The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 10,990
"Realistic" photoshops of superheroes

https://moviepilot.com/p/realistic-m...0&kwp_1=726789

What do you think? Does this make them more realistic?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #2
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,515
Ew. It's called escapism for a reason.

But hey, it's just a marketing gimmick that's easy to ignore because it's kept to variant covers.
snake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 12,722
Ah, it's a parody of the Realistic Disney Princess Edits. This one was a bit lame.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 10,362
I laughed on the typo in the thread title.

EDIT: The only one I like is the Superman edit because it does give him a build more similar to the George Reeves or Fleischer animated versions. It's very much a "farm boy" physique. The other edits just seem to exist to make a point that "plus size is beautiful." Which I'm not saying it isn't, but... shutting up now.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 12,722
Yeah, when I saw Superman, I thought it would be a proper Body Type edit, but all the other ones where "lol fat Superheroes".

I find it hilarious that Superheroes, primarily American Comic Superheroes sporting costumes so tight you can see every cervix, muscle bumps, veins and even the inside of the navel. But god forbid we see a bulge, or a moose-knuckle
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,515
Why do these covers assume that everyone is fat and tries to draw that as repulsive as possible? The Black Panther one is laughable. Like, the Gamora and Superman covers aren't that bad because the physiques look alright. I've seen thicker girls that I'd consider hot.

I really just don't understand the point of all this. Why would anyone want to see these so-called "realistic" comic book characters?
snake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #7
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 12,722
It's just a jab against the Disney Princess one where they're drawn with more realistic proportions.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
It's just a jab against the Disney Princess one where they're drawn with more realistic proportions.
I don't think it's a jab at it. More like a "let's also do this!".
snake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #9
ToTheNines
[sic]
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,747
"Realistic" Harley was very nice. The rest were dumb. Especially BP.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #10
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,072
The only one I really like is the Harley one, and that's just because boobs like the ones she's drawn with come with curvier all around bodies...more often than not.

I'm a slice-of-life realism kind of gal, and so I dig the concept of drawing these heroes with a lens more focused on realistic body proportions. It's just I think the execution here wasn't fantastic.

What about instead of drawing every dude super strong man as a body builder, we envisioned them as folks who'd appear on World's Strongest Man competition.

Strong doesn't need to mean oiled and ripped.

Why they didn't just link to Alex Ross is beyond me.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,564
Fat Spiderman.

Well, this will hopefully be the weirdest thing I see on the internet all day...
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 10,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I really just don't understand the point of all this. Why would anyone want to see these so-called "realistic" comic book characters?
Mostly for the body shaming. It's not a "realistic" photoshopping... it's a "now they're fat" photoshop. The article should have been titled "what comic book characters would look like if they were fat." If these characters were real they would be in ridiculous shape just from the training required to do what they do. Maybe Superman, less so.

And Aquaman would be in the best shape of them all since he swims all day and eats nothing but seaweed and fish.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:25 AM   #13
snake
Noided
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Fat Spiderman.

Well, this will hopefully be the weirdest thing I see on the internet all day...
It's like you've never seen the typical Spider-Man cosplay at any comic con.
snake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Victory Is Life
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
It's like you've never seen the typical Spider-Man cosplay at any comic con.
Yeah, but that's not WEIRD. That's just chunky dudes dressing up like their hero.

THIS is a chunky dude BEING the hero.

Again, I don't want to see anything weirder than this. This was not "realistic", this was "hur hur Fatman and Red Robin!"
__________________
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #15
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Mostly for the body shaming. It's not a "realistic" photoshopping... it's a "now they're fat" photoshop. The article should have been titled "what comic book characters would look like if they were fat." If these characters were real they would be in ridiculous shape just from the training required to do what they do. Maybe Superman, less so.

And Aquaman would be in the best shape of them all since he swims all day and eats nothing but seaweed and fish.
They'd be in impeccable shape, sure....but not all the same shape.
Michael Phelps isn't built like Tom Brady.

Spoiler:

__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #16
mrmaczaps
Mad Scientist
 
mrmaczaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,448
Yeah. None of those look right... lol
Fighters and supernaturally fit aliens from other planets and guys that are part fish aren't going to get tubby... for the ladies depicted, a LOT of the women bodybuilders are small chested...

Not fat shaming but a good indication of proper & healthy eating... which my generation really didn't get enough of... you would think they would do hero posters for going to the gym... get and keep people up and moving... as someone with a health issue that makes wanting to get up and move a bit more troublesome than someone without the issue, it ain't easy to even want to move...
__________________
Mr Maczaps
Mr Maczaps Comics
Mr Maczaps: The Collection
Mr Maczaps Comics on Facebook
Shellback on Facebook
Turtle Power Entertainment

Email me at: mrmaczapscomics@gmail.com

Looking for: SNES TMNT and any other video games. Also Movie Star Mikey giant nunchucks! Two! CHEAP! *not buying right now, but plenty to trade* #damntumor

Buy from MyComicShop.com
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 10,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Yeah. None of those look right... lol
Fighters and supernaturally fit aliens from other planets and guys that are part fish aren't going to get tubby... for the ladies depicted, a LOT of the women bodybuilders are small chested...

Not fat shaming but a good indication of proper & healthy eating... which my generation really didn't get enough of... you would think they would do hero posters for going to the gym... get and keep people up and moving... as someone with a health issue that makes wanting to get up and move a bit more troublesome than someone without the issue, it ain't easy to even want to move...
It's normalizing obesity, which isn't helpful for anyone. It's something we should be encouraged to fight, not be encouraged to accept.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It's normalizing obesity, which isn't helpful for anyone. It's something we should be encouraged to fight, not be encouraged to accept.
Just so I'm clear.
You want to use images designed to be appealing to the gaze of one subset of people as a means to inspire all people towards a healthier living standard.

Yeah. Good luck with that.
I have Harley's rack. Know how I got it? Because I'm 20 lbs overweight and have a genetic predisposition towards carrying that weight in my torso.

If this were really about healthier living, and not about another image in some dude's spank bank, then there'd be more than one body type represented.

So please, you can take your concern trolling and shove it.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #19
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,331
This is stupid. It's like fat people forget that skinny, fit, and buff people are realistic, too. They exist.
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #20
Guile
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: America
Posts: 46
To be honest, it just looks plain stupid...
Guile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.