The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 01-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #61
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
Homeschool shouldn't be expensive
I was responding to the option there that wasn't a joke. My wife and I aren't teachers, and the idea of either one of us quitting our day job to play FAKE teacher at home is neither sustainable or realistic... but certainly not an option of any kind.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #62
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Yeah horrible things have always happen. But I don’t think more people becoming aware of all these horrible things is bad.
I think this is bad, because, it instills paranoia and depression in people.

I am not saying news sites should keep quite if something bad happens, but the problem is that news agencies LOVE to show primarily bad news, because, they make ratings.
And more people consume bad news the more paranoid and depressed they become. And more divided. In many ways current situation has originated, because of constant fear-mongering and paranoia, instilled by news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
As a mentally ill person I am more than a bit tired for me and mine being blamed for the faux entitlement of others.
Oh, yes, as always, PC finds a way to make another "tearful" argument about herself.

You probably should finally learn that when people speak about someone, they don't mean literally you. Which is a common sentiment among "internet-lefties".
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #63
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I was responding to the option there that wasn't a joke. My wife and I aren't teachers, and the idea of either one of us quitting our day job to play FAKE teacher at home is neither sustainable or realistic... but certainly not an option of any kind.
Oh I wasn't joking. I know people who've homeschooled for reasons far less severe than being actively concerned for the physical safety of their children.

Consider reaching out to your local community. They can probably help with subjects you and your wife feel like you'd need help with.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #64
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
The criminals don't follow the law argument conveniently neglects the fact that laws give a wronged party avenues for redress.

The speed limit's not going to keep most people from speeding, but guess who's going to be at fault should the speeder get into an accident and harm another person.

If you don't like no gun zones, I would highly suggest not going to them.

And I'll be honest, I don't think the people who pull these Mass school shootings are mentally ill, I think they're entitled.
The one that no one talked about where the guy came in and shot his ex-girlfriend, that's not mental illness that's entitlement.
Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD) Could possibly work. And maybe some of the shooters also have co-occuring disorders such as a personality disorder and substance use disorder.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #65
plastroncafe

Quote:
Antisocial Personality Disorder (ASPD) Could possibly work.
Maybe?
But we'd need them to be seen by a shrink to be certain.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #66
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Maybe?
But we'd need them to be seen by a shrink to be certain.
Very difficult to see a professional considering they are deceased. Perhaps science can advance enough that postmortem brain scans could be used to determine if mental illness was present. But what does it really matter because it would not help the victims breathe air again.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #67
plastroncafe

Quote:
Very difficult to see a professional considering they are deceased. Perhaps science can advance enough that postmortem brain scans could be used to determine if mental illness was present. But what does it really matter because it would not help the victims breathe air again.
Ha, well yeah...there is that.
I'm actually kind of curious whether some forms of mental illness are detectable in solely the gross anatomy. I mean, so many of them are the result of non-neurotypical neurotransmitter generation/release/function, that I'd be curious to know if straight up histology would be enough for a postmortem.

Sadly, more Medical Neurology isn't on the docket this semester.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #68
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Ha, well yeah...there is that.
I'm actually kind of curious whether some forms of mental illness are detectable in solely the gross anatomy. I mean, so many of them are the result of non-neurotypical neurotransmitter generation/release/function, that I'd be curious to know if straight up histology would be enough for a postmortem.

Sadly, more Medical Neurology isn't on the docket this semester.
Only time will tell but I’m sure people are working on it. Just google PTSD and brain scans or mental illness brain scans. Info for days.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #69
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I think this is bad, because, it instills paranoia and depression in people.

I am not saying news sites should keep quite if something bad happens, but the problem is that news agencies LOVE to show primarily bad news, because, they make ratings.
And more people consume bad news the more paranoid and depressed they become.
People need not react negatively to bad news. Could motivate some to join red cross or something.

People react differently to bad news. It may contribute to some people’s paranoia and depression. But not everyone. Some may just become desensitized. Or remain unaffected. It may take one news story for some while others it takes repeated exposure. Or nothing happens from watching the news except maybe starting a foundation or charity.

Seems near scapegoating. Reminds me of how video games and heavy metal music gets blamed for things. I know I hear repeated bad news often from multiple news sources. I’m not paranoid or depressed because of it. Those issues are because of my parents. LOL
Old 01-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #70
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
People need not react negatively to bad news. Could motivate some to join red cross or something.

People react differently to bad news. It may contribute to some people’s paranoia and depression. But not everyone. Some may just become desensitized. Or remain unaffected. It may take one news story for some while others it takes repeated exposure. Or nothing happens from watching the news except maybe starting a foundation or charity.

Seems near scapegoating. Reminds me of how video games and heavy metal music gets blamed for things. I know I hear repeated bad news often from multiple news sources. I’m not paranoid or depressed because of it. Those issues are because of my parents. LOL
If you have nothing, but bad news surrounding you 24/7 - than it is a sure way to paranoia. And since TV and Internet care about ratings they try to bring as much bad news news as possible.

