The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-22-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Call of Duty

Call of Duty is easily one of the most recognizable shooters and video games out there, having racked up billions of sales over the years. Its inevitable alot of us have played the games, or atleast have been exposed to them.

So, what is your experience with Call of Duty in general?

Me personally, my first exposure to Call of Duty was in August 2007 when me and my father went on vacation together. My father had some office work to do, so we went to the Internet cafe together, and he booked me a computer so I could kill time. On there, I remember one of the staff helped me put on a game where I had to pass a target training test. I was a big fan of these types of games, having been playing Counter-Strike alot back then, so I was excited.

I remember the training course involved throwing potatoes into houses as mock grenades, and the next level involved me fighting Germans in a world war 2 setting. I passed the training, but found the combat to be too difficult as I wasn't the best player back then It was only a year later that I remembered that the game I played was none other than Call of Duty 2.

However, while it was Call of Duty 2 that set a spark to one of my favourite video game franchises of all time, it was none other than the first Modern Warfare which truly sealed the deal. Like Call of Duty 2, it was my interest in first person shooter games like Counter-Strike which prompted me to try out Modern Warfare. However, the Modern setting was what set it apart from the slew of World War 2 shooters back then.

I instantly became a super-fan of the First Modern Warfare, and it instantly became not only my favourite shooter and Call of Duty of all time, but also one of my favourite games period. The story was superb, on the level of a great hollywood movie with memorable characters and setpieces, and the online never got boring. For many years, The First Modern Warfare was the only game I played (barring the Black Ops demo on PS3), despite me still being interested in the future Call of Duty titles.

Later on, I got Call of Duty: World at War, and enjoyed that game immensely as well, though not to the same fanatic level as Call of Duty 4. The World War 2 setting felt fresh once again after Modern Shooters became the new standard, and the brutality was surprising. Not to mention the Nazi Zombies game mode.

Like before, those two Call of Duty games were the only ones I owned for many years, but still followed future titles online to see what the story was and what maps there were etc. It was after Black Ops 2 that my interest in the franchise completely waned as it migrated onto the next generation of consoles. The only bit that intrigued me about Call of Duty nowdays was the remastered version of Modern Warfare, but I already have the original, so I don't see myself getting that anytime soon.

Recently, I bought Modern Warfare 2 and 3 for the PS3 for a very cheap price, complete with DLC, and have been enjoying them alot. Currently moving through the Modern Warfare 2 campaign (which feels so much better to play rather than watch through Youtube videos like I did back then) and the vast sea of solo options such as Spec Ops and survival mode make up for the fact that there aren't too many people playing online in 2018.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

My first COD game was World at War, brought it for 10 dollars and only played the campaign however what I played I really enjoyed. The American part was good but the Russian part was just fantastic overall. I also thought the campaign for Modern Warfare 1/ and black ops was also good. In terms of online they were decent but I think Black ops was my favorite of the three with the unique killstreaks and environments(Nuketown being my favorite). I sort of jump town when the series became really stupid and move on to Battlefield with some mixed feelings(Loved Bad Company 2, 4 was godawful, and 1 was good)
Old 04-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Got Call of Duty 4 in 2008, played it loved it, never played another one since.

They're all the same and I'd rather spend money on better games.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Got Call of Duty 4 in 2008, played it loved it, never played another one since.

They're all the same and I'd rather spend money on better games.
Nowdays Modern Warfare 2 and 3 are really cheap, great for experiencing the story after Call of Duty 4 if you're into the lore.

Multiplayer is awesome (though near dead on the ps3 as far as I know) but its the campaign thats my favourite thing about the franchise.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

I need to play shooters that have long good campaigns. There's plenty of other games in first person these days that mix RPG elements with shooting, or have stealth gameplay. The Dishonored series, Deus Ex, Bioshock, you can also play Evil Within 2 or even GTA V in first person on PS4, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote