The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Does anyone recall when hard rock and heavy metal was considered satanic?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #22
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Does anyone recall when hard rock and heavy metal was considered satanic?
Yeah. Seems like every generation has an artist or two that gets branded with that moniker. Cooper, Ozzy, Manson. More of shock rock stuff most would say. I am not sure of any new/current popular bands getting label as satanic though. But don't follow music like I once did. I think some of those Norwegian black metal bands from the 90's might have actually been satanist or at least really committed to the portrayal as such. Some of our Drome bros from that area may know more. I just noticed your in Sweden. Much metal currently in that area?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #23
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Yeah. Seems like every generation has an artist or two that gets branded with that moniker. Cooper, Ozzy, Manson. More of shock rock stuff most would say. I am not sure of any new/current popular bands getting label as satanic though. But don't follow music like I once did. I think some of those Norwegian black metal bands from the 90's might have actually been satanist or at least really committed to the portrayal as such. Some of our Drome bros from that area may know more. I just noticed your in Sweden. Much metal currently in that area?
I don't listen much to it (except some songs by Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden, Metallica on the radio are OK), but the most famous name in Sweden is probably Europe who scored a 1986 hit with "Final Countdown". But the moral panic around it is interesting. Video was blamed for being to violent, hard rock and heavy metal was satanic.

Yes, there were satanic black and death metal band in Norway during the early-1990's. They used to burn down church-buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuC5WYsDDZY
Old 01-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #24
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
I don't listen much to it (except some songs by Guns and Roses, Iron Maiden, Metallica on the radio are OK), but the most famous name in Sweden is probably Europe who scored a 1986 hit with "Final Countdown". But the moral panic around it is interesting. Video was blamed for being to violent, hard rock and heavy metal was satanic.

Yes, there were satanic black and death metal band in Norway during the early-1990's. They used to burn down church-buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuC5WYsDDZY
'Final Countdown' is a classic song for sure. One of the last I would have guessed as controversial. Never knew band is from Sweden. Interesting YouTube clip.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Yes, I remember when Marilyn Manson was this very controversial musician and many edgy teenagers liked his music.

h Norwegian Black Metal? Some of it is OK and I've read Lords of Chaos before. Interestign read but yeah, screw Varg Vikernes.

I really admire how bands from some sub-genres of metal sing in their own language and showcase the parts of their culture/heritage they're really proud of(folk metal per example). But yes, there's also bands and fans who are kinda douchey about it and even overtly nationalistic about things.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #26
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yes, I remember when Marilyn Manson was this very controversial musician and many edgy teenagers liked his music.

h Norwegian Black Metal? Some of it is OK and I've read Lords of Chaos before. Interestign read but yeah, screw Varg Vikernes.

I really admire how bands from some sub-genres of metal sing in their own language and showcase the parts of their culture/heritage they're really proud of(folk metal per example). But yes, there's also bands and fans who are kinda douchey about it and even overtly nationalistic about things.
I think it's cool to hear talented performers/musicians do their thing in one language. So those that can pull off two languages really blow my mind. I'm not bilingual but admiration to those that are.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I think it's cool to hear talented performers/musicians do their thing in one language. So those that can pull off two languages really blow my mind. I'm not bilingual but admiration to those that are.
Being bi-lingual isn't really anything special, actually. Millions of people all over the world are bilingual or even trilingual. it's usually from England or USA think it's a feat to learn another language because they're surrounded by their language which is also the global lingua franca.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #28
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Being bi-lingual isn't really anything special, actually. Millions of people all over the world are bilingual or even trilingual. it's usually from England or USA think it's a feat to learn another language because they're surrounded by their language which is also the global lingua franca.
Maybe not special but I could still admire it. It is still admirable in my opinion anyway. Especially because it broadens the amount of people someone could possibly communicate with verbally. Opens doors such as making travel easier in my opinion. Considering 7 billion people on the earth, millions of multi language speakers is not that big of percentage.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:44 AM   #29
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Metal was my favorite genre as a teen but I've since expanded to like pretty much everything and rarely listen to it but I"d lie if I said that metal didn't still have a soft spot from time to time. I'm a big fan of nu-metal as well regardless of what the metal community thinks of it.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Maybe not special but I could still admire it. It is still admirable in my opinion anyway. Especially because it broadens the amount of people someone could possibly communicate with verbally. Opens doors such as making travel easier in my opinion. Considering 7 billion people on the earth, millions of multi language speakers is not that big of percentage.
By millions I don't mean as in 25 million people, but as in hundreds of millions. In Europe and Africa it's quite common for people to be bi-lingual or even tri-lingual. Plus keep in mind there's several languages in the world which have a degree of mutual intelligibility, so even if a Norwegian doesn't speak Swedish hell have a very easy time reading it and understanding it in speech form. Which is also another hard thing for native English speakers to grasp since the closest languages to English are German, Dutch, Afrikaans and Frisian... yet they're still fairly distant and you cannot understand them at all nor can you read much of a text in those languages if you don't speak them at all.

You're certainly right about it being an advantage as far as social and work opportunities go.

Don't get me wrong, learning a new language can be challenging, but it's definitely not the hardest skill one can develop.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #31
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Metal was my favorite genre as a teen but I've since expanded to like pretty much everything and rarely listen to it but I"d lie if I said that metal didn't still have a soft spot from time to time. I'm a big fan of nu-metal as well regardless of what the metal community thinks of it.
Yeah I'm in a similar situation of not listening as much but more random stuff.

Quote:
By millions I don't mean as in 25 million people, but as in hundreds of millions. In Europe and Africa it's quite common for people to be bi-lingual or even tri-lingual. Plus keep in mind there's several languages in the world which have a degree of mutual intelligibility, so even if a Norwegian doesn't speak Swedish hell have a very easy time reading it and understanding it in speech form. Which is also another hard thing for native English speakers to grasp since the closest languages to English are German, Dutch, Afrikaans and Frisian... yet they're still fairly distant and you cannot understand them at all nor can you read much of a text in those languages if you don't speak them at all.

You're certainly right about it being an advantage as far as social and work opportunities go.

Don't get me wrong, learning a new language can be challenging, but it's definitely not the hardest skill one can develop.
Okay.

Some of my favs from back in the day.
Arch Enemy
Pantera
Black label society
Lamb of God
Old 01-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #32
THGhost
Puppet Master

Saw In Flames, Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold in Sheffield tonight. My ears are still ringing; worth it.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #33
Overlord

Europe

Quote:
'Final Countdown' is a classic song for sure. One of the last I would have guessed as controversial. Never knew band is from Sweden. Interesting YouTube clip.
Europe were never a controversial band.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #34
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Europe were never a controversial band.
Your talking about the video right? I must have misread the previous post. Oops . Thanks for clarifying.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:27 PM   #35
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Saw In Flames, Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold in Sheffield tonight. My ears are still ringing; worth it.
In Flames are also from Sweden.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #36
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
I bought the CD "come clarity" from In Flames back when it was released. Haven't listened to it in years though. But this thread is making want to dig out all my older metal CDs.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #37
THGhost
Puppet Master

Quote:
In Flames are also from Sweden.
Yeah, they told us when they came onstage. I saw Avatar a few years back, who are also from Sweden, and they told us when they came onstage as well. What is it with Swedish bands and telling us they're from Sweden?

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #38
Overlord

Quote:
Yeah, they told us when they came onstage. I saw Avatar a few years back, who are also from Sweden, and they told us when they came onstage as well. What is it with Swedish bands and telling us they're from Sweden?
Candlemass, Dead by April, Hammerfall, HEAT,, November the Poodles are som other hard rock and heavy metal bands from Sweden.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #39
Prowler
Emperor

I wonder how a small(well lowly populated for tis size) country like Sweden can produce so much good music.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:16 AM   #40
Overlord

Quote:
I wonder how a small(well lowly populated for tis size) country like Sweden can produce so much good music.
I started with ABBA, who didn't play hard rock and heavy metal, but pop and rock and that became successful. Then came Roxette doing the same thing.

That boom has probably affected hard rock and heavy metal.