The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #3021
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I know that people on here have mixed opinions on Andre the Black Nerd, but his reaction to the trailer is priceless.

ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #3022
saintsaucey
Hench Mutant

If you dont like andre it's probably cause you jealous. Dude is living the dream. I know he has a real job outside of all his videos but he could easily be the next Chris Hardwick and not have to "work" again
saintsaucey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #3023
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What does Andre do for a living? I cant really figure that out.

Anyone else read#11? I am curious as to your thoughts.
Spoiler:
An older alternate Tommy is the Mysterious White Ranger. That was not too hard to guess. I have heard another theory or two, but this was the main and likely direction. The Black Dragon is a remodeled Dragonzord? I thought Black Dragon could change his size though? While it makes sense there is a hole or two in that. Saba is around, but as an inanimate captive? Whatever they do I just want to keep Tommy in Green.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #3024
saintsaucey
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What does Andre do for a living? I cant really figure that out.

Anyone else read#11? I am curious as to your thoughts.
Spoiler:
An older alternate Tommy is the Mysterious White Ranger. That was not too hard to guess. I have heard another theory or two, but this was the main and likely direction. The Black Dragon is a remodeled Dragonzord? I thought Black Dragon could change his size though? While it makes sense there is a hole or two in that. Saba is around, but as an inanimate captive? Whatever they do I just want to keep Tommy in Green.
I'm not sure what he does. Same with Pixel Dan and I have met him twice. I wish AMC had given Pixel Dan and Andre a tv show rather than Kevin Smith and Greg Weisman.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #3025
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsaucey View Post
If you dont like andre it's probably cause you jealous. Dude is living the dream.
Yes, that's clearly it. -_-
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #3026
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
If you dont like andre it's probably cause you jealous. Dude is living the dream. I know he has a real job outside of all his videos but he could easily be the next Chris Hardwick and not have to "work" again
Didn't Andre hype Out of the Shadows to death only to then help James Rolfe and Doug Walker critisize it?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #3027
saintsaucey
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Didn't Andre hype Out of the Shadows to death only to then help James Rolfe and Doug Walker critisize it?
Opinions can change. And you can still enjoy something while making fun of its flaws.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #3028
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here is Andre breaking down the trailer.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #3029
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
He hyped up all the various trailers and info releases about Out of the Shadows but his actual review of the movie he seemed rather underwhelmed by it.

I find it more than a little ironic that three high profile cheerleaders for a Fred Wolf inspired movie and advocates for the franchise to "embrace the goofyness" ended up being disappointed by the movie that did just that.

For me that Power Rangers trailer pretty much showed what was wrong with Out of the Shadows. Granted I'm a traditionalist so I would prefer designs and story closer to the classics but ultimately it looks like it's giving people what they expect to see. Putty fights, Zord battles. It may or may not be a good movie but it will at very least please us to the lowest common denominator and try and not Rise of the Silver Surfer Galactus cloud us like OOTS did.

Last edited by Galactus; 01-19-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #3030
sdp
-

The movie trailer is alright, it doesn't look amazing by any means but come on everything leading up to the trailers looked beyond awful they genuinely seem to be doing the best they can with what they got so I'm going to be watching it, the PD TMNT movie looked terrible but somehow the characters worked for me even if they messed up most things. I'm guessing it'll be something similar, especially since this movie seems to be echoing a lot of that other movie.

I finished season 3 of MMPR, well I guess technically I didn't but if Netflix considers Alien Rangers another series then I do too. This season is indeed weird, it's boring and this isn't the power rangers show I used to love but at the same time it's also interesting since things are constantly changing so even if some ideas aren't that great tehy are replaced rather quickly and evolving over the course of the season so you're never stuck with something bad for long. This season in particular was very serialized and man it's really connected to Zeo so I'm going to have to watch Zeo but I think it'll work out and I'll get close to finishing it before I start school. I like kat piloting with Tommy, why they chose her is really odd, what a weird choice to replace Kimberly and she had so many episodes to establish her, she's as bland as the other replacements. Why not use the sword of light to transfer the powers? IT would've helped smooth out things out why it was used before and done better. The whole "No I"m staying as a PR. Oh ok you convinced me good thing I told Kat and Alpha just in case you did" was a rather odd comment and didn't go on very well.

