The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What did you prefer as a child: Turtle Variants or Original Characters?
Turtle Variants 11 20.00%
Original Characters 44 80.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
funatic
Mad Scientist

Childhood Preference: Turtle Variants vs. Original Mutants

I've often heard that the turtle variant figures were the best-selling in the original line. You know, random profession/sport/wacky action + turtle designs. However, when I was a kid I found them so much less interesting than the original mutant figures, and was always kind of bummed when I opened up yet another turtle in a costume at Christmas. I'm curious, did others feel this way as well?

I'm wondering if the turtles just sold the best because the parents could only remember their kids' favorite turtle, or just assumed a randomly dressed turtle was the most crucial character since it was at least in the brand name.

Does anyone know the data on the more recent Playmates lines? I wonder if this still holds true (the prevalence of turtle variants suggests so) or if having a new generation of parents actually familiar with the IP has made the wider cast more wanted. Or maybe I'm just in the minority here? What was your preference as a kid: turtle variants or original characters?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
mikey0
Foot Elite

The original hard head turtles, hard head Shredder, and blue stripe April were all sold out in the very early 1990s (1990 to early 1991), so parents had no choice but to get their children a Wacky Action variant or disguised turtle variant. Some of the original hard head turtles (Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo on the 1990 reissue cards) were still hard to find towards the end of the ‘91 to ‘93 era of the original Playmates toy line.

The last two live action movies, numerous turtle variants, and Michelangelo using the grappling hook in the CBS Saturday morning cartoon all helped to sink the original Playmates toy line.

The best turtle variants were the Movie Star Turtles, but those figures were 3 years too late. The original Playmates toy line never recovered from the onslaught of turtle variants in the fall of 1991.

The original Playmates toy line stayed on Christmas lists until 1995 when newer toys like Beanie Babies took over.

The first TMNT toy line was the best toy line of the 1990s nonetheless.

Last edited by mikey0; 04-24-2020 at 11:40 AM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Did ANYONE like the Turtle Variants as a kid?

Besides like the Undercover / Central Park Flasher trenchcoat variants, which I always wanted but never got?
Old 04-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

I was often disappointed with the turtle variants, but it was so hard to find the regular turtles that I'd settle for them. Couldn't believe my luck when I found a used Leonardo at Goodwill store around the mid 90's. It was pretty much all I ever wanted at that point in time.

So, I once was taken to Target, and with the money my mother had sent me off, my grandpa bought me the beach variant of Donatello, complete with a visor and all that jazz, but I was extremely disappointed to discover one of his hands was open-palmed, as if he were preparing to strike a volleyball, and wouldn't be suitable at all for holding weapons.
Like an ass, I tried to get my grandpa to return it, and upon realizing what a self-centered little terror I was becoming, scolded me and explained that it's not fair to take it back just because I've decided it's not what I want upon seeing it in full. Grandpa scolded me a lot now that I think about it.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
Powder
So tired of this place

I preferred original mutant characters, naturally, but I always had an affinity for turtle variants, too, as long as they looked "cool" or otherwise amused me. That hasn't carried over much, though. The 90's variants are only good 'cause they're so 90's, for the most part. But seriously, a lot of variants were based on other iterations (Live action films, anime, Archie, even Mirage) so it was easy to love them. Others, like say being a Rock N Roll star, monster, explorer, these were the kinds of things we'd see portrayed in the pin ups & portfolio posters of Mirage, or in silly one-off stories from TMNT Magazine, etc. I took the bait on the majority of it. I just didn't like the cavalry, sports, or wild west stuff, or gimmick toys that broke up the sculpt too much.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Sumac
Banned

I like both.
But sadly in Russia it was almost impossible to find real TMNT toys after beginning of the 90s, so I've seen most of those toys only on photos. But, despite how goofy some of the variants looked, sculpting work was impeccable. I have Raph Space Cadet and Mike Sewer Surfer and they look absolutely amazing (and Leo with Storage Shell).
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
mikey0
Foot Elite

Bodacious Birthday Crazy Clownin’ Mike, Farmer Mike, and Bandito Bashin’ Mike were the worst turtle variants out of them all.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #8
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
Bodacious Birthday Crazy Clownin’ Mike, Farmer Mike, and Bandito Bashin’ Mike were the worst turtle variants out of them all.
Lies! Bandito Bashin' Mike is an amazing figure, and Farmer Mike is currently standing in my kitchen window. Seriously--he's one of the about a dozen figures I have set up around the house.

And in general, I loved most of the variants. The Rock N Rollers, Classic Rocker Leo especially, and the Mutant Military turtles are incredible. Didn't care as much for the sports turtles, but that was more because their gimmicks rendered them almost unplayable than anything to do with the sculpts, which I thought were mostly cool.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
funatic
Mad Scientist

Well it definitely looks like I'm not alone in this opinion, lol. I still wonder why they sold the best. Am I right that parents buying them were just betting on the turtles being what their kids want, no matter how many variations they get? Perhaps Playmates keeps producing them because they can re-use certain body part molds more often? Or it's just easier from a design perspective and saves time/money paying the designers? Are there any published sales figures per figure for the current toyline?
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #10
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I was only interested in characters I recognized and liked from the Fred Wolf Cartoon and Archie Comics.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:18 AM   #11
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

The barrage of variants is what made me lose interest at the time. I'm not sure, but are there any statistics on variants produced vs. original characters produced? I know most Batman villains were one per case with the rest being Batman figures.
I did like the original Wacky Actions, but that was before it got ridiculous.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #12
mikey0
Foot Elite

Some of the best turtle variants were the ones that resembled the original turtle figures like the Head Droppin Turtles and Wacky Action figures.

Last edited by mikey0; 07-22-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #13
mikey0
Foot Elite

The authors of Buzzfeed slammed the earliest turtle variants once again in this article: https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalind...d-to-play-with
Old 07-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #14
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The authors of Buzzfeed slammed the earliest turtle variants once again in this article: https://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalind...d-to-play-with
Literally the only thing the article says about TMNT is, "The random Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures that were dressed up in weird themes"

How is that "slamming" the variants? They're included on a list of toys may kids had.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Literally the only thing the article says about TMNT is, "The random Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles figures that were dressed up in weird themes"

How is that "slamming" the variants? They're included on a list of toys may kids had.
What makes them "weird themes"?
Old 07-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:57 PM   #17
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Is weird a pejorative?
Old 07-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

What, are you and I starting a "$10 Words Club" or something?

You're Alright, You.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #19
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
What, are you and I starting a "$10 Words Club" or something?

You're Alright, You.
Ditto!

(Was trying to embed a GIF of Weird Al accepting one of his 5 Grammys but can't seem to get it to work!
Old 07-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #20
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Is weird a pejorative?
Seems like it in this case.