The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #21
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post

(spoilered for size)

Also, apparently Jigglypuff will be in the special.
Where did you find that image from?

Now, there's someone we also haven't seen for a long time. The memories!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #22
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here's a sneak-peak.

Spoiler:
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:53 PM   #23
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Bulbasaur too!

Refresh me memory,what happened to Jigglypuff in Johoto?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #24
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Bulbasaur too!

Refresh me memory,what happened to Jigglypuff in Johoto?
I haven't seen the Pokemon anime in a long time but I believe Jigglypuff still followed Ash into Hoenn then appeared less and less till the point where it was completely absent.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #25
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I thought this was a reboot... so Ash already knows Misty and Brock somehow?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #26
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I thought this was a reboot... so Ash already knows Misty and Brock somehow?
The anime has never had a reboot. This is a special for the current Sun and Moon anime. If you mean the 20th anniversary retelling of the earliest adventure, that's it's own thing and not anime canon.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Hmmm, I thought after a while it had a reboot. The new art style definitely makes it seem like it's starting all over, but set in modern day.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #28
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Hmmm, I thought after a while it had a reboot. The new art style definitely makes it seem like it's starting all over, but set in modern day.
I think a reboot had been considered once or twice, but it's never happened. There's never really been a need, since they generally have a new region to have him explore and deal with by the time an arc is done. The art style is certainly different, though, but that's just the direction they decided to take Sun and Moon. It's why this is a big deal that these two are showing up. I don't think Misty has been seen at all since Hoenn and I don't know when Brock dropped out (I'd stopped watching at all somewhere during the Sinnoh stuff). They've been away a long time.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:30 AM   #29
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I have an excuse to watch something from this series! I still don't care for this art style and prefer that X/Y look or BW look, etc. since it seems so childish looking, but it should be interesting. Also, sucks the two don't have their later looks clothes wise. Can't wait to find out why Kasumi is there and how the gym is doing since her being there seemed like a surprise to Satoshi.

A few years ago, there was an interview with Matsumoto Rika and Iizuki Mayumi. Mayumi mentioned that she would definitely like to voice Kasumi again at some point. This is a nice 20th anniversary surprise.

As for shipping stuff...kinda doubt it'll have any personally, but I am saying this unfairly as I'm basing it on the animation style. For those watching, what's the tone of S/M like? Does Satoshi come across as more serious or childish compared to the multiple previous series? Would S/M Satoshi bat an eyelid if someone wanted to use the lure Kasumi gave him or would he get protective of it like he did with Hikari in D/P? Figured he didn't want to risk losing something given to him by a friend.

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-03-2017 at 12:39 AM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #30
Powder
So tired of this place

I wasn't big on the animation style myself until I watched an episode or two, & then I fell in love with it. It's really fun, & very clean aesthetically There's a much wider range of expressions, some of which being comically exaggerated to great effect. It may have a slightly more kid oriented look than before, but it hasn't become more childish or anything.

The tone is more or less consistent with past material, I guess? I'd say Ash is a little more mature, but not necessarily in that he's more serious, just less goofy, maybe. I'm a bit behind but at least in the first 20 episodes (that's as far as I've gotten so far) there hasn't been much of a "filler" feel yet, & it's different in that Ash isn't traveling a whole lot. His sight-seeing has all been local, there's a lot of getting to know his knew peers & whatnot. He's in school (I use that term lightly) sometimes too, which is unique to this season. If you like everything that came before this, you'll like this too. I for one am enjoying it more than the last few years of material, but Best Wishes was the last season I was really into, so my taste may be different than yours.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #31
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I wasn't big on the animation style myself until I watched an episode or two, & then I fell in love with it. It's really fun, & very clean aesthetically There's a much wider range of expressions, some of which being comically exaggerated to great effect. It may have a slightly more kid oriented look than before, but it hasn't become more childish or anything.

The tone is more or less consistent with past material, I guess? I'd say Ash is a little more mature, but not necessarily in that he's more serious, just less goofy, maybe. I'm a bit behind but at least in the first 20 episodes (that's as far as I've gotten so far) there hasn't been much of a "filler" feel yet, & it's different in that Ash isn't traveling a whole lot. His sight-seeing has all been local, there's a lot of getting to know his knew peers & whatnot. He's in school (I use that term lightly) sometimes too, which is unique to this season. If you like everything that came before this, you'll like this too. I for one am enjoying it more than the last few years of material, but Best Wishes was the last season I was really into, so my taste may be different than yours.
That's interesting to know. The only Pokemon series I've seen all the way through are the first two (Kanto and Orange Islands). Stuff from the other series have been scattered. I didn't watch any of the X/Y stuff. The character of Serena kinda turned me off from it...and I wasn't big on the X/Y game. Sun and Moon I've yet to see any of...but was turned off by the animation style and I've yet to play the games.

I've seen some of Johto, Advance Generation, and Diamond and Pearl. Best Wishes brought me back into the series since I really liked the games...but I got bored after a while. Even Dento couldn't keep me interested and I really liked his character.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #32
Powder
So tired of this place

I've seen just about all of it in full except for the Ruby/Sapphire & X/Y seasons, as they weren't my cup of tea. Their respective games were my least favorites, but it was the Pokemon designs & Ash's companions that put me off mostly. So I feel ya.

Ok, well, I would suggest you play Sun & Moon, if you can afford to grab a copy. It's REALLY good. Some conventions are changed for the better, & there are a lot of new features that make it feel SO fresh. I had an absolute blast with it. This reminds me though, part of why I like the current season so much is because it's very close to the games, which is generally not the case. I played the game in full, & then started watching, & I appreciated it a whole lot being able to compare notes & see how characters I liked come across in animation.

