The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #1
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Sonic Boom TV Series

So Sega has unveiled the trailer for the new Sonic the Hedgehog CGI TV Series called Sonic Boom. They will also have a video game based on it for the Wii U and 3DS.

The new designs for Tails, Sonic, Knuckles and Amy

TV Show Trailer

Video Game Reveal Trailer

Last edited by TigerClaw; 02-06-2014 at 02:54 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Another terrible Sonic cartoon and videogame. This is about par the course now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I kind of like Knuckle's new design. He looks buff. hahahah
Old 02-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Doesn't look too bad. Though why are Sonic's arms blue now? That's my only nitpick about his look. The others look alright as well.

And get load of those bandages! Looks like Sonic and the crew are Turtle fans, haha.

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 02-06-2014 at 02:32 PM.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Doesn't look too bad. Though why are Sonic's arms blue now? That's my only nitpick about his look. The others look alright as well.

And get load of those bandages! Looks like Sonic and the crew are Turtle fans, haha.
The new series and game are being done in America this time around.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
snake
Disgusting

Looks meh. I'll have to see more before I judge.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I have high hopes for this.

The designs, while questionable, due seem to look alot better in motion. I just don't understand the point of it, it's been confirmed that this series will be it's own thing and none of the designs from the games will be changed, so why redesign the characters at all? Won't this just confuse newcomers who like the show and then play the games? "Wheres Sonic's scarf? "Why is Knuckles so small?" etc. Likewise, won't this just alienate both the young and the old from this new series "Why are Sonic's arms blue?" "Why is Knuckles so big?" etc.

As many have said, it does give a lighthearted "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" vibe, just without the wacky visuals. I do wonder how long they can keep the show funny before they turn all the characters into irredeemable jerks with a I.Q of 4, like what SpongeBob has become and what The Grimm Adventures of Billy and Mandy was.

As for the tie in game, not much if any of the gameplay has been shown. I'm just happy to see Sonic's friends playable again. The new designs are at there worst here, though. I have to say, my first thought when this was announced was "Why couldn't they have made that Sonic SatAM game instead?"

Overall, this looks ALOT better then what Bandai-Namco did to Pac-Man. I wish they would have taken Sega's approatch and made the Tv series and the games separate.

Last edited by TMNT_Guy; 02-06-2014 at 03:06 PM.
TMNT_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #8
Allio
Foot Elite

meh, designs are alright, don't exactly see a point for Sonic to have a scarf though

like Amy's updated design...though Anti-Amy/Rosy to me is still the best version of her (I have a soft spot for yanderes)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
Peanut
Second Gear

And the Sonic Cycle begins anew.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

This article talks about why Sonic has a scarf. The designer of the previous Sonic games wanted to develop a new branch of Sonic the Hedgehog, that appeals to western audiences, So they made the TV Show and the game that its based on.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/6/5387...ve-him-a-scarf
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

I...actually liked that trailer/scene...and I generally don't like Sonic. I'll be watching it for Eggman/head, Tails, and Knuckles. Looks somewhat promising.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #12
Eiko
Aussie and Proud

They look alright I guess what's with the tape tho don't seem to see a point to it especially on the shoes guess it with be explained when the show airs.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Knuckles looks like something you'd get as a prize for throwing a dart at a balloon.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The re-designs? Tails looks pretty much the same. Sonic: Not different enough but he does look a little weird, not bad. Amy: I prefer it, she finally has some attitude. Knuckles, looks terrible, he's not supposed to be buff. Why give only him such a radical re-design. Might as well have a new character.

The show? Doesn't seem appealing to me but it looked good for what it was, a show for kids. Sonic actually has a decent track record for TV shows. AOSTH isn't that bad, SATAM while overrated is indeed good for the time, Underground is pretty boring and Sonic X while lacking is serviceable. So overall Sonic has always had good shows for the most part, nothing to go crazy over but enough for kids to enjoy. This looks to be more like AOSTH which can be a nice change of pace after the game inspired Sonic X.

The game? Looks fine but with yearly Sonic titles, it's hard to get excited, the fact that it's based on a cartoon doesn't bring a lot of hope for it.

The parallels to Pac-Man's redesign based on the show make sense. With that said I watched the first episode of that show and it was decent for a kids show, I'd never watch it. And the game looked fine, nothing groundbreaking but a SM65 esque 3d platformer. And Pac-Man's re-design grew on me. I don't mind it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Barely came online. This made my day. Wasn't expecting an update yet...let alone 2 trailers. My only nitpick are the bandages. I don't really like them on the turtles either but no biggie. Thats some great looking CGI for a TV cartoon.

Not thrilled that the game makes all characters playable again. I dont mind I just prefer Sonic's gameplay alone but its based on the cartoon so it makes sense. Is this the second game in the Nintendo exclusive deal?

Edit: Didnt know about this... http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/new...d-by-sony.html

This turned out to be a great day for me.

Last edited by Wildcat; 02-06-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
Turo602
The King of Kings

Those designs are terrible, specifically Sonic and Knuckles. Aside from the obvious differences, something about the designs look really awkward. The game looks interesting, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Apparently they have some Naughty Dog devs working on it, so hopefully it's not too bad. I know Naughty Dog didn't work on the last two Crash Bandicoot games, but I was really getting a Crash of the Titans vibe from the video game trailer.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Looks okay enough, Knuckles had some of PD Raph's roid pizza and Sonic got blue arms, scarf and longer legs. Amy looks older and Tails... Is Tails.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Apparently they have some Naughty Dog devs working on it, so hopefully it's not too bad. I know Naughty Dog didn't work on the last two Crash Bandicoot games, but I was really getting a Crash of the Titans vibe from the video game trailer.
The Naughty Dog connection seemed evident to me as well. Kinda ironic since Crash Bandicoot was probably the most successful of the post-Sonic funny animal with attitude platformer mascots.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #19
Darth Knuckles
Stone Warrior

This news has been consuming me the past two days. The redesigns are okay. It's made easier because, as already mentioned, this is a branching series and does not affect the current games or the Archie Comics series. I don't get all of the tape but I guess I can get used to it. Knuckles, who's my favorite, will definitely be the one to get used to over a longer period of time. But I actually thought the cartoon looks promising.

We'll see about the game as we learn more. I really like that it focuses on the four main "old school" characters and that it looks like they can all "run really fast" in the game. This has been the approach that I wanted ever since Sonic went into 3-D gaming. Do a Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles style game in 3-D! It's always been that simple to me and now it appears that's what SEGA is doing. Interestingly enough without Sonic Team behind the game this go 'round.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #20
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Knuckles View Post
This news has been consuming me the past two days. The redesigns are okay. It's made easier because, as already mentioned, this is a branching series and does not affect the current games or the Archie Comics series. I don't get all of the tape but I guess I can get used to it. Knuckles, who's my favorite, will definitely be the one to get used to over a longer period of time. But I actually thought the cartoon looks promising.

We'll see about the game as we learn more. I really like that it focuses on the four main "old school" characters and that it looks like they can all "run really fast" in the game. This has been the approach that I wanted ever since Sonic went into 3-D gaming. Do a Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles style game in 3-D! It's always been that simple to me and now it appears that's what SEGA is doing. Interestingly enough without Sonic Team behind the game this go 'round.
I wouldn't be surprise if Chaotix makes an appearance too.

Tags
peanut