The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Do parents owe their children a college education?
Yes, they do 0 0%
No, they don't 4 100.00%
The government/taxpayers should pay for it 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Do parents owe their children a college education?

Like, do you believe it is the parents' responsibility to save and pay for their children's college education?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I don't think they owe them a college education specifically, because college is not an absolute necessity to survive.

Many people will already be living under their parent's roofs, even if they paid for college themselves, so there's that.

I only think that someone paying for their child's college is worthwhile if said college education is a direct pathway to a respectable career, like being a doctor or engineer.

After all, the purpose of College is to recieve grades, and a certificate which you can use to make yourself more attractive to employers.

And parents should be able to know what kind of grades their children are getting, and what kind of effort they are putting into their studies.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:48 PM   #3
Leo656
The Franchise

If they have the means, sure. A parent's job is, ostensibly, to do everything in their power to give their child a better life than the one they had.

Like, at one point, my Dad had a very good job that he'd kept for almost 30 years. We weren't rich, but comfortable. When I was very young, I had no idea that my parents were such degenerates (well, my Mom was kind of obvious, but she also wasn't the breadwinner). I always heard their friends talk about their kids' futures, so I just assumed that mine was a priority as well.

When I was about 7, there was some thing at school where the teacher was asking us about what we hoped to be when we grew up and the importance of a good education, all that. So I went home and casually asked my Dad about how much he'd put aside for my future college education.

He laughed and with no irony or jest whatsoever said "Get a f*ckin' job, kid." To a 7-year old. I really should have known at that moment I was f*cked, but part of me was hoping it really was a joke.

Once he lost that job we were living below the poverty line for a good long time, so maybe it wouldn't have made any difference if they HAD saved anything for my future, but the point still stands: By his own admission, any "extra" money they had after the bills were paid went to booze, weed and coke, no exceptions. "Nobody took care of ME when I was your age, you should have to figure it out for yourself, too" was the mantra.

At one point we came into some money when I was about 14, and per agreement (and legally as his dependent) I was given about $15,000 to put in the bank. Then when I was about 16 going on 17, he got a new crackhead girlfriend and he took his ATM card and cleaned my account down to less than $2,000 inside of two weeks while I was visiting family. To say I was "royally f*cked" would be an understatement.

I'm not ashamed to say that I beat that motherf*cker's ass half-conscious and I'd do it again. I actually DID do it again, several times over the years, but for different reasons.

Bottom line, if you're not prepared to do as much as you're capable of doing to provide your spawn a head start in life, DON'T f*cking have kids. Especially in the current economic climate where, despite a lot of "opportunity", people who are given a "head start" in life consistently end up way ahead of their peers who were forced to claw their way up without any help. If you DON'T put at least a little cushion together for them, you're automatically dooming your kids to failure before they even get in the game, and I frankly think that's evil.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #4
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Many jobs out there don't require a college degree. So I think College is just a waste of time.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Many jobs out there don't require a college degree. So I think College is just a waste of time.
For degrees like Arts and Gender Studies, I am definetly inclined to agree.

College is no joke in terms of the cost.

So why would you enrol into something which would not get you in something to recover all of that cost and more?

You're much better off learning all of the information that you would get in an Arts Degree for free on the Internet.

Unless you're a mansion kid and want to go for the lulz or something.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

That's a huge oversimplification.

Like, most of my friends who went to trade school and became mechanics and welders are doing much, MUCH better than any of my friends who went to college, but there are a lot of variables for that. For one thing, they were smart enough to enter a field that was less likely to be replaced by a robot anytime soon, and that helps. And a lot of the college kids either wasted their time and money on a Liberal Arts or Political Sciences degree, because they were gonna "change the world". OR, being that it was 2000, they went to school for computer science because "computers were Big" at the time, but they didn't expect that literally at the exact same moment they were getting those degrees, ALL the jobs were being outsourced to India, so those kids all ended up working the register at Starbucks and CVS for years due to a lack of foresight. Our guidance counselors TOLD us all to study math and chemistry because the real money going forward would be in the pharmaceutical game (given than the only product the U.S. manufactures anymore is drugs), but we all said "I don't wanna do that" and we paid for it. It was still the right advice. Those who followed it did well.

College definitely isn't for everybody and it's prohibitively expensive due to how the real point of college is to provide a feeder system for the NBA and NFL. The stadiums and uniforms are what really matters to the school, and that's why tuition is so high. If we did some houscleaning over in that area, things would improve, but that's neither here nor there.

The point is, education IS important, and whether it be putting aside money for tuition OR getting into a good trade school, whatever the case may be for the individual, their parents SHOULD be helping them get a head start in any way they reasonably can. Otherwise what the f*ck are they doing? Your kid isn't a show pony for you to dress up and prance around and brag about on social media, they're a human being who your main job is to "provide for". That includes helping build their future at the point in time when they're statistically most likely to struggle and fall.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Considering on how predatory the student loans are in the US, parents should probably be a bit savvy and start a saving account for the kid in their name when they're born. Unless you're very hard pressed for money and live paycheck to paycheck, saving isn't that hard

Even if the kid isn't going to college, that money is still a nice start in their "adult" life
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:09 AM   #8
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
If they have the means, sure. A parent's job is, ostensibly, to do everything in their power to give their child a better life than the one they had.
The problem is, there's a plateau in that depending on your circumstances. If you're already doing well, and I'll admit that thankfully the missus and I are in a situation whereby I can say we are far from struggling, then in my honest opinion, I can't see that being likely. We can hope that our daughter will become the best to her abilities, and we will attempt to guide and mould her towards that aim, but will she end up with a better life than us? Probably not, probably the same I hope. Unless she married a millionaire or wins the lottery or becomes a high paying sportswoman heh. That isn't just us though, the world in certain areas is going to hell in a handbasket, and what sort of place will it be when she becomes an adult? I have no idea.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Personally, I say that the parents should set aside money for college for their kid(s)... but I don't think that they owe it to them to do so.

Apparently some states, the government dictates that it is owed. Yeah, it's fairly insane to me that child support can continue past 18 and into 25, if the child goes on to college. Adult Support?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote