The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

What is Dimension X?

Ever since the Fred Wolf Studios cartoon debuted back in December 1987, Dimension X has been prominent in Ninja Turtles lore.

Despite that, a lot of media have never stated what it is. Even within the same version, it often gives confusion.

In the Fred Wolf cartoon, many first got the impression of another dimension or universe, only to within the very next moment hear it's a distant galaxy.

The Archie comics at least were strict when they went the galaxy route (something I like).

The Nickelodeon cartoon seemed to go only the dimension route. But maybe it's a region of space where the Kraang have manipulated everything (time, space, physics). Maybe that region of space is somewhere in the Fred Wolf universe? (so whenever the Nickelodeon turtles go to Dimension X, they go to a strange region of space in the Fred Wolf universe)

I have managed to find parts of the Nickelodeon Showdown with Shredder novelization online, describing Dimension X as some kind of region of space.

The Platinum Dunes films mentioned some dimension, but we don't know much more.

I know this has been discussed before, years ago, but after all these crossovers it's time for a new thread. It needs a fresh beginning from scratch again.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 02-16-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Ever since the Fred Wolf Studios cartoon debuted back in December 1987, Dimension X has been prominent in Ninja Turtles lore.

Despite that, a lot of media have never stated what it is. Even within the same version, it often gives confusion.

In the Fred Wolf cartoon, many first got the impression of another dimension or universe, only to within the very next moment hear it's a distant galaxy.

The Archie comics at least were strict when they went the galaxy route (something I like).

The Nickelodeon cartoon seemed to go only the dimension route. But maybe it's a region of space where the Kraang have manipulated everything (time, space, physics). Maybe that region of space is somewhere in the Fred Wolf universe? (so whenever the Nickelodeon turtles go to Dimension X, they go to a strange region of space in the Fred Wolf universe)

I have managed to find parts of the Showdown With Shredder novelization online, describing Dimension X as some kind of region of space.

I know this has been discussed before, years ago, but after all these crossovers it's time for a new thread. It needs a fresh re-start.
You forgot the IDW comics version.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
You forgot the IDW comics version.
I have only caught some early issues even there, it seems to be unclear.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

It's a thing that should never have been spoken of out loud if even the creators couldn't be assed to figure it out before committing to it. Is what it is.

I promise you that not one person who worked on that show ever imagined that they'd need to answer this question. I mean, they should have thought that far ahead, but it goes to show just how little regard they had for their audience.

Regardless, if they can't be bothered, neither can I.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
I have only caught some early issues even there, it seems to be unclear.
Why make such a big deal out of it dude It is called dimeinsion X it is either a galaxy or another universe depending on version.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #6
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
It is called dimeinsion X it is either a galaxy or another universe depending on version.
The problem is it has been treated as both a dimension and a galaxy in the same versions.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I choose to believe its a different dimension rather than a galaxy, when choosing between the inconsistent portrayals in the Fred Wolf toon.

I don't know much about Dimension X from Archie and IDW, but I do believe that The Dimension X from Fred Wolf and Nick is meant to be the same place, due to some retcons by the Nick writers (such as Krang and Kraang Subprime being cousins, Krang having Nickelodeon Rock Soldiers) etc.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I don't really know why they bother with a different dimension, or even an alternate universe), when they could just use a different galaxy or solar system (I would go with solar system)

Pretty sure it's only because "Dimension X" sounds cooler and that's about it.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
ABrown
Banned

I assume it's a parallel dimension.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:

I have managed to find parts of the Showdown With Shredder novelization online, describing Dimension X as some kind of region of space.

I know this has been discussed before, years ago, but after all these crossovers it's time for a new thread. It needs a fresh beginning from scratch again.
Concept art for the PD version calls it “Planet X”
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:20 PM   #11
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwatanabesclone View Post
Concept art for the PD version calls it “Planet X”
You mean that Blue Door script?
Old 02-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #12
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I've always kind of assumed it was another dimension that is sort of an in-between world of sorts. Not quite here nor there, but not quite limbo either.

Nick 2012 kind of had the right idea with that one ep making it sort of a gateway.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #13
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:
You mean that Blue Door script?
No, OOTS.

Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #14
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

All of the various TMNT's are different parallel universes, so Dimension X must be a perpendicular universe.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #15
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I love how it's unexplained. Amazing how long it's been around the TMNT mythos and never really given a definitive answer. And I hope they never do.

I remember in Supernatural the angels teleported Dean to some luxurious room with no door. When he asks where he is the angel tells him "Consider this a green room." The room had some strange powers like regeneration, magic/disappearing doors, providing food based on the persons memories. It was interesting and fun to guess where exactly this place was.

A year later, the showrunners for some reason felt they had to explain where it was and left us... and Dean... pretty unimpressed.

"The green room is in an abandoned muffler factory in Van Nuys, California?"
"Where did you think it would be?"
"I don't know. Jupiter? A blade of grass? But... Van Nuys?"

Some things are better left unexplored.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I like to think of it as an alternate dimension/reality. i.e., somewhere in Dimension X is even a twisted version of Earth.

In my head canon in the TMNT multiverse there is only one Dimension X. And that dimension is the Archie universe. Also within that is a galaxy that is where the traditional Krang comes from, also considered Dimension X... but it's just a galaxy.

It doesn't entirely hold up to scrutiny, though, with more new shows and such doing their own Dimension Xes. Because what's a TMNT show without mutagen man, Krang, Dimension X, etc.. Ugh.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #17
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I like to think of it as an alternate dimension/reality. i.e., somewhere in Dimension X is even a twisted version of Earth.

In my head canon in the TMNT multiverse there is only one Dimension X. And that dimension is the Archie universe. Also within that is a galaxy that is where the traditional Krang comes from, also considered Dimension X... but it's just a galaxy.

It doesn't entirely hold up to scrutiny, though, with more new shows and such doing their own Dimension Xes. Because what's a TMNT show without mutagen man, Krang, Dimension X, etc.. Ugh.
You forgot pizza, cowabunga, Bebop and Rocksteady.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:51 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
You forgot pizza, cowabunga, Bebop and Rocksteady.
Oh yes, those, too.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #19
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

It never bothered me, really. I gave it as much thought as I did to where Godzilla monsters come from.

Godzilla- hydrogen bomb.

Everything else-???

I got to watch mutant ninjas fight a talking brain in the stomach of a robot. If you came expecting perfect sense to be made, you lost before you walked in the door.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:10 AM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
I got to watch mutant ninjas fight a talking brain in the stomach of a robot. If you came expecting perfect sense to be made, you lost before you walked in the door.
So says Crisler's Law.

Though I don't disagree with you, if only in respect to as much thought as the original people who created Dimension X put thought into it.

Personally I've always felt it was a missed opportunity, even in the FW stuff. It could have been like a... let's use a Zelda example and get geeky. It could have been like a Light World vs. Dark World thing.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-08-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Tags
dimension x