The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

What about, you know, profit? How is a third movie profitable?

Alright, so TMNT 2014 barely made enough movie to justify a sequel in the first place. And OotS probably didn't even break even. Now they greenlit another movie two years later? Granted, I didn't expect TMNT movie projects were gonna be dead forever, but two years after the last piece of crap? This might not really be a sequel and the same exact people might not be involved, but it's still the same production house that failed the last two times. Why give the franchise and the same producers another chance at this?

Is this license maintenance like with Fant4stic? Is there a contract loophole? Something's fishy about all of this.

This is not another thread about how we feel, it's about trying to figure out the logic behind this. Because to me, none of this makes sense, no producer in their right mind would do this.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

There's nothing fishy about this, and there's nothing going on like with Fantastic 4 and Fox, Viacom owns the IP and they don't need to create movies to keep the franchise, it's theirs to do as they please.

They just payed for the IP and they want to capitalize on it, that's it, they're just hoping the new show is enough to create interest on the franchise and want to create a new movie series to go with it, that's it, going with Paramount again is just to cut costs, staying in-house will always be cheaper and will maximize revenue because there's less people involved to split the profits.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

The timing doesn't seem all that off to me. As Rob Paulsen has long said, the TMNT are "evergreen", after all.

That said, the fact it's Platinum Dunes (& the same 3 producers, no less) does make me think it might be a "Better use this than lose this" situation.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:17 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
However, both were made before the arrival of chairman Jim Gianopulos, who has made it a priority to clean up the studio’s slate and refocus its franchises. Insiders are hoping to bring a patina of quality as they relaunch the brand.
I figured it's in large part an effort by that guy I guess wanting to straighten out the direction of PD, the quality it puts out, and... I guess wants TMNT to be one of its tent poles despite the studio flubbing up the last attempts.

I mean, it sucks that they're still stuck in the hands of PD, but until the time that someone else is allowed to handle them, I guess I'm at least glad the Turtles are still seen as a viable property for film rather than be blamed for the last two missing the mark, like I was afraid might happen.

But with what's going on with some companies lately, if we're lucky maybe someone else will one day buy Platinum Dunes and get the contracts.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

The only thing I can think of is that some king of payoff still makes the film production worth it. Now I could only make wild guesses as what kind of payoff that is.

Could be one thing or several things. It keeps TMNT in the spot light even if in a negative way. Like advertising and such. Brand exposure and whatnot. Also maybe more profit in video sales or TV deals when it’s on TV and Netflix. Also the toys and general merchandise.

I’m just thinking that a profit in box office apparently seems like a non factor. But it’s still must be worth investing in somehow.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
dragonside
Hench Mutant

if anything, there's a lot of superhero movies coming out...

I can't see how this third movie could be profitable.

A reboot might stir enough interest for a break even scenario.

A third movie based on the original designs would flop hard. So I guess its as good a time as ever to revitalize the movie side.
dragonside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

If they did use the designs from before but tweaked them a bit, maybe they aught to put it to a public vote... Which tweaked version could you most tolerate? (And yes, I know some would want a complete redesign option, but that theoretical vote is for tweaks of the existing designs.)

Rather than being so secretive like they were before, at least with 2014 for so long. (Which was prob a mistake as no one had sufficient time to get used to it first.)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
dragonside
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
If they did use the designs from before but tweaked them a bit, maybe they aught to put it to a public vote... Which tweaked version could you most tolerate? (And yes, I know some would want a complete redesign option, but that theoretical vote is for tweaks of the existing designs.)

Rather than being so secretive like they were before, at least with 2014 for so long. (Which was prob a mistake as no one had sufficient time to get used to it first.)

Now, if its anything like the pic that you have of Leo, I'd totally buy into a revised look. You know the main issue with the first two was just the humans and the stories were your typical TMNT fare. Fight Shredder, Fight Krang, find some mcguffins.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #9
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilSpooky View Post
There's nothing fishy about this, and there's nothing going on like with Fantastic 4 and Fox, Viacom owns the IP and they don't need to create movies to keep the franchise, it's theirs to do as they please.
Yeah but Platinum Dunes doesn't, what if they were contracted for three movies and are allowed to make a third one as long as it's in x amount of time?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:09 AM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

It was just announced. It’ll be at least another 2 years to be made and released.

Assuming it starts production in 2019 it’ll be 4 years since Oots (at the soonest). That’s a significant amount of time to have passed to let people get interested again and forget the first 2.

Yes it’s very surprising that it’s PD again but having different people behind it and it being an actual new movie not connected to the last makes it believable.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:15 AM   #11
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
It was just announced. It’ll be at least another 2 years to be made and released.

Assuming it starts production in 2019 it’ll be 4 years since Oots (at the soonest). That’s a significant amount of time to have passed to let people get interested again and forget the first 2.

Yes it’s very surprising that it’s PD again but having different people behind it and it being an actual new movie not connected to the last makes it believable.
Hopefully this also means Michael Bay can keep his stinking paws off of it and it won't have a portal in the sky scene
Old 06-24-2018, 01:48 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

0 chance it will be connected to the last two movies. This is not "a third movie."
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:31 AM   #13
frank_one
Mad Scientist

What if it is somehow based on the new animated series?
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
What if it is somehow based on the new animated series?
Throwing money at a movie based on an unproven cartoon show not even released yet? Probably -100% chance of that.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:47 AM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
0 chance it will be connected to the last two movies. This is not "a third movie."
No but it is the third movie movie from the same producers and studio.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I dunnoooo... In theory you could do it in the same vein as a comics series, with a different writer and art style, but still within the same continuity.

We know nothing solid other than the writer's name and PD's involvement. I wouldn't go making too many assumptions yet, personally. Not every source is even sure if it's a true reboot or to what extent it is one since we have zero direct quotes from those involved. (Hell, it's so early they could change their mind on that or anything else.)
Old 06-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #17
dragonside
Hench Mutant

its kind of like the hulk

at some point they were like screw it, lets keep it in the continuity, but completely change the actor.

LOL maybe it'll be like that... since they already tried it with the Shredder
Old 06-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonside View Post
its kind of like the hulk

at some point they were like screw it, lets keep it in the continuity, but completely change the actor.

LOL maybe it'll be like that... since they already tried it with the Shredder
You have to look at it from the perspective of the bankers. This reboot didn't work, we're starting fresh next time.

Not equivalent to Hulk. Marvel had nothing to do with "HULK."
Old 06-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #19
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

How did these movies do in China?
Because if they did really well, that's why we're getting the third one.

Ooooh, I wonder if the Chinese translation is better.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:19 AM   #20
Toitlefan
Hench Mutant

The timing of this movie and it’s producers thoughts of profit make me think its a full reboot. I would think they have done their homework and did some research as to why the first 2 didn’t perform as well as they hoped. I can’t help but to be optimistic!
Toitlefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
third movie