The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #101
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Scalpers are garbage parasites. But this entire "limited exclusive" idea actively encourages the speculator market and keeps items out of the hands of the people they should be made for. The whole situation grosses me out.

NECA has handled it well in the past -- I got my NYCC Mirage Foot Clan set by ordering online, despite being nowhere near NYC. But from what I can tell, getting this one was damned near impossible even for regular SDCC attendees. Fans should at least have a chance to get a hold of these things legitimately.

I've been a huge Usagi comics fan for like 20 years. The first thing I'd wanna do is take the thing out of the box, swap heads, put it in a nice pose with its accessories, and find it a good place to display it with my other Usagi stuff. Y'know, enjoy the thing. Like it should be made for, right?

Last edited by Bry; 08-03-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #102
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danakin View Post
NECA's, this year in fact.

If you're talking specifically Nick/Playmates, then the last two I was present for (Shadow Leo and Chrome Shredder) were easy to obtain.
Neca's exclusives were not handled properly at all. First they canceled one of their early sales dates for non-attendees. Second they ended up with a lot of extras. Third everyone and their mom are having quality control issues that range from case problems, paint issues, or assembly issues on the figures. To me it almost seems like they knew the QC was **** so they hoarded a bunch of extras for the inevitable backlash.

**** YOU RANDY
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 AM   #103
statik
Foot Soldier

Not getting involved in the Neca in a topic about Usagi.

Anyway. I can confirm. Nickelodeon line is the biggest ****ing joke at SDCC. I was first in line for the general crowd to be let in, rushed my ass to Nick line. Already capped. They only cater to exhibitor and professional badges who get let in early. I've tried the past two years and it's the same ordeal both times. Unless you have those badges, don't waste your time. I'm not feeding a flipper based on this. I will proudly say **** you Nickelodeon and **** you Playmates. Finally release a quality figure and all you do is feed flippers by limiting it so low. Class act guys. Give yourself a pat on the back for being the most hated tmnt toy brand. Well done.
statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #104
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I ordered one of these off of eBay today for someone who just wanted the figure. The exclusive comic included I will be offering for sale...
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #105
Danakin
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntfannumerouno View Post
Neca's exclusives were not handled properly at all. First they canceled one of their early sales dates for non-attendees. Second they ended up with a lot of extras. Third everyone and their mom are having quality control issues that range from case problems, paint issues, or assembly issues on the figures. To me it almost seems like they knew the QC was **** so they hoarded a bunch of extras for the inevitable backlash.

**** YOU RANDY
The fact that non-attendees had an opportunity to purchase them at all puts NECA in the positive category. They provided ordering information a month ahead of time so everyone could prepare, plenty of people here were able to order a set (or two) with ease. Compare that to 95% of the other companies offering convention exclusives.

QC is a separate issue, one that occurs often with any company that produces in NECA's quantity and price range - look no further than Hasbro's retail offerings. NECA also has a good history of replacing pieces/figures and I have no doubt they will make it right for anyone with a faulty set. NECA tends to let the factories run wild with production of these con exclusives after the show so I'm sure they're gathering replacements now.

These are small problems compared to this Playmates/Nick fiasco in which only vendors/scalpers were able to buy an Usagi. NECA did everything they could within their licensing restrictions to get these into as many hands as possible. Playmates could have made 500, 1000 or even more of these, offered them online or as a shared TRU exclusive or some other means and they chose not to.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #106
DonnieLaForge
Foot Soldier

After a long delay...mine arrived. Playmates shoved it into the white box a bit hastily and put a crease in the bottom front flap corner right out of the mint. Does that make it minty by definition?

I expected these to go at $70 or so during the con...before I heard they were limited to 350 and realized comic fans would be clamoring too. On the day the pic was released I actually hovered on eBay and could have bought some $80 listings but I thought that was too high - ha! Those orders probably never panned out anyway. So I bit the bullet a bit later but managed to keep it lower than 2 benjamins.

I had to have one...I have a complete opened basic collection plus a 99% complete carded collection... went nuts for this line. Have the other SDCCs too. Only hole is the original TF early preview turtles which I can rationalize away as not necessary. But this guy is necessary!

I wish for myself and everyone else it had been handled better.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:57 AM   #107
tw2thr3
Foot Soldier

This is definitely a cool collectors item but for the scalper prices I can do without. I almost paid 185 on eBay but couldn't bring myself to, of course it sold and that price may be considered low end right now. I truly pray that someone generous can offer casts for those like me who just want swappable heads for the basic usagi. Painting shouldn't be a problem. Would love a cast of Spot as well. Anybody with a set interested? Can pay for material costs labor and shipping of your own estimate. I'm sure there are many ppl on board for an idea like this
tw2thr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #108
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2thr3 View Post
This is definitely a cool collectors item but for the scalper prices I can do without. I almost paid 185 on eBay but couldn't bring myself to, of course it sold and that price may be considered low end right now. I truly pray that someone generous can offer casts for those like me who just want swappable heads for the basic usagi. Painting shouldn't be a problem. Would love a cast of Spot as well. Anybody with a set interested? Can pay for material costs labor and shipping of your own estimate. I'm sure there are many ppl on board for an idea like this
If I had the set I'd do it. I think it would be awseome to have multiple tokage for display.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:46 AM   #109
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2thr3 View Post

I bought one for $185 to part out. You'd have to ask the person I bought it for if you could make molds of all the extra pieces.

Anyone looking for just the comic?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:

Old 08-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #110
Jeff
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I bought one for $185 to part out. You'd have to ask the person I bought it for if you could make molds of all the extra pieces.

Anyone looking for just the comic?
how much are you willing to sell the comic for?
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #111
ZacksSoUgly
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Congrats, man. Glad that a real fan was able to get one.
Thanks, dude! I'm definitely glad too.

Check out TMNT articles I've written for The Hundreds :
TMNT Movie Rankings
Top 10 Comics of 2015
Kevin Eastman Interview

Personal Social Media
Instagram & Twitter : @ZacksSoUgly

TMNT Collecting Social Media
Instagram : @ZOSOtmnt
ZacksSoUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #112
Will not be censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
how much are you willing to sell the comic for?
I bought the figure for $185 shipped. Someone paid me $120 for just the figure and the box. Open to offers for the comic.
Quote:

Old 08-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #113
Jeff
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
I bought the figure for $185 shipped. Someone paid me $120 for just the figure and the box. Open to offers for the comic.
i dont know man, i was thinking $20. $65 is unreasonably high to me, but I wouldn't want you to take a loss.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote