The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
mg248
Mouser

When does TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze take place?

I've always wondered if T2 takes place directly after part 1.

April has a new apartment and the Turtles look like they've been there for a while (several pizza boxes, comics, toys, etc.).

However, we then see Shredder return from the garbage dump. Tatsu is still visibly upset that Shredder is gone, so it couldn't have been that long ago. How long has Shredder been gone?

Just some random questions.
mg248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Probably less of a "new apartment" as much as it was redesigned for the sequel, probably to account for Splinter making his way down the stairs and the turtles and April having a private rooftop without drawing any attention.

I imagine this all takes place within 48 hours of the events of the finale, which just makes Casey's absence all the more jarring.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Wasn't it one year later?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Wasn't it one year later?
Are you telling me that Shredder, in addition to falling from a building and into a garbage compactor, also survived a year long coma in a trash pile?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Are you telling me that Shredder, in addition to falling from a building and into a garbage compactor, also survived a year long coma in a trash pile?
Fits right in with other concepts like Super Shredder being destroyed by falling wood.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"A couple of days," as best as I could ever figure.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"A couple of days," as best as I could ever figure.
Yeah I'm with you on this one. The second film almost directly follows on from the first.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Definitely within 48 hours, especially when you consider the scene of the Foot retreating to the junkyard still exhausted from the fight.

"Is this it?"
"Everyone else must have been picked up."
"Well, maybe they didn't find us."
"Hey, we all knew the junkyard was our fallback spot."

...followed by Tatsu's...

"Our father, gone! They will pay! I, Tatsu, now lead. Let any who challenge step forward."
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I have memories of the words "one year later" showing up when the landfill scenes begin (it may have been in the comic adaption).
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I assume Secret of the Ooze takes place shortly after the first film.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
Ginrai
Random Punk

Raph actually says at one point: “Hey! Maybe someone’s got something about our fight last night!” while everyone is sitting in April’s apartment watching television.
Ginrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:49 PM   #12
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I thought it happened immediately afterward. The TMNT were on the roof on the shopping mall that was being robbed. I assumed it was he same one which Splinter dropped Shredder into the garbage truck. The same garbage truck which carries Shredder to the Foot fallback spot, the junk yard.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Probably less of a "new apartment" as much as it was redesigned for the sequel, probably to account for Splinter making his way down the stairs and the turtles and April having a private rooftop without drawing any attention.
April's apartment burned down with the shop during the first film. It wasn't redesigned at all. It's literally a different apartment in a completely different part of the city. Also, there would be no need to redesign it for those reasons, considering that April's older apartment didn't exactly look like a neighborhood people would want to walk around at night and they didn't seem to care about showing the Turtles standing in the middle of the street, yelling "Did she say pizza?"

Quote:
Raph actually says at one point: “Hey! Maybe someone’s got something about our fight last night!” while everyone is sitting in April’s apartment watching television.
They're referring to the fight at the mall, I believe. Isn't that when they're watching April's broadcast with Jordan Perry?

The movie seems to imply that it's right after the first film in the early scenes with Shredder and the foot, but that the April and the Turtles have been at the apartment for a while during their early scenes. It's definitely implied that April is a regular customers of Keno, that he delivers pizza to her apartment very often, and that he's on a first name basis with her. The Turtles' discussion about Shredder's presumed demise makes it feel like some time has passed and a spy was also placed in April's crew and she seems familiar with him. (Also, if anyone says they can buy and completely furnish a new apartment in 48 hours, they're either someone of great wealth and importance or completely full of it.) And then there's April's boss, who is a different person altogether.

My best guess? The filmmakers just didn't think things through and/or just did what they wanted. The film came out the year after the first film, which is a very short gap between sequels. They were probably just trying to make it as fast as they could to capitalize on the franchise's popularity and the first film's profitable success.

With the loss of the urban street vibe, many of the first film's characters including Casey), the darker tone, as well as recasting April and entirely upgrading the quality of her surroundings, SOTO isn't a prime example of consistency.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 03-18-2018 at 05:46 PM.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

It took place a day or two after. I don't see the big mystery here.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #15
newhire13
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginrai View Post
He was talking about the opening fight scene.

But yeah, probably inside of a month. Enough to establish that the turtles are over staying their welcome (making enough noise that April's neighbors question what she's doing and ordering enough pizza that Keno comments on it), April has a new home (her apartment was above the store that burned down in the first one), the on the run Foot Clan are trying to rebuild, and Shredder managed to survive.

Honestly, probably not best to look that deeply into it. Doesn't make a ton of sense even at surface level lol.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:43 PM   #16
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhire13 View Post
Honestly, probably not best to look that deeply into it. Doesn't make a ton of sense even at surface level lol.
I just don't think it was planned out very well. To be honest, I've never thought about the apartment anomaly until I saw this thread, but yeah, it's a headscratcher.

To be honest, Shredder's survival had never made sense to me. He would've been crushed and mangled. But it's whatever. Secret of the Ooze is kinda like the sequel to a more kid-friendly version of the first film that never happened.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #17
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
With the loss of the urban street vibe,
Huh? What about the scene where Keno trains with the Foot?

I work in concealment (throws smoke ball).

cough cough That didn't work cough cough...
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:02 AM   #18
Welmanshire
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I thought it happened immediately afterward. The TMNT were on the roof on the shopping mall that was being robbed. I assumed it was he same one which Splinter dropped Shredder into the garbage truck. The same garbage truck which carries Shredder to the Foot fallback spot, the junk yard.
April has a new apartment that she has moved into. The turtles not only return to that apartment, but have clearly been living there for a while (hence the mess and the comment from the pizza guy "we've got another one for that O'Neil lady again").

The Shredder being stuck in a garbage dump with what we assume has no access to food or water, unless he ate trash to survive. I'd say no longer than a week after the first film when you take into consideration that a human can go about a week without water.
Welmanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
April's apartment burned down with the shop during the first film. It wasn't redesigned at all. It's literally a different apartment in a completely different part of the city. Also, there would be no need to redesign it for those reasons, considering that April's older apartment didn't exactly look like a neighborhood people would want to walk around at night and they didn't seem to care about showing the Turtles standing in the middle of the street, yelling "Did she say pizza?"
I guess I always mentally assumed April had an apartment "closer to work" than her dwelling in the 2nd Time Around Store. But that's probably not right.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote