The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
neatoman
Emperor

The lack of experience

I couldn't help but notice that the driving forces behind the PD seemed to be rather inexperienced making big budget movies.

Josh Appelbaum had only written a single movie before the first PD TMNT, mostly just some TV episodes. Same thing with André Nemec. Jonathan Liebesman and Evan Daugherty did actually have a notable record (Liebesman directed five movies and Daugherty wrote four). Of course, Daugherty wasn't part of the second one and Liebesman was replaced by Green, once again someone who had only worked on one movie before.

Not that Jonathan Liebesman and Evan Daugherty are especially good film makers, but there was a noticable drop in quality for the second movie. So I wonder how much the crew's experience had an impact on the quality of these movies.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I guess Dave Green likes the science fiction elements, as he directed Earth to Echo (2014) before.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I guess Dave Green likes the science fiction elements, as he directed Earth to Echo (2014) before.
I thought David Green did a good job on Out Of The Shadows. I loved the Scifi elements. Its always been my favorite parts about TMNT in general. All the grounded stuff involving the foot clan can sometimes get a little stale. As someone who loves Scifi. It always brightens my day when they bring up those Scifi Elements on the shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I couldn't help but notice that the driving forces behind the PD seemed to be rather inexperienced making big budget movies.

Josh Appelbaum had only written a single movie before the first PD TMNT, mostly just some TV episodes. Same thing with André Nemec. Jonathan Liebesman and Evan Daugherty did actually have a notable record (Liebesman directed five movies and Daugherty wrote four). Of course, Daugherty wasn't part of the second one and Liebesman was replaced by Green, once again someone who had only worked on one movie before.

Not that Jonathan Liebesman and Evan Daugherty are especially good film makers, but there was a noticable drop in quality for the second movie. So I wonder how much the crew's experience had an impact on the quality of these movies.
I don't think the lack of experience has to do with directing big budget movies. But rather. Understanding the source material. Most often they pick and choose from the different source material that is out there for TMNT.

I think they should seriously look at the IDW comic for inspiration. There's enough good things on there that can work as a big budget movie.

Last year there was an article about the director from the Pete's Dragon Remake. And he wanted to make a TMNT movie. Maybe they should hire him to direct the 3rd movie.

Also they should go dark if they need to. The problem is Nickelodeon would be breathing down there necks to make sure it stays family friendly. Even if its PG-13.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 07-25-2018 at 08:13 AM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I didn't think David Green did too bad overall with what he had to work with, but I do agree and noticed that too. In fact saying to myself again a couple days go, why can't they get anyone more proven? I mean, yet again with the newest writer... Maybe he's talented, I dunno, I hope so and don't want to judge too quick and I'm glad they finally considered a new writer like they should have last time, but we're still once again left uncertain with a guy who has a very short filmography.

And in a way I feel bad for these guys like this new writer and the last director. The last thing anyone probably wants when the film work history is short is for a project to totally bomb, possibly due to other forces outside their control that are still involved. Are some of the more proven people just already well aware to stay away from these producers? Thus they hire their already established contacts (such as the last writers) because it's easier and they care so little or these new guys who are still trying to build up that resume and are willing to deal with them?

I wish someone BIG (or at least very well proven) cared enough to go to Nick/Viacom/Paramount and say, Look, hand them to me, I'll handle this, and blow it out of the water. Yeah, I'm sure it probably doesn't work that way, but if the likes of a respected film maker such as Spielberg can surprisingly be behind a film like Ready Player One (so technically they've been in a Spielberg film, albeit for 30 seconds? lol), then surely a bigger name can be interested in these poor boys. If people are going to try to take them to comic/superhero blockbuster type films, they deserve every single moment of the same attention and consideration that some other films and their associated characters have received in some of the better comic films out there.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 07-25-2018 at 10:06 AM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
I don't think the lack of experience has to do with directing big budget movies.
https://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/ri...ey-1201912138/

“When you get a guy who’s done a low-budget movie and you suddenly give him $180 million, it makes no sense whatsoever. It’s f***in’ stupid. You know what the reshoots cost?” he asks, apparently rhetorically.

“Millions! Millions,” he answers. “You can get me for my fee, which is heavy, but I’ll be under budget and on time. This is where experience does matter, it’s as simple as that! It can make you dull as dishwater, but if you’re really experienced and you know what you’re doing, it’s ****ing essential. Grow into it, little by little. Start low-budget, get a little bit bigger, maybe after $20 million, you can go to $80. But don’t suddenly go to $160.”

And he's right.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:07 AM   #6
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Something also to keep in mind about screenwriters is that they are writing far more scripts than are being produced. Appelbaum & Nemec had done work on a previous version of the 21 Jump Street film and wrote the unproduced remake of The Warriors. These are only two projects we actually know about that they worked on, but it goes to show that screenwriters have done far more work than they have to show for it unfortunately.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
Galactus
Foot Elite

You could even ague the same for Platinum Dunes as a production company.

All they ever did was low budget horror remakes and they are all of a sudden were the handed to keys to a Summer blockbuster. What made anyone think they were ready for that?

I have this suspicion that if Paramount couldn't get Michael Bay to direct they thought the next best thing was getting him to produce via a company he part owns. The problem is Platinum Dunes is still a small company with no experience of handling a movie based on a global multi media franchise; the kind of movie Paramount relies on to make enough money to fund almost all their other movies.

I am still surprised that after the mess they've made of the movies not only does Paramount still want them to produce but they are still willing. Like I said they are a small company and we know they had to turn down projects to dedicate themselves to TMNT. I suppose they get paid either way but right now they seem intent on turning their reputation as hacks around but surely that would be better done by continuing to make better movies that play comfortably in their wheel house like Quiet Room not trying for a hail Mary with TMNT especially as after the very visible failure of the last one. If they fumbled with the property when everything was aligned it's favor then how badly will it do now that it has rebuild a lot of faith with the public.

As for Dave Green. I think he stepped up rather admirably and it's difficult to know which mistakes in Out Of The Shadows are because of him a director or because of the producers. You really need a director with a certain amount of vision and clout to stand up to stand up and interference and see it through. Jonathan Liebesman had a reasonable enough experience in the business and was still forced to have over half of the 2014 re-worked to Bay's specification.

Sadly I doubt their's many secret TMNT fans among Hollywood's best directors that would be willing to take it on but I'd be willing to bet there would be a few open enough to the idea...or they would be if they didn't have to rebuild it from the mess the last movie left the series in.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #8
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-Happy View Post
Something also to keep in mind about screenwriters is that they are writing far more scripts than are being produced. Appelbaum & Nemec had done work on a previous version of the 21 Jump Street film and wrote the unproduced remake of The Warriors. These are only two projects we actually know about that they worked on, but it goes to show that screenwriters have done far more work than they have to show for it unfortunately.
I believe Appelbaum and Nemec worked together on Iron Man, as well.

I would love to read their early ideas on TMNT out of sheer curiosity.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote