The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 11-07-2017, 12:55 PM   #541
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Oh look, the game just described itself!

❤ How cute! ❤
I don't get it.

I make terrible video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #542
Papenbrook
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I don't get it.
Spoiler:
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #543
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Okay, go out and get some fresh air!
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #544
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn

Watched a lets player (dashiegames) and read some tweets. I'm really hyped.

Can't wait to get the game!

Sonic joined IDW Publishing - possible crossover with TMNT in the future?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #545
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Forces is pretty decent so far, but I'd caution anyone who's considering purchasing the PC port just yet.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #546
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Just beat the game yesterday in one sitting. It's a little underwhelming due to extremely short stages, even for Sonic (1-2 minutes) and bland level design but for what it is, it's fine. It's not bad in any particular way, but it doesn't do anything great either. About as mixed as Unleashed or Lost World. Hopefully, Sonic Team will take the criticisms to heart and work a lot harder next time. The four year development this game had was not enough.

I own it on the Switch and other than running at 30 FPS and a few scenes coming off a bit blurry, it looks beautiful.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 11-08-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:19 PM   #547
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn

I got it on PS4. The Switch version sold out!! I'm a bit mad but I'm also glad it sells well.

So anyway I finished it around 7 hours. Really enjoying it tbh.

Here's my feedback after playing it.

Pros:
  • Lovely visuals
  • Smooth frame rate
  • Nice animation
  • Completing stages with S rank rewards you with good incentive - more outfits!
  • Customisation is really fun. I spend a lot of time often changing my character's look
  • Engaging story and plot
  • Most of the boss fights are great
  • Leaderboards makes me more competitive and awe at other people's achievements

Cons:
  • Classic Sonic controls is really weird and stiff. And he has no homing attack like modern Sonic so that sucks.
  • Tails is a wimp (why did he not fight along with Sonic like in Mania etc??? Just busy with his tablet and screaming Sonic's name)

Overall score: 8/10

Sonic joined IDW Publishing - possible crossover with TMNT in the future?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #548
sdp
<<raver>>

Seems to me from what I read that this game is an average 3D sonic game, not really bad but it looks especially bad after Sonicmania and being hyped as this anniversary thing.

I wish they had gone out full Sonic and Friends mode if it was going to be just another 3D sonic game instead of the "new" sonic they tried to market and backfired. It should've been an anniversary game that celebrated all his sh-tty friends, have the first game where you can control any Sonic playable ally he's had from the past. I'll be getting the game but likely not until it's on sale.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #549
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
I got it on PS4. The Switch version sold out!! I'm a bit mad but I'm also glad it sells well.

So anyway I finished it around 7 hours. Really enjoying it tbh.

Here's my feedback after playing it.

Pros:
  • Lovely visuals
  • Smooth frame rate
  • Nice animation
  • Completing stages with S rank rewards you with good incentive - more outfits!
  • Customisation is really fun. I spend a lot of time often changing my character's look
  • Engaging story and plot
  • Most of the boss fights are great
  • Leaderboards makes me more competitive and awe at other people's achievements

Cons:
  • Classic Sonic controls is really weird and stiff. And he has no homing attack like modern Sonic so that sucks.
  • Tails is a wimp (why did he not fight along with Sonic like in Mania etc??? Just busy with his tablet and screaming Sonic's name)

Overall score: 8/10
Just have a slight criticism regarding your first con about the lack of homing. Why WOULD classic Sonic use homing when the original classic Sonic didn't? Seems pointless to claim that as a con.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #550
GoldMutant
Rest. In. Peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Just have a slight criticism regarding your first con about the lack of homing. Why WOULD classic Sonic use homing when the original classic Sonic didn't? Seems pointless to claim that as a con.
I would understand as a result of different gameplay styles, but if Classic Sonic is too heavy/floaty for controls, wouldn't it save him? It would probably prevent death easier.

Also, he has used the homing attack before in Generations, but you either have to purchase it in-game (home consoles and PC) or progress in the game (3DS) first. The latter option still annoys me with Modern Sonic's stomp attack, an attack he should have had in the 3DS instead of earning it after the Dreamcast Era.

I watched through the story for Forces via cutscenes and honestly, I'm not impressed. Sonic has good dialogue and as per usual, I got a kick out of Knuckles and Eggman. However, the portrayal of Tails was terrible and it had the air of being rushed. So much potential with the concept not fully executed.

Spoiler:
Also, when I watched SomeCallMeJohnny's review, I was shocked on Blaze not being present. I know she's from an alternate dimension, but Silver, the hedgehog from the future, is in the game. Blaze, next to Knuckles, is my favorite Sonic character, too. Barring personal bias, if this is called Sonic Forces, why not have essentially every character introduced (notwithstanding the comics and shows) in the game?

Sdp also brings up a fair point, why not make the other characters playable and Sonic at the end possibly? Classic Sonic holds no purpose in the game;
I kinda wished more was done with this whole concept, it just feels... there.
"It's only natural for living creatures to fight to protect their own lives. But what makes us human is that we fight for others. But who do you fight for? How hard must you fight...? That's the true measure of what human life is worth. Even when the battle's over, and the bonds that connect us are severed... We always return... Time and time again." -Phoenix Wright

Last edited by GoldMutant; 11-11-2017 at 07:47 AM.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #551
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
As mentioned, Classic Sonic in Generations did have the homing attack as an unlockable ability. The ending of Generations even showed Classic trying to do the homing attack...but considering the major retcon that is the Classic games taking place in an alternate dimension instead of simply the past, expecting continuity of any logical sort seems out of the question. I'm a bit miffed at the retcon, but at the same time the lore of Sonic has been a mess since 2005...so it's simply just business as usual.

SomecallmeJohnny did a review of Sonic Forces and I more or less agree with it. Not bad, but not good either. My only hope with the series right now is the possibility of a future game by the Mania team. A new Adventure style game certainly sounds cool, but I just don't know. I'd need to see a proper story and gameplay trailer before I could properly give my opinion on something like that.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #552
Papenbrook
Mad Scientist

I think I found the problem.

Sega has been known for rushing games on time constraints. They tend to rush their game development(s) quite frequently.

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/03/01/i...n-sonic-games/

(Note: It started with Sonic 1.)

Last edited by Papenbrook; 11-15-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #553
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
I think I found the problem.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOFC1wXV4AAQvqp.jpg:medium

Sega has been known for rushing games on time constraints. They tend to rush their game development(s) quite frequently.

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/03/01/i...n-sonic-games/

(Note: It started with Sonic 1.)

Literally no one aside from you cares.

Quit acting like a broken record and get over yourself.

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 11-15-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #554
Papenbrook
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Literally no one aside from you cares.

Have you even read the article above? Have you read the various Twitter comments in the link above said article?

There are tons of people (besides myself, obviously) who do care about the current development and condition of the Sonic games.

Stop acting so close-minded.

Quote:
Quit acting like a broken record and get over yourself.
Are you really this insecure? Are you really this insecure about anything negative that I have said concerning Sonic Forces?

It shouldn't even affect you, yet here you are, still trying to silence constructive criticism.

You can still enjoy the game, Titan. I'm just giving folks the background information that concerns the development of the game. That's all. You do you.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM   #555
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
[url]
Stop acting so close-minded.
Like you're one to talk. You were never gonna give the game a chance in the first place. Nothing you said was "constructive criticism", you were hating on it for, quite frankly, ridiculous reasons.

Every time you post in this thread it's just to talk about how much Forces sucks. So don't start preaching to me about being "closed minded" when you're acting that way yourself.

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 11-15-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #556
dl316bh
Hench Mutant

I can sort of understand both points of view on this, but really, is this argument solving anything/worth having?

Quote:
SomecallmeJohnny did a review of Sonic Forces and I more or less agree with it. Not bad, but not good either.
That's fine with me, because at least it's not flat out terrible. Mediocre games can just be glossed over and fade to the background. Not like the franchise hasn't done that in the past. It's the disasters that never disappear.

And, honestly, I was a little worried it wouldn't turn out well even if I didn't talk about it. The forty dollar price tag was a bit eyebrow raising. That usually suggests a lack of confidence in the game and trying to get as much out of it as possible before people catch on. Not to mention how little they were showing in the lead-up. It reminded me of Ride to Hell: Retribution, how that came out of nowhere priced at a pittance with no previews and how that panned out, so a part of me worried we were looking at another Sonic '06.

There are exceptions, of course - Katamari Damacy started life as a series as a bargain priced title - but it isn't always a good sign, especially with a bigger franchise.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #557
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
I can sort of understand both points of view on this, but really, is this argument solving anything/worth having?
You're right, it's not worth it. It's just annoying seeing the same broken record type of posts over and over again though when there are other things actually worth talking about.

Whatever Pap, you win. I submit, etc. etc. Post whatever you what about Forces till your heart's content.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #558
Papenbrook
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Like you're one to talk. You were never gonna give the game a chance in the first place.
Wrong.

I was going to give Sonic Forces a chance. Sonic Team promised that they worked as hard as they did on the game. They even delayed the launch date. I believed in them.

When more information started to flow out however, I began to ponder, then doubt their words. It wasn't until the Classic Sonic gameplay trailer that I began to question my own optimism.

The Avatar trailer really made me distrust them. I didn't want to believe it. However, the final straw for me was the Enter: Infinite trailer.

Oh god, was that a horrible trailer.

Since then, I began to dislike Sonic Forces. It was quite liberating for me. I no longer had to place my trust in people who break promises and mislead the fans.

Quote:
Nothing you said was "constructive criticism", you were hating on it for, quite frankly, ridiculous reasons.
So the criticism of choppy and unfinished animation, dull and unappealing colors, slippery and scripted gameplay, confusing and effortless controls, linear and boring level design, cheesy and mismatched dialogue, and an unfocused and incomplete storyline are all "ridiculous" reasons then?

Quote:
Every time you post in this thread it's just to talk about how much Forces sucks.
Think again.

Only 2-3 of my posts are like that. The rest of my posts are either me detailing constructive criticism and/or posting news/updates.

Quote:
You're right, it's not worth it. It's just annoying seeing the same broken record type of posts over and over again though when there are other things actually worth talking about.

Whatever Pap, you win. I submit, etc. etc. Post whatever you what about Forces till your heart's content.
Thank you.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 11-15-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #559
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Wrong.

I was going to give Sonic Forces a chance. Sonic Team promised that they worked as hard as they did on the game. They even delayed the launch date. I believed in them.

When more information started to flow out however, I began to ponder, then doubt their words. It wasn't until the Classic Sonic gameplay trailer that I began to question my own optimism.

The Avatar trailer really made me distrust them. I didn't want to believe it. However, the final straw for me was the Enter: Infinite trailer.

Oh god, was that a horrible trailer.

Since then, I began to dislike Sonic Forces. It was quite liberating for me. I no longer had to place my trust in people who break promises and mislead the fans.

So the criticism of choppy and unfinished animation, dull and unappealing colors, slippery and scripted gameplay, confusing and effortless controls, linear and boring level design, cheesy and mismatched dialogue, and an unfocused and incomplete storyline are all "ridiculous" reasons then?
The point is your "dislike" was blown into outright hate. Over a video game.

Tags
papenbrooksonicfetish, papenbrooktriggered, sega, sonic