The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #21
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Because he's Batman.... or "The Goddamn Batman" for a certain incarnation.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:40 AM   #22
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm not sure I'm seeing it. The movies are great, but the Christian Bale Batman could barely even fight off dogs. If the "BATMAN CAN DO ANYTHING" thing was born around then, it wasn't because of anything that happened in those movies.
Pretty much this!

"Batman has no limits."
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #23
Avenger
Thug

I've read a couple of Batman comics (Hush, Under the Red Hood, Long Halloween) and when Batman is in his own comic book, by himself, we don't see much that side of him.

He seems to be characterized this way when working with the Justice League, or other super-heroes.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #24
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I've read a couple of Batman comics (Hush, Under the Red Hood, Long Halloween) and when Batman is in his own comic book, by himself, we don't see much that side of him.

He seems to be characterized this way when working with the Justice League, or other super-heroes.
I think they feel the need to establish that he can stand on the same level with beings like Superman/Green Lantern/etc. despite not having "actual" superpowers.

But, at this point it's been well established that he can and does stand toe-to-toe with them, and his array of gadgets, martial arts techniques, detective skills, and scientific know-how basically count as super-powers anyway. There's really no need to keep drilling into our heads that he's on the same level. We already know.

And, it's getting to where he's not just "as good" as powered heroes, he's "better". I have no problem with Batman being able to beat Superman, when the two have a fight (I prefer them getting along, though). But, I have a problem with Batman always beating Superman when they fight.

Anyway, I think the seed was planted back in Miller's "Dark Knight Returns", but Andrew's probably right that Morrison's JLA run cemented it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Batman's been overcompensating for decades, it's nothing new. If anything the Nolan movies tried to humanize the God King of Mary Sues.
I'd give the title "God King of Mary Sues" to Wolverine actually.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #25
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu Deinonychus View Post

I'd give the title "God King of Mary Sues" to Wolverine actually.
Wolverine might be over-powered, but he's not a Sue.
Sue's are the best at all things. Wolvie's just the best at what he does.
While Bruce Wayne is super rich, handsome, and the most eligible bachelor in Gotham City...if not the US, Wolverine is a short, stocky, Canadian guy without so much as a pot to piss in.

He might be overpowered, but he's not a Sue.
Same goes for Deadpool.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 09-30-2017 at 10:31 AM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #26
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

No complaints about Deadpool.

But, I don't think it gets much more sue-ish than Wolverine's ridiculously complicated "mysterious origin" story. He's hundreds of years old, but he doesn't remember any of it, and he's been in every war, oh and he's also a samurai for some reason (despite not being Japanese), and he's been experimented on to get a metal skeleton, and he's been a part of essentially, every Marvel Superhero team (even though he's supposed to be a "loner"), even the Fantastic Four.

He's a different kind of Mary Sue than Batman (more of an "Angsty Sue", though Batman might qualify too), but I would say he takes the cake over all.

Though, we are talking superheroes. I guess a little bit of Sue-ness is part of the genre. The real problem, I think is the way DC and Marvel over-promote these characters to pander to their fanbases. Does Batman really have to appear in every DC comic, and does Wolverine have to appear in every Marvel?
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #27
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

But, I don't think it gets much more sue-ish than Wolverine's ridiculously complicated "mysterious origin" story. He's hundreds of years old, but he doesn't remember any of it,
How is tha Mary sue-ish

Quote:
and he's been in every war, oh and he's also a samurai for some reason (despite not being Japanese),
The dude has enhance strength, stamina, speed, reflexes, senses, and healing factor why would't he join a few wars here and there also there has been examples of white and black samurai in history.

Quote:
and he's been experimented on to get a metal skeleton, and he's been a part of essentially, every Marvel Superhero team (even though he's supposed to be a "loner"), even the Fantastic Four.
So, Spiderman has been in every superhero team but he isn't a Mary sue.

Quote:
He's a different kind of Mary Sue than Batman (more of an "Angsty Sue", though Batman might qualify too), but I would say he takes the cake over all.

Though, we are talking superheroes. I guess a little bit of Sue-ness is part of the genre. The real problem, I think is the way DC and Marvel over-promote these characters to pander to their fanbases. Does Batman really have to appear in every DC comic, and does Wolverine have to appear in every Marvel?
Again not really while Wolverine is a good fighter and strategist but hes far from the best in the MU. Batman meanwhile not only knows every martial art but has an in depth knowledge to every science discipline known to man, hell give Wolverine some credit if the problem is a math equation or science problem he would be screwed, Batman meanwhile would figure it out in under 5 seconds.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #28
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:

But, I don't think it gets much more sue-ish than Wolverine's ridiculously complicated "mysterious origin" story. He's hundreds of years old, but he doesn't remember any of it, and he's been in every war, oh and he's also a samurai for some reason (despite not being Japanese), and he's been experimented on to get a metal skeleton, and he's been a part of essentially, every Marvel Superhero team (even though he's supposed to be a "loner"), even the Fantastic Four.

Wolverine LIVED in Japan for several years and had samurai training during that time. Also the only teams he has been part of were the X-Men, X-Force, Avengers and maybe one or two others. All at different times (Except X-Men and Avengers. Those were concurrent.) Yes his powers are a bit over the top at times but he has never had the over-blown Sueishness that Bats does.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #29
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I've been reading the first few issues of Justice League International (circa 1987 or so), and Batman as portrayed in that comic fells a Green Lantern (Guy Gardner) with one punch.

Maybe this trend came after how he was portrayed in The Dark Knight Returns, which would have been published the year before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #30
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I'm perfectly fine with blaming Frank Miller for this phenomenon.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuckman