The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #21
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

So far, it seems like you need very specific ooze to reincarnate. Either consumed (in the case of Saki and his previous incarnations) or injection (in the case of the Hamato family). So long as it gets inside you. And even the little bit that Hob got when he tried to make off with Raphael was enough to mutate him.

(But...not heal his eye? I guess it wasn't healing serum, which you'd think he'd try to get a hold of. If the stuff can grow a man's leg back, I'm sure it can do the same for an eye.)
Old 09-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #22
miru
Mad Scientist

And I’m sure Hob’s bias against human-born Mutants will come back to bite him one day. Like maybe Dreadmon starts a group of formerly-human-Mutants to oppose Hob? That would be a great turn for Dreadmon, and keep up with a "cat vs dog" element to things.

Maybe Stryacodons could be introduced as reincarnated Neutrinos?

EDIT: Someone else suggested Mondo and Herman’s personalities were due to their owners.

Last edited by miru; 09-28-2018 at 07:56 PM.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #23
Cryomancer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Spengler and Duke have it right.

And yes, it is the most confusing and (to me at least) frustrating part of our mythos.
That's kind of good though. It makes things more variable and complex, and presents the "science" as something you have to actually put some time/thought/effort into and not just something that happens in 5 minutes.

Final Boss of translation group Opentrain.
We do videogame comics and TMNT stuff.
http://opentrain.theyear199x.org/
Cryomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #24
daggio
Foot Soldier

To me, it seems there are different categories of mutants. There's the mutants who were once non-human animals, physically speaking of course, like:
-Splinter & the Turtles (reincarnated, yes, but started off
as a rat and turtles in their new lives)
-The Mutanimals sans Seymour
-Alopex
-Koya & Bludgeon
-Leatherhead
-Zodi & Krisa
-All the flyborgs (then partially roboticized)
-Wingnut, Screwloose, and the other experiments from
Stockgen

Then there are mutants who started life as humans:
-Bebop & Rocksteady
-Dreadmon
-Ocho
Bebop & Rocksteady are so rediculously invulnerable that I wonder if the rhino/warthog thing is just superficial and the real power comes from something else. After all, when they were mutated, they were given a list of animals they could choose from to become. If they had chosen a squirrel they would have probably been just as powerful as they became.

Then there are those who use the ooze/mutagen but I don't know if they can be considered mutants:
-Anchovy
-Shredder/Tatsuo
-Kitsune (almost definitely not)
-Gang of Four (probably not)
-Hun
-the Utroms in general
-Seymour
-John O'Neil
With this list, I guess if one is just using the ooze maybe they aren't mutants, but using the mutagen makes you a mutant.

I think the mutants who were humans have the edge cuz it seems the animal appearance is just that, an appearance (maybe not fully, like with Rocksteady and his horn) and their strength come from something else, whereas the mutants who weren't human seem to have the strength based on the kind of animal they are. With some training they become powerful in their own right.
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #25
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggio View Post
-The Mutanimals sans Seymour
Seymour is a bit of an oddity, but I wouldn't exclude him from this list.

Quote:
-All the flyborgs (then partially roboticized)
I'd still love to learn how Baxter creates the organic components for those!

Quote:
-Ocho
Not a mutant.

Quote:
Bebop & Rocksteady are so rediculously invulnerable that I wonder if the rhino/warthog thing is just superficial and the real power comes from something else. After all, when they were mutated, they were given a list of animals they could choose from to become. If they had chosen a squirrel they would have probably been just as powerful as they became.
Hey, don't you read Marvel Comics? If anything, squirrel mutants are even more ridiculously overpowered!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #26
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Seymour is a bit of an oddity, but I wouldn't exclude him from this
I didn't. I put him in the third list of characters who don't fit the human/non-human lists.
As far as Ocho goes, I'm kinda skeptical cuz of Kitsune's connection to Krang around those time periods. So you never know.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #27
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I didn't. I put him in the third list of characters who don't fit the human/non-human lists.
I was originally going to say that I think he could be some sort of genetic chimera, and maybe he is. His skull is more animal than human, and his organs, well... Most animals' organs resemble each others', so who knows. He looks more animal than human to me at any rate.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

The mutagen basically does whatever the writers want it to do. This has been the case in any TMNT universe/series ever.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #29
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yeah, Ocho is specifically a Yokai.

Also, they never really specify what the Utroms were doing with ooze in IDW. Besides as a "necessity for life and technology", but that's pretty vague. They're never depicted to actually USE it. Their walkers seem to be running on some other kind of power, and the ooze for stasis had to have some radical messing about with in order to work like it did.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #30
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Yeah, Ocho is specifically a Yokai.
The thought just occurred to me, Ocho is pretty much the TMNT equivalent of Juggernaut: a powerhouse and something other than a mutant, mystical in nature, but everyone mistakes her for one in and out of universe, and it's conceivable that she could one day be adapted as such to make things simpler.

I wonder where Wyrm would fall on that list, too...
Old 04-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #31
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Also, they never really specify what the Utroms were doing with ooze in IDW. Besides as a "necessity for life and technology", but that's pretty vague.
I wish that stuff was real though . Cure every disease and mental/physical issue and stay alive for millions of years.(unless time passes differently in Dimension X)
Old 04-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #32
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm pretty sure time passes differently in Dimension X; Bobby's confirmed something along those lines too. I also think something was wonky with early trans-dimensional portals

(I can very much buy Utroms living for a few hundred years, maybe a thousand or if they're set on meeting their great-great-great grandchildren, but never millions)
Old 04-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #33
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I wonder where Wyrm would fall on that list, too...
I forgot about Wyrm. I guess the non-human animal list, but the hive mind thing makes it different from the usual. I wonder if we'll see Wyrm again in this series.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:47 AM   #34
corvus
Stone Warrior

Remember mutants in this continuity come from a combination of two sources. Mutagen and the Psychotropic compound. Slash was very animal like when he didn't have the psychotropic compound, once he got it he learned to read and developed a more human personality. Mondo and Herman appeared out of nowhere, All we know is Hob made them, we don't know when or how long they actually existed. Mutants also have memories of their animal lives and that shapes them, leatherhead and hob have both indicated this.
I think it's something like Mirage/4kids/movie splinter. He developed a sort of old ninja master personality by watching his owner. Maybe Mondo was exposed to a lot of punk music and skateboard videos and Herman saw a lot of war movies, or maybe the pet-shop employees are an old army vet and a skater dude.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #35
Ninjinister
無問題

In the retrospective on the series in the most recent issue, they mentioned an idea of Mondo having been owned by a hippie pet shop owner, and Herman owned by an ex-military one, and they just absorbed the persona/ideas of their shop owners like Splinter did with Yoshi's movements back in Mirage.

Not sure if that's they way they'll go in the canon itself but that's what we got so far.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #36
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The problem with that is, I'm pretty sure Hob stole them from pet stores. Pete came from a random rooftop that just happened to have a Pigeon pen.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #37
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
The problem with that is, I'm pretty sure Hob stole them from pet stores. Pete came from a random rooftop that just happened to have a Pigeon pen.
What's the problem with that?
Old 07-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
So what you're saying is... Hob didn't have consent?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #39
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ah, I must have misread the information and skipped words...my mistake. I thought it was full owners and not pet store owners...
Old 07-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #40
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Throwing my .02 in.

Honestly, my own, personal take has been that the turtles and splinter are unique cases. Blame it on the pantheon or Tang Shen on a greater power but I feel they are working out some kind of destiny to stand against Shredder at this point in history.

That said, there's definitely a 'mystical' aspect to the ooze, in that it was able to 'trap' shredder's soul within his body as it was made immortal, so perhaps you could argue the QNA or whatever confirms a soul onto non-sentient mutated creatures, just perhaps not a reincarnated one.