The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #21
robb0226
Random Punk

Ideal game... in my opinion

Give me some side scrolling beat-em up with 4 player local/online co-op with RPG elements. Sort of a blend of TMNT arcade games, Shovel Knight, and River City Randsom. With some good people working on it, something simple like that would work in my mind.

Have you ever seen a turtle get down? Slammin' and jammin' to the new swing sound.
robb0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #22
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
2, actually. They did a plug & play sorta thing for the 4kids series.
I feel like if you take into consideration what it is, they did amazing work with that. It's a plug 'n' play so if you expect anything blockbuster status, it's not gonna happen... but it had nice graphics and didn't play like garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Got my fingers crossed for Capcom to make a new TMNT 2D fighter!
Sadly (and I do mean that, because this would be the best thing ever for me), this is very unlikely to happen. Capcom hasn't been doing superb financially as of late, to the point where Street Fighter 5 only happened because Sony financed it. They've canned every Mega Man project in the past few years that hasn't been a rerelease or mobile game (or both), Resident Evil 6 was considered a low point in not only the franchise's history but gaming history overall, and Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono can't even get the Darkstalkers project he wants to do off the ground. Capcom barely does fighters outside of Street Fighter these days anyway, and even less so licensed fighters anymore. The Marvel vs. series only keeps happening due to its legacy as well as the fact that Marvel/Disney is, like Sony, very likely footing some of the bill.

2D licensed fighters are dead overall anyway... you might get some anime fighters from the likes of Bandai-Namco, but that's about it. Even the Smash-esque platform fighter is dwindling when it comes to licensed fighters... I can only think of one that was released in the last few years. Pretty much the only recourse I could see is if Bandai-Namco got the license somehow (and even then it wouldn't be handled by their top-tier teams like Tekken and SoulCalibur) or if somehow an indie developer got a crack at this. And even in these two cases, I doubt it'd be passable.

So yeah, if Activision has indeed dropped or tanked the license, I am disappointed that this'd be the first "era" where we didn't get some sort of fighting game. Because of who I am, I'd prefer a s**t fighting game to no fighting game.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #23
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Can't say I'll shed any tears over this. Out of the Shadows was a disappointment, and I had high hopes for Mutants in Manhattan before the reviews came in. Which is a shame considering PlantinumGames did a great job on Transformers: Devastation.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
2D licensed fighters are dead overall anyway...
And are just recycling the same sh*t over and over again. Since Virtua Fighter and Tekken and even Mortal Kombat (up until the last couple games, when they reverted) raised the bar to 3D... Capcom is still sitting there peddling their 2D-in-disguise fighters. They look and play like every Capcom fighter you've ever played since 1992. Booooring.

Whatever happened to Tekken X Street Fighter? Unlike Street Fighter X Tekken it was supposed to allow full 3D motion. Was looking forward to that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #25
CyberCubed
Overlord

Guys, the Japanese game industry, outside of Nintendo, is practically dead at this point. Konami, Capcom, Square, Namco, etc. are all nothing more than shadows of their former selves. Even Nintendo is struggling despite their modern games still being excellent. Konami barely even makes games anymore and the MGS series is practically on life support now. All Capcom has are fighters and their hopes to reinvent Resident Evil. Square is basically a publishing arm now, FF 15 bombed in Japan.

Nowadays all the big games come from the west like Naughty Dog, Bioware, EA, Rockstar, Activision, Ubisoft, etc.

This isn't the 90's anymore, people. Or even the early 2000's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #26
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Guys, the Japanese game industry, outside of Nintendo, is practically dead at this point. Konami, Capcom, Square, Namco, etc. are all nothing more than shadows of their former selves. Even Nintendo is struggling despite their modern games still being excellent. Konami barely even makes games anymore and the MGS series is practically on life support now. All Capcom has are fighters and their hopes to reinvent Resident Evil. Square is basically a publishing arm now, FF 15 bombed in Japan.

Nowadays all the big games come from the west like Naughty Dog, Bioware, EA, Rockstar, Activision, Ubisoft, etc.

