The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > Questions/Comments/Suggestions

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Leogeddon
Stone Warrior

Donations

I'm wondering, if we were to have a donations set up right here (there is a mod for it, I'll link you up in a bit) could we have like a special upgrade to the member's profile? Like turtle shells for the rank (set up like the stars system in many places) or perhaps a color for the user group? Anything to sorta spice up one's profile would be awesome! Perhaps permission for new powers, who knows what you could think of! It'd be a nice little addition in my opinion.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=201284

Click me for group discussion!
Leogeddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #2
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Good idea, although it probably wouldn't work for these forums considering the fact that we haven't had anybody donate in 3½ years (not that I'm particularly in need of money, otherwise I would have made the donate link more obvious). Thanks for the suggestion, though.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

I dunno dude, they've got a point...people are crazy for exclusivity...I mean, just look at how proud people are of their post counts around here. I'm sure you could get people donating if you offered some sort of exclusive bonus.

To that point, you should really think about getting new apparel designs. Just cause the technodrome is a copywrited image, doesn't mean you couldn't have cool designs that wouldnt get you in trouble. Take this non-licensed shirt for example:

http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=7762

Clearly a ninja turtle shirt, and yet totally above board with the copyrights (I saw atleast 8 people, including myself, wearing this at NYCC09)
I would totally rock all sorts of drome stuff if the designs were neat. While the logo on the current merch isn't bad, it just doesn't translate very well to clothing.
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate

I could donate a few bucks without the promise of any bonuses at all. I just didn't know I could ever did that.

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

I think if there ever should be a benefit to donating to these boards, it should simply be a free t-shirt or something for one's own personal use, depending on the amount donated. If I'm not mistaken, there's a list (or was) of people who have donated in the past somewhere linked on the main site page. I feel it's praise enough just to be mentioned that way without flaunting it here. Collectively, our heads are engorged with pride as it is.

As for Archon's comment about the clothing, in my eyes, a black shirt with the word, "DROME" on it in big white letters would be fine for me.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
Krang
Admin and Sega Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Turtle View Post
I dunno dude, they've got a point...people are crazy for exclusivity...I mean, just look at how proud people are of their post counts around here. I'm sure you could get people donating if you offered some sort of exclusive bonus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KROW View Post
I think if there ever should be a benefit to donating to these boards, it should simply be a free t-shirt or something for one's own personal use, depending on the amount donated. If I'm not mistaken, there's a list (or was) of people who have donated in the past somewhere linked on the main site page. I feel it's praise enough just to be mentioned that way without flaunting it here. Collectively, our heads are engorged with pride as it is.
While you do have a good point, Archon, I agree with what KROW said in that I think donation status should be kept off the forums for the most part (the most I could see would be a small signature pic or something along those lines). As he pointed out, the names of everyone who donated are listed on the donations page. I also like the idea of free merchandise for people who donate at certain levels.

Quote:
To that point, you should really think about getting new apparel designs. Just cause the technodrome is a copywrited image, doesn't mean you couldn't have cool designs that wouldnt get you in trouble. Take this non-licensed shirt for example:

http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=7762

Clearly a ninja turtle shirt, and yet totally above board with the copyrights (I saw atleast 8 people, including myself, wearing this at NYCC09)
I would totally rock all sorts of drome stuff if the designs were neat. While the logo on the current merch isn't bad, it just doesn't translate very well to clothing.
Good idea, although I'm not a very good artist, so I'm not sure if I could come up with something that people would want to buy. The idea of having people contribute designs has been brought up in the past, but we would need to come up with some sort of legal agreement that the contributors would need to sign before submitting the design. I'm not sure if there's even enough interest to warrant looking into that further...

Quote:
As for Archon's comment about the clothing, in my eyes, a black shirt with the word, "DROME" on it in big white letters would be fine for me.
Now that's something I could do! What does everyone else think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mino View Post
I could donate a few bucks without the promise of any bonuses at all. I just didn't know I could ever did that.
Yes, we have a donation page linked off the main site. However, I've been looking to get away from Paypal for site donations due to some limitations they have. I'll probably update that page soon with a new payment method, most likely Amazon Payments.

"My motherboard's microchips are chomping at the... 'bit'. A little computer humor." --Krang, Welcome Back, Polarisoids
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself

Quote:

I kinda like "I'm a Dromer"
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #8
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Quote:
I kinda like "I'm a Dromer"
I like that too actually.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

I like "I'm a Dromer" as well. Perhaps we could get some ideas from the local artists here on the forums for shirts?
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

I am still in the progress of coloring it in, but I wanted to know if this would do for a shirt idea .
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

Well, copyrighted images won't work. I once asked Krang about using the eye of the Technodrome on the merch and he said it'd be a legal hassle. I'm sure using actual art of a Ninja Turtle is along the same lines.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:57 PM   #12
Leonardo87
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Well, copyrighted images won't work. I once asked Krang about using the eye of the Technodrome on the merch and he said it'd be a legal hassle. I'm sure using actual art of a Ninja Turtle is along the same lines.

oh ok, sorry about that
Leonardo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

I've been an artist for years, I'll see if I can come up with a t-shirt design that doesn't involve copyright issues. I have a creative mind, it shouldnt be THAT hard ot attain...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:10 AM   #14
cup-mikey-gertha
Hench Mutant

Good luck with the designs. Will be hoping to see 'em real soon. More power to us all!!!

cup-mikey-gertha is offline   Reply With Quote