There are not many character episodes anymore, I guess this is why we never really bonded with the new cast as kids, the old cast had the benefit of having the previous seasons but that's the nature of making it more serialized. The metallic armor is ridiculous yet awesome, I wish that had been brought back in another season, I remember as a kid I thought the metallic armor would be the movie armor and was mad that it was only glitter

I still loved power rangers when S3 aired as a kid but I guess the popularity had waned? I loved it as a kid still even if I wasn't a fan of many of their decisions. The ninja stuff does make it lose it's appeal like I said it doesn't feel like the original show so maybe that's why it wasn't as popular even if it was only 3 years in. It also feels like a transition season for us to get used to the rangers not having anything to do with Dinosaurs and constant changes and to guide us to "Zeo" which would give us the more "yearly" sentai format of themes changing. I was also really mad as a kid they were slowly making the dinosaurs obsolete, in hindsight they should've broken from it since S2 even if it was a big risk, I think if they'd done that it would've definitely alienated fans at the time the fad was at it's peak but it would've also helped in the long run Power Rangers keep fans instead of losing so many of them after the fad died. Short term vs long term profits basically.

Other random comments. Ninjor and the rangers escalated the battles on more than one occasion. Rita and Zedd repeated many plots to attack the rangers, did the writers not have a "we already used ____ as a plot"?

Quote:
hahaha
Quote:
Jealosy? Not his style is just annoying, I was a huge BlackNerdFan years ago before he started doing the daily videos and those old videos really are quality but then he changed to the "geek culture" is cool crowd and he's been more of a "hipster" geek since then. Alien Rangers and then Zeo so about 60 episodes left.

I'm happy for him since he always seemed as a chill guy but I understand the hate, in fact I'm tired of him as well because online people act as if he represented geek culture or had actual good opinions about upcoming projects when it's been clear as day he's a shill to any company and what's worse is he tries to make videos about anything "nerdy" so his fans spam his videos everywhere as if his biased/often uneducated opinions were any good and often they aren't not to mention he expresses his opinion on stuff he shouldn't be nostalgic about since he's too old to have even seen them and thiss is obvious as he has no real knowledge of them, he should stick to 80s stuff.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #3031
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post

I finished season 3 of MMPR, well I guess technically I didn't but if Netflix considers Alien Rangers another series then I do too.
They had it listed as "season 3.5". It's also the case with the DVDs.

Quote:

I like kat piloting with Tommy, why they chose her is really odd, what a weird choice to replace Kimberly and she had so many episodes to establish her, she's as bland as the other replacements. Why not use the sword of light to transfer the powers? IT would've helped smooth out things out why it was used before and done better. The whole "No I"m staying as a PR. Oh ok you convinced me good thing I told Kat and Alpha just in case you did" was a rather odd comment and didn't go on very well.
I always figured that they didn't use the Sword of Light to transfer Kimberly's powers to Kat because the power coins used at those times were different. When the Sword of Light was used, they still had the Dino Power Coins. The coins they had in season 3 were Ninja Power Coins.

Quote:

There are not many character episodes anymore, I guess this is why we never really bonded with the new cast as kids, the old cast had the benefit of having the previous seasons but that's the nature of making it more serialized. The metallic armor is ridiculous yet awesome, I wish that had been brought back in another season, I remember as a kid I thought the metallic armor would be the movie armor and was mad that it was only glitter
But there was nothing metallic about the movie armor.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #3032
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Omg that trailer though?! Wow I think I finally may have gotten more excited about this movie

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #3033
Shark_Blade
Emperor

That trailer turned me into a fan girl. I've got a good feeling about this.

So I wanna start watching the series. Season 1 dvd or perhaps boxset like tmnt?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #3035
Allio
Foot Elite

well, that's a mess.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #3036
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Looks cheesy but the designs look cool, and it might actually be good.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #3037
sdp
-

I finished watching Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers and it's kind of weird, I specifically remember the last time I saw Power Rangers as a kid was the last episode of S3 before the alien rangers mini-series begins with Zedd and the others gigantic and the rangers as kids however I also remember watching what happened in the alien ranger saga. Now in hindsight watching all the Alien Ranger mini-series is awesome almost as if a lost season and too bad we didn't get more kakuranger morphed footage but what we got was still great. The zeo quest really did set up Zeo perfectly and would've made the transition better of course at the time I thought it was just another random quest like the sword of light or whatever that was quickly forgotten. I liked Goldar/Rito being underground it was a lot of fun, definitely brought the comedy missing from Bulk/Skull. Hydro Hog was awesome and I'm glad he was set up as being the "big bad" of Aquatar and not just a random monster of the day. The whole Aisha power transfer to Tanya was so weird and badly handled, I just remember as a kid not caring much since I didn't like Aisha anyway. Billy being the only one who wasn't a kid was cool, I liked seeing him and wow he really does look like he evolved a lot character wise from the first season. I found it odd that every time Tengas attacked he was useless, I mean he fought countless of monsters without morphing and here he just stands around and let's the alien rangers do all the work, it would've been nice to have him fight and even morph into the classic suit one last time especially since they knew he wouldn't be a ranger next season.