This isn't the 90's anymore, people. Or even the early 2000's.
I'm pretty sure Atlus and Platinum are still going strong
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
FF 15 bombed in Japan.
Really? I'm interested in this.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #28
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well maybe "bomb" is too strong of a word but FF has seen better days

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/final-f...tly-low-572904
Old 01-06-2017, 01:00 AM   #29
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post

Sadly (and I do mean that, because this would be the best thing ever for me), this is very unlikely to happen. Capcom hasn't been doing superb financially as of late, to the point where Street Fighter 5 only happened because Sony financed it. They've canned every Mega Man project in the past few years that hasn't been a rerelease or mobile game (or both), Resident Evil 6 was considered a low point in not only the franchise's history but gaming history overall, and Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono can't even get the Darkstalkers project he wants to do off the ground. Capcom barely does fighters outside of Street Fighter these days anyway, and even less so licensed fighters anymore. The Marvel vs. series only keeps happening due to its legacy as well as the fact that Marvel/Disney is, like Sony, very likely footing some of the bill.

2D licensed fighters are dead overall anyway... you might get some anime fighters from the likes of Bandai-Namco, but that's about it. Even the Smash-esque platform fighter is dwindling when it comes to licensed fighters... I can only think of one that was released in the last few years. Pretty much the only recourse I could see is if Bandai-Namco got the license somehow (and even then it wouldn't be handled by their top-tier teams like Tekken and SoulCalibur) or if somehow an indie developer got a crack at this. And even in these two cases, I doubt it'd be passable.

So yeah, if Activision has indeed dropped or tanked the license, I am disappointed that this'd be the first "era" where we didn't get some sort of fighting game. Because of who I am, I'd prefer a s**t fighting game to no fighting game.
As the old saying goes, "you can never step into the same river twice!"

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:35 AM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1322896

Console gaming in general is dying in Japan. They prefer playing games on handhelds like 3DS or mobile phones. Hence why Nintendo's next console is a handheld hybrid.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #31
Spitfire
Writer • Director

I find it odd Ninja Turtles is a blockbuster franchise and yet to receive a decent game since the original heyday. It commands the merchandising power that almost rivals Star Wars. It's a literal license to print money. If you give the Turtles to a triple A game developer they could easily make a title that gets Arkham series recognition. I throw that out specifically because gameplay wise I think that series mirrors the elements a Ninja Turtle game needs. Action, stealth, and open-world with clever ways to navigate. Batman was in the doghouse video game wise before the Arkham games. Goes to show it just takes one good studio to turn that around.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #32
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

You know, I want to see what a TMNT Souls like game would look like. Its never going to happen but I'm curious to see what it looks like.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

TMNT needs the right game developer that can take it seriously.

The problem they had with Mutants in Manhattan was that it wasn't made by the primary developers of Platinum Games, It was made by different division of Platinum Games whose previous game was poorly received.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #34
sdp
-

Like it or not the new movie failing is causing all of this. Nick on the verge of cancellation? Activision not renewing the license? They don't see money on the franchise anymore. I don't see anyone picking up the license anytime soon.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #35
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Like it or not the new movie failing is causing all of this. Nick on the verge of cancellation? Activision not renewing the license? They don't see money on the franchise anymore. I don't see anyone picking up the license anytime soon.
Indeed, for better or worse, most of entertainment culture is a film-dependent world!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well the Nick cartoon had a good run, although I wish it got at least 7 seasons. It'll have 124 episodes by the time Season 5 ends, so it did last quite a while. Too bad it didn't reach 150 episodes.

The IDW comics are still going strong and the main series will easily reach issue #100, we're only up to issue #66 now. In fact I predict the IDW comics will have a 10-15 year run.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #37
AquaParade
Banned

This is excellent news. Now there's a chance the rights end up in much better hands.

TMNT have a pretty reputable legacy in the gaming industry. People remember the Konami beat em up's from back in the day with fondness. No guarentee's, but at least now there's a fair chance that they end up in good hands.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #38
CyberCubed
Overlord

Konami's 2k3 games were a mixed bag, then Ubisoft dropped the ball, and then Activision did.

We're not exactly swimming in quality games since the 2000's.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #39
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Konami's 2k3 games were a mixed bag, then Ubisoft dropped the ball, and then Activision did.

We're not exactly swimming in quality games since the 2000's.
People liked Ubisoft's 2007 TMNT Game Boy Advance title. I'd argue their console 2007 TMNT game was also pretty good.
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:45 PM   #40
Powder
So tired of this place

Totally, I've replayed both a whole bunch. The DS one, on the other hand...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
activision, video games