Yes, for some people it might be a motivation to do something, but for most people - it's just source of irritation and depression, because, most people are busy with daily lives to join Red Cross or whatever.

I've experienced this effect on myself several years ago, so I know what I am talking about.

And I am not talking about you - don't become second PC, please.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #71
plastroncafe

Quote:

I remember during undergrad a social psych paper that studied violence in children. What they found was that children who modeled their behavior on violent media were less violent when they were exposed to a grounding adult presence. Basically, if parents talked to their kids about what they were watching they were less likely to model the violent behavior were consuming from the media.

It's less the media, and more what we do before/during/after we consume it.
Who knows, maybe a stronger, more cohesive and less nihilistic community could have helped the kid who went looking to kill his ex-girlfriend.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #72
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
If you have nothing, but bad news surrounding you 24/7 - than it is a sure way to paranoia. And since TV and Internet care about ratings they try to bring as much bad news news as possible.

Yes, for some people it might be a motivation to do something, but for most people - it's just source of irritation and depression, because, most people are busy with daily lives to join Red Cross or whatever.

I've experienced this effect on myself several years ago, so I know what I am talking about.

And I am not talking about you - don't become second PC, please.
I never said you were talking about me. I used myself as an example that not everyone becomes depressed or paranoid. The same way you are using yourself as an example that some people do. I don’t think we can say either way how most people are affected or how they react. We only know about how ourselves and maybe people in our daily lives react. We do not know all the people who consume media and the mood it may or may not put them in after consuming said media.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #73
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
I remember during undergrad a social psych paper that studied violence in children. What they found was that children who modeled their behavior on violent media were less violent when they were exposed to a grounding adult presence. Basically, if parents talked to their kids about what they were watching they were less likely to model the violent behavior were consuming from the media.

It's less the media, and more what we do before/during/after we consume it.
Who knows, maybe a stronger, more cohesive and less nihilistic community could have helped the kid who went looking to kill his ex-girlfriend.
Sounds about right.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #74
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, I can buy into that.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #75
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I never said you were talking about me. I used myself as an example that not everyone becomes depressed or paranoid. The same way you are using yourself as an example that some people do. I don’t think we can say either way how most people are affected or how they react. We only know about how ourselves and maybe people in our daily lives react. We do not know all the people who consume media and the mood it may or may not put them in after consuming said media.
Actually, it is more or less proven fact that bad news can contribute to development of anxiety and depression.
This is the same reason why propaganda is a thing.

I know, it is probably not the best source, but still.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #76
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Actually, it is more or less proven fact that bad news can contribute to development of anxiety and depression.
This is the same reason why propaganda is a thing.

I know, it is probably not the best source, but still.
Saying that something has been more or less proven does not sound very convincing. But I agree that bad news could contribute to depression and anxiety. Obviously your hear sad news your going to feel a little empathetic. But I don’t necessarily agree that most people become paranoid and depressed from watching the evening news. Some, yes. Most, no. Probably comes down to the dosage and tolerance. And the persons predisposition to depression. Everyone is different.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #77
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Saying that something has been more or less proven does not sound very convincing. But I agree that bad news could contribute to depression and anxiety. Obviously your hear sad news your going to feel a little empathetic. But I don’t necessarily agree that most people become paranoid and depressed from watching the evening news. Some, yes. Most, no. Probably comes down to the dosage and tolerance. And the persons predisposition to depression. Everyone is different.
Only evening news, yes, obviously you won't caught depression.

But some people more or less always in the informational stream via tablets and smartphones. Now that's what I mean.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #78
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
The criminals don't follow the law argument conveniently neglects the fact that laws give a wronged party avenues for redress.

The speed limit's not going to keep most people from speeding, but guess who's going to be at fault should the speeder get into an accident and harm another person.

If you don't like no gun zones, I would highly suggest not going to them.

And I'll be honest, I don't think the people who pull these Mass school shootings are mentally ill, I think they're entitled.
The one that no one talked about where the guy came in and shot his ex-girlfriend, that's not mental illness that's entitlement.
Specifically to the bold point, the Post Office is a gun free zone. Its far worse for me to leave my gun in my car for 5 minutes when I go to mail an item than it is for it to stay holstered on my hip for those same five minutes.

Also, if the shooter is dead, where does one get redress for their dead or wounded children? If the front office staff or teachers are armed (those with training and who would normally carry) why shouldn't they be allowed to? Why does the Second only work outside. The Constitution doesn't say "*but not in schools, federal buildings and the post office" after "shall not be infringed"...

Mentally ill people already aren't allowed guns. Criminals are already not supposed to own or have in their possession guns. Dishonorable discharge from any branch of the military means no guns. The problem isn't guns, its more of teaching people how to deal with rejection, being told no and consequences of their actions. Kid screws off in class and there is no repercussion.... I survived HS with guns on the property... pretty sure they weren't supposed to be there even in the late 90s but no one had them inside the building... just the guys that hunted had a rifle or two in their trucks... lol.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
andrew likes tags, plastron hates white men*, plastrons tears, second pc