting up
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #26
Gin Rummy
Stone Warrior

I always hate it when video games force you to play through long, plodding tutorials.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy View Post
One thing that I hate about cutscenes to this very day is the lack of an ability to pause them. You've just spent a long time beating a level/map/section of the game and are finally presented with the next part of the story...and then you get a phone, or someone's ringing your door bell, or someone in the other room is calling for you, etc. Which means your only option is to ignore everything until the cutscene is finished or just simply miss out on that part of the game. I should just be able to simply push whatever the pause button is to pause it, but all that usually does is skip the cutscene all together. I'm not trying to avoid it I'm trying to put it on hold because I have real life stuff that need my attention. I understand some gamers don't like cutscenes or story at all and just want to skip to the gameplay, but some people do care about the story otherwise they wouldn't bother making cutscenes in the first place. There should at least be an option to continue viewing a cutscene after it's finished. Some games at least have the decency to let you view past cutscenes but they are usually only reserved for the big budget FMV cutscenes, the smaller in game cutscenes are almost always left out. All I'm saying is I shouldn't have to replay the entire game just to find out what the Princess said to the Hero after the Mini Boss because I couldn't commit 100% of my time to the game.

Games that don't have multiple save slots. I wanted to replay Sonic Generations from the beginning, but because there aren't any extra save slots my only option is to delete all my records and unlockables. The game does at least lets you watch old cutscenes so you could in theory play a level and then watch the cutscene, but the whole reason I wanted to start a new game was for the feeling of progression. What if I had someone living with me that also wanted to play through the game and unlock everything at his or her pace? The only way for that to work would be If we had two exactly the same game consoles hook up to the same exact TV. If games as far back as the 80s had multiple save slots then why can't some modern games?

Games that end with a bad ending no matter what you do. Storytelling in games is not the same as traditional storytelling. When we read a book or watch a movie whether it's fiction or non-fiction there is an understanding that the events of these storytelling devices have already happened and we are simply an observer watching these events unfold so whatever happens has already happened, we can't change the story. Video Games don't get away with that. In a video game you are constantly and actively making choices and actions that determine if you, the protagonist of the game's story, lose or win no matter how small or big the decision is. Should I jump on the Goomba or just jump over it? Should I buy the health potion or save my money for better armor? Should I use stealth in this mission or can I take them with just my guns? In a game you are no longer simply an observer, you are an active participant. So if the player follows the rules and conditions the game asks of them then what right does the game have to give you a bad ending, the same kind of ending the story would have had the player simply died? It's why so many people wore upset with Aeris's death in Final Fantasy VII or Mass Effect 3's ending. All this time the players wore actively in charge, making sure the the protagonist succeeds...only to have that ability, that agency taken away from them in a cutscene. You could argue "Hey, happy endings don't happen all the time in real life. It just makes the game more realistic." That's true, but I argue video games at the end of the day are just that- games. You should be rewarded for your skill and accomplishments not punished. Imagine if the original Donkey Kong arcade game ended with DK simply throwing Mario off the skyscraper to his death complete with a "Game Over" screen. A video game with a bad ending is like winning a carnival game and not getting a prize. I doubt many people would play poker if the game always ended in everyone losing money. It's also ridiculous when a game requires you to play through the game twice, sometime with a higher difficulty, just to get that good or "true" ending.

Glitches or oversights that prevent the player from finishing the game. Pretty self explanatory but here's some examples. In Indiana Jones and the infernal machine I found a gem required to open a door and continue the game. Real life called so I saved the game and turned off the N64 and continued playing the game later...only for the gem to no longer be in my inventory...and it's no longer on the pedestal it was originally on either. In Resident Evil: Code Veronica my sister got all the way to the end of the game...only to find out she needed the fire extinguisher to continue...the same fire extinguisher she left in the metal detector box at the beginning of the game...the same area that she can't backtrack to.
Yeah, good point. Being able to pause cutcenes would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin Rummy View Post
I always hate it when video games force you to play through long, plodding tutorials.
Yeah, I miss the days of colourful instruction booklets.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #28
oldmanwinters
Overlord

It's a small thing, but...
The antiquated system of "lives" that don't really matter when games save every little bit of progress. Where are the consequences of failure in this modern age where the quality of a game is measured in how many hours your first playthrough will take you?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #29
sdp
-

mobile games that are gone forever once the company says so, since they're online only you will never be able to play them again. Similarly those games that include once in a forever special articles that you may never get a chance to get again.

When you accidentally skip a cutscene or dialog and there's now way to re-watch it/re-read it.

Overuse of memes in recent Nintendo translations
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #30
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
mobile games that are gone forever once the company says so, since they're online only you will never be able to play them again. Similarly those games that include once in a forever special articles that you may never get a chance to get again.
Oh, yeah, this is the worst. Digital-only games that become nowhere-games after a certain date.

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-07-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:32 AM   #31
Turo602
The King of Kings

• Unskippable cutscenes are annoying but even worse are checkpoints placed right before them.
  • Cheap deaths by slow recovery animations that are perfectly timed with an enemy's attack pattern.
  • When a game presents you with 2 paths, one to explore and one to progress the story, and if you choose the wrong path and end up progressing, you can't go back to see what you missed.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #32
sdp
-

digital only games even if delisted can be saved through piracy which works as a conservation public service but those games that require online and have daily crap like most F2P mobile games, yeah those will be gone forever. No way to re-create them.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:10 AM   #33
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I have another. I can't believe I forgot it the first time. I find it almost as bad as 1 hit kills.

When you come to any point in the game and have no idea what you're supposed to do. Even after seemingly trying every possible thing.

There's a difference between figuring something out and being ridiculously vague. Eventually I just look it up or watch a video to see exactly what needs to be done.

Sometimes it's things you would have never thought of unless you literally just messed around like crazy. Some games are entirely based on this formula. The Ecco the Dolphin games were like this. How anyone finds this style of gameplay fun is a mystery to me.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #34
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I have another. I can't believe I forgot it the first time. I find it almost as bad as 1 hit kills.

When you come to any point in the game and have no idea what you're supposed to do. Even after seemingly trying every possible thing.

There's a difference between figuring something out and being ridiculously vague. Eventually I just look it up or watch a video to see exactly what needs to be done.

Sometimes it's things you would have never thought of unless you literally just messed around like crazy. Some games are entirely based on this formula. The Ecco the Dolphin games were like this. How anyone finds this style of gameplay fun is a mystery to me.
Man, I hate those parts in a game as well. I was stuck on how to move the barrel in Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3 for months when I was a kid. I didn't figure out the right way to move the barrel until years later. I just kept jumping on it again and again to get the barrel to move. That endless sand slide puzzle in Sandopolis Zone in S&K also took sometime to figure out.

Last edited by Wesley; 04-08-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #35
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Fairly common for early 3D games:
Walking around in a "dark room" and having no idea if I'm moving forward down an unseen hallway or just shuffling against an unseen wall.

View my sketch work!