The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #101
THGhost
Puppet Master

Maybe "confused" was the wrong word. They still won't get all the references 100%. That's fine though. That won't ruin their enjoyment of the movie.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #102
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
This was university and like myself they paid to be there so yeah not sure why they wouldn't get their monies worth.
I am not sure if all of them paid for it --- or had started paying for it yet. I know of several whose parents paid their way, others military. The most annoying one had tuition paid for by the military (though, you have to keep your grades up and I never saw her again after that class). She was obnoxiously over-confident and oddly enough lacked a serious amount of tact and discipline.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #103
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
I am not sure if all of them paid for it --- or had started paying for it yet. I know of several whose parents paid their way, others military. The most annoying one had tuition paid for by the military (though, you have to keep your grades up and I never saw her again after that class). She was obnoxiously over-confident and oddly enough lacked a serious amount of tact and discipline.
Literally after the first year of my degree my class whittled down to half. The half that stayed did so reluctantly. They honestly thought Film & TV Studies just involved watching movies.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:35 AM   #104
MathUser
Thug

I think everyone expects the turtles will be CG now. Having costumes is limiting. They can make them move more ninja like with CG. I just hope next time they make a live action movie they won't change the turtles in such a terrible way. Dressing them differently was fine with me, but I didn't like what they did to their faces.

Edit:

Don't do it Mikey!
MathUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #105
RaphaelsIsolation
Hench Mutant

Nah it wouldn't connect. While it is my favorite movie, and the best one I think... it is dated obviously.

That's the charm now. It literally has so many early 90s and late 80s stuff in there like the walkman, the Sid Vicious shirt, the music in general. It has a dark tone and basically is the first comic into a movie kinda.

I think it would do alright, but these cry children of today wouldn't get it.
RaphaelsIsolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #106
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

On the subject of things being dated. I have been going through the classic Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series lately and while the localization is glaringly obvious to me as an adult, as a kid, I never once noticed what was even then considered to be outdated effects or the even cheesier effects produced by Saban.

It was the it-show for a while, so a lot of kids didn't care about the cheesiness or "bad effects."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphaelsIsolation View Post
.....and basically is the first comic into a movie kinda.
Not really.

Superman: The Movie
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV
Supergirl
Batman: The Movie
Batman '89
Swamp Thing
Return of Swamp Thing
Tales From the Crypt (the 70s movie which pre-dated the show)
Vault of Horror

All of those came before TMNT '90. Dick Tracy came out the same year.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 02-08-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #107
Powder
So tired of this place

He means it adapts most of the first issue...

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:37 AM   #108
RaphaelsIsolation
Hench Mutant

Yeah. I mean why does everything I say get twisted around?

I mean doesn't the 1st movie have influence of the 1st comic? I always thought so. Maybe I'm crazy?
RaphaelsIsolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #109
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
On the subject of things being dated. I have been going through the classic Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series lately and while the localization is glaringly obvious to me as an adult, as a kid, I never once noticed what was even then considered to be outdated effects or the even cheesier effects produced by Saban.
I've been see bits of the newer PR shows and for some reason the early ones work better.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #110
Keifel
New Recruit

I don't think that the movie would work for the kids today. All the stuff in the movie is kinda to old for the actual generation. Some of them don't even know what a walkman is.

But for me it's the best TMNT movie
Keifel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #111
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yeah. I mean why does everything I say get twisted around?
It wasn't twisted around. You said "first comic into a movie kinda." That wordage implies you are talking general comics, not an actual story/issue/arc into a film. It was just the way you articulated it. Don't take it so personally.

Quote:
I mean doesn't the 1st movie have influence of the 1st comic? I always thought so. Maybe I'm crazy?
It sure does. From what I remember of the first issue, it has an early moment of Splinter talking to the Turtles in the lair. In the film, it's a life lesson. In the comic, he is sending them to kill his enemy, Shredder. Both end with a rooftop battle with Shredder. In the comic, if I recall, Leo stabs Shredder with his katana and Shredder tries to take everyone else with him by using a grenade, but the Turtles are able to dodge. (I know some people want the R-rated, straight from the early comics TMNT, but I actually prefer what they did with the 90s version.)

Of course, there is the retreating to the farm arc and Return to New York.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #112
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I mean doesn't the 1st movie have influence of the 1st comic?
That's a pretty loose term. Technically even the Fred Wolf cartoon has the "influence" of the first comic.

The first movie is pretty much night and day different from the first comic.

Quote:
In the comic, if I recall, Leo stabs Shredder with his katana and Shredder tries to take everyone else with him by using a grenade, but the Turtles are able to dodge. (I know some people want the R-rated, straight from the early comics TMNT, but I actually prefer what they did with the 90s version.)
There's plenty of ways to achieve just about everything from "the early comics TMNT" in a PG-13 rating pushed to the limit.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:24 AM   #113
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keifel View Post
I don't think that the movie would work for the kids today. All the stuff in the movie is kinda to old for the actual generation. Some of them don't even know what a walkman is.

But for me it's the best TMNT movie
That's no big problem. Let the children learn what it was.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #114
thingy
Foot Soldier

Has anyone thought to ask the children?

He hasn't seen the first one, but my nephew loved the Secret of the Ooze.
thingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #115
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingy View Post
Has anyone thought to ask the children?
I was actually thinking about that last night when I checked the thread. We have thirty-somethings, twenty-somethings, and probably some teenagers, but none of us are actually kids.

I can tell you how I was as a kid. I can even tell you what the kids at school were like, and I never once heard anything about films being dated. The boys at schooled loved Jaws and Alien, didn't complain about seeing the gears or anything. I know some were watching Godzilla films, including the B&W original. I was enjoying both the 60s Batman and the Keaton Batman.

Now, when we hit the teenage years, that's when I noticed the big change. For everyone in my class, it was about new music, new movies, new television, nothing else. I wasn't like that. I remember saying "I like classic rock" and one of my classmates said "Ugh, why? It's so old."

When I was in high school, I overheard someone talking about Papa Roach's "Last Resort," which was maybe two years old at the time, maybe even just one, and another girl "Ugh, that song is so old." And, of course, I had hit my "it has to be edgy" phase. That phase is a downward spiral into an all encompassing black hole of superficiality and unfortunately many end up forever stuck there.

I feel like it's when kids hit the teenage years that they become so picky about that stuff and I've only ever heard the words "eh, it's so dated" from teens and older.

Last edited by sgtfbomb; 02-12-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #116
Klunk1234
Hench Mutant

Quote:

It was the it-show for a while, so a lot of kids didn't care about the cheesiness or "bad effects."

Not really.

Superman: The Movie
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV
Supergirl
Batman: The Movie
Batman '89
Swamp Thing
Return of Swamp Thing
Tales From the Crypt (the 70s movie which pre-dated the show)
Vault of Horror

All of those came before TMNT '90. Dick Tracy came out the same year.
And the trilogy of Star Wars (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) are also classics and beloved by this new generation.
So, Ithink the 1990 TMNT will be loved by today's kids.
Klunk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990 film