Best Wishes brought me back in full at the time, too. B/W was so good & remains my favorite of the main games. I too got bored though, around the Meloetta arc. At least it didn't have all that stupid pageant crap from the Sinnoh seasons. Eugh! & hell yeah, Dento is the man! Funny ass character, whose companion is one of my all time favorite Pokemon. I really liked him & Iris. Ash's new friends are really enjoyable too, they're not as full of personality as those two, but they're not nearly as dull or annoying as Serena & those other kids. You've got the shy one, the accomplished one, the underdog, the cocky nerd, & a cool ass surfer scientist senpai.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #33
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I know this probably won't happen, but it would be downrightt hilarious in the special if Ash for some reason has to meet Professor Ivy and Brock is with him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LKk0X6uhSwU
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #34
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The Indigo Leauge is being released on DVD and Blu-Ray in the UK for the first time

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/907998865697263617
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #36
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Seeing Misty with a Belly button in her original outfit is so odd, it took me a long time to accept her crop shirt without a belly button as a kid but now it just looks odd

That swimming clip is great, I can't believe after all these years we finally got to see her official game outfit in the anime. Misty used various swimsuits with the red bikini being the one used the most but we never saw her with a blue one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I
Best Wishes brought me back in full at the time, too. B/W was so good & remains my favorite of the main games.
Awesome, I only ever watched the first two episodes and they were fine but have yet to check it out but I was afraid since BW is considered trash by most people but they were too emotionally attached to DP Ash and appearently he becomes a n00b in all of BW and the interesting "darker" TR goes away after the earthquake. BW is also the only gen that I've only played for a few hours and never more, unsure why, I own both BW and BW2 so I should give them a shot.

But to rank the anime:

Kanto: yes ash is a total n00b but the season isn't that long and it's so iconic/nostalgic, it's all around fun which other seasons have forgotten that even if improving on everything else. A classic.

Orange Islands: One of my favorites, super short but we got to see the anime peeps explore the anime world as they wanted and it gave us cool arcs and Ash becoming a good trainer.

Johto: Hated by fans, the first part is the worst but at the time it was alright since it was the "new" generation of Pokemon, the second part isn't that bad and the third part "Master Quest" as it was called in the dub is pretty cool even if Togepi did become annoying and Brock/Misty didn't do much and sure it isn't as good as Kanto.

Hoenn: The advance generation is definitely better written, it is missing some "fun" though, May's competitions were always boring. Overall even if it was a song as Johto it felt shorter since it was better written and finally saw Ash being decent.

Battle Frontier: Cool to see Ash be awesome and plow through, tons of missed opportunities with them revisiting Kanto though as it might as well been a new region and it wasn't as fun as Orange Islands but still cool anime filler. Sadly this was when the dub changed and I haven't been a fan of the Pokemon International dub, it's not as well written, still has the pointless 4Kids edits and the voice actors aren't as good even if by now they've done the dub for longer.

Sinnoh: It was too much like the Advanced seasons which is why it became boring to me but it is cool that we get to see Ash become even better by now, Dawn was alright and an improvement from May but at the same time she never became more than a "slight" improvement from May to differ enough so she'll always be in the shadow of May. The problem this season is it lacked the fun the original Kanto season had which slowly had died until we reached DP.

Unova: Like I mentioned I only watched the first two episodes, I think I'll definitely like it more than the fandom does since I tend to disagree a lot with the fans but who knows, I think I may like that it tried to go "back" to the original formula of being "fun" even if they nerfed Ash.

Kalos: Only watched a few episodes but it seemed to be an improvement in every way.

Alola: Watched the first two episodes, didn't like where they were going for nor the animation but hey at least they're trying something new.

Overall we need more season Arcs, it's boring to go straight into another league without some sort of break.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #37
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Awe yes, fan service for the young Pokemon viewers LOL, only with Anime. I thought Sun and Moon was supposed to be aimed at the younger audience, what? XD

I don't care how hated Tracey was by the fandom, he should still be mentioned, he was a big part of the series since Orange Islands, showing up in Chronicles all the time and cameos in the older series. He was always with Misty than suddenly he's not talked about? Or at least that's what viewers who watched the episode in subs said, guess I was right in not checking out the show and acting like it's not apart of the series.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #38
Allio
Foot Elite

apparently wearing a bathing suit constitutes as "fanservice" I mean...okay...that makes sense...if you were stupid maybe.

That's like saying anyone wearing a bathing suit in real life automatically makes it a sex thing.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #39
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Anime has always had fan service even in kids shows but the term fan service is thrown around a lot, especially in a negative sense. Bathing suits can be really obvious fan service or subtle, I mean it's only clothing. Tons of western shows have characters wearing bikinis, it's not meant to be taken that way even if it can. That is just Misty's outfit in the game, and I believe we see Brock shirtless doing his game pose as well in the next episode.

As far as Tracey, he got a lot of flack mostly because he was replacing Brock and "ruining" the original trio. We are now used to seeing the cast change but Tracey got all the hate for being the first one, ironically enough it was done to appeal more to western audiences. Sadly he's been forgotten, I don't see how he was a "big part of the series" after Orange Islands. Chronicles was an awesome way to give other characters the spotlight, sadly none of that worked out since we rarely get specials like that anymore. Featuring him in the openings is far from "being important" and with the cast of previous "main" characters growing gen after gen then it's obvious they would cut the fat, and non-game characters like him the first to go. I like him though
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #40
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

https://youtu.be/NC1EidxqfJQ

This a rundown of all of Ash' s Pokemon which appear in the first part of the Kanto special.

Tags
pokemon