I wrote about my thoughts on the upcoming movie at miscrave, I'm a bit bummed that I waited for so many years for a MMPR movie and this doesn't even use the MMPR theme very well and seems generic Power Rangers which would be fine if it was its own thing, everything about it seems a mess but I somehow think it'll somehow work in the end result.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #3038
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The first episode of Ninja Steel was a solid start to the series. I'm looking forward to seeing what Lynn will do with episodes mostly taking place at school. The museum setting for Dino Charge was a really nice change of pace, but I think it's smart to have the rangers spending time at a school this season since that is where plenty of scenes of the reboot will take place. It might be early to say this, but from what I've seen from this episode the characters do have some personality and don't come across as robotic like the the majority of Tzachor's rangers were in the Neo-Saban era.

Also, Entertainment Weekly shared a video of the reboot's trailer with the classic theme song.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/01/22/powe...al-theme-song/
Old 01-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #3039
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Eh... I think I could make a better mashup instead of just copy paste from the tv theme. The trailer sound effect is missing and it's pretty important for the overall feel of it. :/
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:02 PM   #3040
sdp
-

Watched the Zeo Serial after finishing MMPR and it's cool, this never aired where I lived but it would've gotten me super excited in fact as a kid I probably thought Power Rangers was cancelled as it got taken off the air after S3, I did find out about the other seasons not long after and even got to see a little of Zeo/Turbo but for the most part the franchise was dead. Dragon Ball and Video Games kept me from being too sad about it though The Zeo serial works fine I don't know why the wikis mention that it's non-canon because of A Zeo beginning, it can still fit, I mean what's PRs without retcons.

I got to see Zeo a little bit in the "Best of Power Rangers" on Disney when I got back to the franchise with SPD but of course they skipped a bunch of episodes but I remember loving it and how epic it felt. So far I'm 1/3rd through it and it's been really lackluster, the machine empire had this huge opening act but after that it's become generic motd plots more akin to the first season of MMPR the problem is none of the heroes/villains are as interesting as the first season and the episodes are a lot blander at least right now. S3 and even 2 had a lot of story arcs so it made them go "faster" so even if things weren't perfect things were changing constantly but not in Zeo. Rocky/Adam are indeed a little more likeable than in MMPR, Tanya makes no sense though, she has generic plots instead of focusing that she's in a different country/different time.. It's a bit ridiculous to see the Rangers still in High School though I wish that had been avoided and people wouldn't have questioned it but I guess now they're supposed to be freshmen in Season 1? The cast just looks too old for that still by that point, they looked like Seniors maybe Juniors in the first season.

Kim breaking up with Tommy deserved a three parter? wow, what's weird is their relationship wasn't even that developed outside of like 3 kisses in all three seasons together there was hardly much affection besides "good friends" or "they like each other" they never really showed signs of being in a relationship. But they bring Kat who'll replace Kimberly and even make a plot about how she'll steal Tommy away from Kimberly, a relationship all fans love and then barely a season later Tommy is now with her? They really played up the relationship in that 3 parter. I don't know why but I used to hate that Tommy ended up with Kat but now it's kind of fine with me even if I do prefer the Kim ship but we know the canon ship will always be Kat as they are seen together as old with a son whose a Power Ranger. Hilarious how Heather is used by both Tommy and Kat, the life of a rebound, ouch I feel bad for her though even if she looked so much older than the rest of the cast making it a bit creepy but man on man were the rangers the bad guys here and she was the victim, best episodes so far.

Tommy looks bored in a lot of episodes, it's nice seeing him in red though. The Zeo suits i hated for a long time but they grew on me and now they're some of my favorites. Hope the next few episodes do get better as I remembered and fans seem to agree that it's a great season.

I'll be watching Scorpion Rain to finish off the marathon, I should finish by the end of the week and just before school. Only two things I missed were the Bulk/Skull and Zedd's Halloween VHS specials since I couldn't find a copy to watch them anywhere.

Last edited by sdp; 01-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Tags
power rangers